Am I really a wimp?

SXPhil

No I don't think you are,

I know lots of people who only shoot clays, nothing wrong in that. If you do move onto it then fair do's but if you don't you don't.

I personally do not have any issues with shooting birds etc as everything I shoot that is edible gets put in to the food chain. Mostly used ny myself and some is given to people that I know will use it. I eat meat and know that every piece of meat however obtain comes from the death of an animal.

The ones I shoot are wholey organic, free range and completely natural, unlike the **** that you can buy in a supermarket

You are definitely not alone, but I would imagine you'll come round to the idea of shooting live quarry in time. Clays just cannot compare to the unbridled excitement and challenge of a good day's decoying.

Over the past year, interest in stalking deer has faded to nothing, and I have killed more rabbits than I care to think about. I also would not give a stuff if I never shot another fox again, and I find the idea of shooting hares increasingly unpleasant. I am facing the prospect of mopping up several thousand rabbits as soon as we (start and) finish combining here, and I have none of the enthusiasm for it that I once did. My time is becoming increasingly valuable, and as such, I am now only interested in the aspects of shooting that genuinely interest me. I could chuck in all my centrefires tomorrow, but positively relish the idea of a summer of decoying and a season of duck flighting and rough shooting.

Due to the fact I cann't promise to be there when A farmer needs me, I don't shoot live quarry, but given the time and certainity I'd be there, doing pest control, or hunting to fill the larder !

but if you're not that way inclined, so be it, I do not think any less or more of you.

M.

You are definitely not alone, but I would imagine you'll come round to the idea of shooting live quarry in time. Clays just cannot compare to the unbridled excitement and challenge of a good day's decoying.

I don't think they're meant to compare though. Clays are a competitive sport, whereas shooting game isn't. If it wasn't for the competitive element of it, I couldn't just carry on blasting clays, I'd have become bored with that a long time ago.

I think a lot of game shooters assume that clays are a substitute for shooting live game, whereas clay shooters don't think of the sport like that at all. :good:

I don't think they're meant to compare though. Clays are a competitive sport, whereas shooting game isn't. If it wasn't for the competitive element of it, I couldn't just carry on blasting clays, I'd have become bored with that a long time ago.

I think a lot of game shooters assume that clays are a substitute for shooting live game, whereas clay shooters don't think of the sport like that at all. :good:

A fair comment Chard, and perhaps I misrepresented things. I don't think of clays as a substitute.

Horses for courses, nothing wrong with just wanting to shoot clays or paper if that is what you want.

But live shooting gets you out to places, and at times you may never go otherwise.

You can't compare a clay ground or a rifle range with the hills in Scotland or similar places, the sports are just completely different.

Paper punching with the rifle bores me, I only do what I have to do, and no more.

Clays can be a bit of a laugh with the right crowd, but as soon as there is any queueing I am bored again.

Yet I can sit out in a field waiting for quarry or in a river waiting for a fish for hours without really getting fed up.

"It's a funny old game"

I shoot clays because I enjoy it, rats because the little ******** cause havoc with me chickens. I don't tend to shoot live quarry, because I don't think we should do it for 'sport', only for pest control. That said, I don't believe its wrong to enjoy shooting live quarry, as long as it is being conducted for the appropriate reasons

Phil .

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way you feel and you are not a wimp . If you should ever want to see what happens on a days pigeon shooting and fancy a trip to norfolk i would be happy to take you out . You dont have to shoot ,but could watch and make your own mind up about game shooting .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I was truly gutted, (felt a bit sick)! :blush: when I shot my first Goose, excited at first but I thought 'what a lovely bird' when I picked it up.....I did have doubts about killing another but did and still feel a twinge of guilt but they get eaten and enjoyed. If you enjoy killing for killings sake then that's another thing though.

No......not a wimp atall

each to their own m8 ... if u dont like it then there is nothing wrong in that . I do shoot live ( and love wildfowling ) but all i shoot with the exception of rats :blush: ends up on the table .... what i dont agree with is rich toffs who cant shoot for toffee and have no respect for the countryside or anything to do with it having a ' days sport ' during the seeason because its the 'in thing' to do.

each to their own m8 ... if u dont like it then there is nothing wrong in that . I do shoot live ( and love wildfowling ) but all i shoot with the exception of rats :blush: ends up on the table .... what i dont agree with is rich toffs who cant shoot for toffee and have no respect for the countryside or anything to do with it having a ' days sport ' during the seeason because its the 'in thing' to do.

DING DING

CLASS WAR!!!!!! :good:

DING DING

CLASS WAR!!!!!! :good:

no not at all ... i do shoot game and true game shooters have a lot of respect for the countryside and what they shoot. :blush:

i just dont like the red letter day shooters who as i said just do it because its the ' in thing ' to do