Using 22LR in garden??

gixer1

After reading another post on here about someone using a shot gun in the garden I wonder if you lot could give me your opinion on using a 22LR in my garden, it is around 3/4 of an acre and basically square, i have taken a picture along the back edge, on one edge i have a wood for approx a 1/2 mile and on the other side of the pic is my house, there is a house on either side of my property.

so what do you think?

Gixer

post-10812-1242631731.jpg

post-10812-1242631748.jpg

Edited by gixer1

depends if its silenced or not... :good::mad:

no, i dont know what the law on it is, but i wouldnt; looking at those pics the garden seems to go uphill without a good backstop, so that way wouldnt be ideal; also you wouldnt want to shoot side to side incase it goes into a neighbours property and does damage :mad:

If there is nothing straight back behind the pine trees, I'd be tempted. With a silencer and subs, the neighbors won't be the wiser. You'd be best to shoot from the upstairs window, down into the dirt. That will do for a backstop.

Of course the questions becomes whether you have an open ticket because I'm sure your force won't authorize that land for shooting.

Thanks,

Rick

These photos are before i started "landscaping" so i'll take some and post them to show the new layout, I don't need to shoot anything but just thought it's be nice to have a little range for the 22 in the garden, the neighbours are not a problem as they are all fantastic (and would like to see the rabbit's controlled in all honesty)

i'll repost some more pics...

Thanks for the input

Gixer..

Just make sure its a very good backstop man. Don't want to be taking chances do you, ask yourself is it worth losing your licence over ?

Aslong as you can make it safe then go for it man :good: Don't use the wood for a backstop btw. Someone could be walking through and get hit :mad: lol

Guest topshot_2k

i have seen pest controllers use .22lr on less land than that and in urban areas. They use the upstairs window so they shot into the ground :hmm:

after sitting in a high seat near you the other night for a while and seeing nothing but doe's i drove home and there was a fox at the entrance to my street!

And i meant to say to everybody a big thank you to Nipper for helping me build the dog run palace.... :angry:

Edited by gixer1

• 3 months later...

an open ticket refers to the restrictions removed where as you can asess the land for safety issuse s your self instead of asking police for a check of land. ;)

and you get one by asking firearms dept . different forces have different rules on this ,but normally granted after 3 years ,some quicker some longer.wont know unless you ask them .

Edited by codling99

Aha it will be interested to look for this once I have my FAC and I go hunting, at the moment I don't think I need to be too concerned too much with the open ticket.

OMG! Look at my post count! :hmm:

iam sure the law says that you can fire any gun in your own garden as long as the bullet or the shoot DOES NOT leave your garden if it does then you can get done for it but iam not 100%

That only applies to air guns...... there is nothing about shotguns or fac

as long as there's a backstop I can't see the problem. I've used shotgun and HMR with no probs. I shoot into the ground, but shoot into a log. Slightly different as there are no nearby neighbours.

Richochets could be a bit of problem though :blink:

Edited by George1990