Am I really a wimp?

SXPhil

I love smashing the old clays but Killing animals even though they are pests just doesn't appeal to me

am I alone?

Or is it something I will move onto at some stage

No you're not. Each to their own, no problem with those who do, and I'd defend their right to do it, but I couldn't, so I'll stick to clays!! :blush:

If you tried decoying and shot a good few you'd probably not regret it.

Clay shooting is technical. Shoot the same two targets five times and try to hit them each time. With game it's pretty much an instintive shot every time, making it more satisfying when a shot is on target.

I do find it a chore plucking and breasting pigeons but it is more than worth it for the excitement of the shot. Can't beat eating something that's only been shot a moment before hand and by yourself. :rolleyes::lol:

Clay shooting is technical. Shoot the same two targets five times and try to hit them each time. With game it's pretty much an instintive shot every time, making it more satisfying when a shot is on target.

Still missing the point though. It's not just breaking clays, that gets boring quickly.

It's winning. It's a competitive sport. That's why clay shooters do it. I often see comments on here from game shooters who shoot clays, going on about only doing it for fun, doesn't matter about winning. That's fine, nothing wrong with that, but they're the ones who'll get bored with it and are saying that game shooting is more exciting etc.

Whether the winning is an national level or club level, or just stuffing your mates, that's what it's all about. Hard to explain really. Some people are "competitive", some aren't. Some people are just too competitive and become an irritation, but that's why most people shoot clays/play football/darts/snooker. Completely different mindset to hunting (I understand both mindsets, because I go fishing as well). I understand Stuartp's comments about being out in wide open spaces in Scotland and it doesn't matter if you don't get a shot or catch a fish. But that's a different sport.

It's pointless to compare the two sports, the only thing they have in common is the use of shotguns (or other guns).

Edited by Chard

Still missing the point though. It's not just breaking clays, that gets boring quickly.

It's winning. It's a competitive sport. That's why clay shooters do it. I often see comments on here from game shooters who shoot clays, going on about only doing it for fun, doesn't matter about winning. That's fine, nothing wrong with that, but they're the ones who'll get bored with it and are saying that game shooting is more exciting etc.

Whether the winning is an national level or club level, or just stuffing your mates, that's what it's all about. Hard to explain really. Some people are "competitive", some aren't. Some people are just too competitive and become an irritation, but that's why most people shoot clays/play football/darts/snooker. Completely different mindset to hunting (I understand both mindsets, because I go fishing as well). I understand Stuartp's comments about being out in wide open spaces in Scotland and it doesn't matter if you don't get a shot or catch a fish. But that's a different sport.

It's pointless to compare the two sports, the only thing they have in common is the use of shotguns (or other guns).

chard i understand what youre saying but dont agree. im one of those game shooters who only shoot clays for practice or a bit of fun, but im still competitive, and so are the guys i shoot with.

last time i was decoying crows my mates sneaked up behind my hide and shot 3 crows that were coming in, just before i pulled the trigger. the simple reason was to wind me up and say they had to shoot them for me! this morning ive just texted one of my mates that i got another 4 rabbits last night, and asked how many he's got this year? :lol:

for me clays are too predictable to get into them seriousley, i dont get the same satisfaction. clays are simpler (and dont take that the wrong way im not dissing clay shooters) than game shooting. for clays you stand at your peg, call pull and 99% chance youll get a clay to shoot, all you have to do is hit it (yes i know, not as simple as it sounds). but game shooting takes an awful lot of work before you can even swing your gun up, and if you dont do it right you wont even get the chance to take a shot - selecting the right path to take through a field, or deciding where the best place to set a hide up, or what pattern of decoys to use, or, and most importantly to me, whens the best time to take the shot.

the amount of work that can go into taking a single shot is staggering sometimes when you really think about it, but the feeling i get when everything comes together and i get a good bag of crows and pigeons, or make that 70 yard headshot with the 22, is not something ive ever got from clays. Especially when you can text your mate at 8.30am telling him about that 70 yard headshot :lol:

but thats just my opinion, youre right tho that the two sports are totally different :rolleyes:

Edited by babbyc1000

Maybe game shooters still have the Hunter Gatherer instinct and can take a life without giving it a thought, the main primal objective being something fresh to eat that night.

The competition I find is with the quarry. Can you outwit a wild animal who's instinct is to survive? Many days you can't, but the days that you do, bring that adrenaline rush, as addictive as nicotine and alcohol, that make you want to go out and do it all over again.

Initially I get this, when I shoot clays to keep my eye in so to speak, after missing more than I hit in the field. Unlike the Pigeons, the clays keep coming, as long as you have enough money that is, and once you are on them this induces boredom. I presume all the different stages in clay shooting were introduced to resolve the monotony of it.

This never happens with shooting Pigeons.

Sounds like way too much work for my liking. I just wanna go out and make lots of noise and break things with minimum fuss. :rolleyes:

Ditto. Although I do enjoy pigeon shooting, I am far too impatient and trigger happy to sit around all day waiting to see if anything will appear. On the clays all you have to do is shout "pull" at the top of your lungs and you get to blow something to bits there and then!! :lol:

When i first shot at a pigeon i was a little worried myself to be honest, picking up that first bird which is still warm, is another feeling all together..

But if you dont want to shoot live quarry then dont, just enjoy your clay shooting, which is still good fun.

I have also joined a wildfowling club and although i have shot some wigeons and mallard what im really dreading is shoting a goose, but at the same time im excited about shooting one also.....i know it makes no sense

I can sit out in a field waiting for quarry or in a river waiting for a fish for hours without really getting fed up.

"It's a funny old game"

I think this is an excellent statement & sums up just about all Game/pest shooters and fishermen

Edited by monkeymagic1969

Due to the fact I cann't promise to be there when A farmer needs me, I don't shoot live quarry, but given the time and certainity I'd be there, doing pest control, or hunting to fill the larder !

but if you're not that way inclined, so be it, I do not think any less or more of you.

M.

:good:

I admit I like pigeon shooting over deeks, but you need lots of time so for the moment I stick with the clays.

As long as most of what is shot is eaten (not rats, and I'm not that keen on corvid' although my mother made a passable "rook pie") I don't see a problem.

D

not only will I not shoot any animal but I feed a tiny fox cub that comes to my back door for food every night. Bet that brings a few comments.

Looking at this and your other post, you clearly don't shoot, so why are you on here? :yes:

Did you really join a forum just to post this stuff?

1st off I really enjoy shooting clays. I'm not a veggie, into animal rights or any of that stuff.

Shooting vermin to control the spread of disease. damage to crops is fine with me.

On the other hand shooting pheasant/partridge/duck and calling it 'sport' seems kind of mean. To be 'sporting' all the participants would need to know the rules. and half of them clearly don't - fleeing in abject fear and being shot at isn't right. The only exception - for me anyway is the shooter who eats/sells his quarry as we humans do have the rights that go with living at the top of the food chain.

Im only interseted in competition shooting these days, there is no challenge for me in killing an animal using modern firearms, instead the challenge of trying to beat an advesary that can think as I do is far more exciting.

Unlike clay shooting or paper punching practical shooting is much more varied, you never get the same target presentation twice, every stage presents a different challenge & thats what keeps it interesting.

Within the IPSC organisation practical matches are held for shotgun, rifle & pistol. http://www.ipsc.org/

I along with other UK competitors will be traveling to the largest practical shotgun match in europe this September held in the Czech republic, since taking up the sport my shooting has been far more rewarding, simply killing a dumb creature now seems pointless to me, I can thoroughly recommend the change.

N

Clays,rough shooting,driven game,its all good sport (not that I have done the driven game but would like to). I mainly rough shoot and gauge my success more from my enjoyment of the day rather than the size of the bag (dont tell the farmer). I just love being out there and if I can be useful then all the better.I feel I have more in common and more to learn from someone who shoots clays than a non shooter. We will all need to stick together if they try to restrict shooting sports futher still.