What's your best shot?

Could be an interesting question. I will start the ball rolling with mine. I am new to (FAC) rifle shooting and only got my first .22 rimfire just over a week ago. I went to see a local RFD about a 22-250 and talk about an outlet for rabbits. I got the feeling that he was putting me to the test when he asked if I had my Winchester with me. I answered yes so he pointed out a crow in one of his fields at a good 120 yards and asked me if I could hit it. My answer was "You're not expecting much are you with a .22 are you?" To that he replied "Well I could hit it with my CZ"

"Oh well, caution to the wind" I thought as I am always up for a challenge, and took the shot. Much to my surprise and with a tiny bit of "hold over" I dropped the crow first shot with feathers flying in the wind. To me that was one of the best shots (to be witnessed by someone else) that I have taken, all be it that it was only a crow, but at least it showed a fair degree of marksmanship.

I'm sure that most of you can beat that so come on then, what is your best shot lads (And Lassies)? :good:

Edited by Frenchieboy

437 yrds at night 177 bsa mercury open sights blind drunk rabbits x3 one shot

NOT

lying *******. you could not do that with .177 , it would have to bee at lease .20 :good:

What's an RDF?

Registered Firearms Dealer

'Best' shot was on my first game shoot, after the initial flush there were 4 ducks circling at about 80ft in a diamond, took a total pot shot with both barrels and brought the tail-gunner down cleanly(#2 Steel). I knew it was a total fluke but the shoot master appeared impressed so i let it ride :good:

Mark

Registered Firearms Dealer

'Best' shot was on my first game shoot, after the initial flush there were 4 ducks circling at about 80ft in a diamond, took a total pot shot with both barrels and brought the tail-gunner down cleanly(#2 Steel). I knew it was a total fluke but the shoot master appeared impressed so i let it ride :good:

Mark

Assume you were using full choke good patterning for number 2 steel from that range!

I doubt he was using full choke............

Steel is a tad harder than lead, and doesn't like being squished much.

As it was a mixed bird shoot i would've either been using 1/2 & 1/2, or 1/4 & 1/2, i can't remember. As libs says, its not a good idea using full chokes with steel shot, not unless you want a Looney Tunes style finish to the muzzle of your gun!

Mark

Sorry Zapp, I didn't realise that this had been asked already, but come on then, What was your best shot?

Not so much that it has been done before, but because it is only a matter of time with threads about long range shooting before someone makes a proper daft post, which starts a big fight, which leads to lingering bad feeling.

ZB

I doubt he was using full choke............

Steel is a tad harder than lead, and doesn't like being squished much.

As it was a mixed bird shoot i would've either been using 1/2 & 1/2, or 1/4 & 1/2, i can't remember. As libs says, its not a good idea using full chokes with steel shot, not unless you want a Looney Tunes style finish to the muzzle of your gun!

Mark

Points taken given its no 2 shot aswell i was wondering if a more open choke would have been more accurate (not squishing shot) anyway ive not fired steel shot ever so didnt know it reacted so badly to tight chokes but did know wildfowlers usually (obviously since change in law this is used to) have tight chokes on guns that why i thought the pattern was especially good since if it was through a full choke the shot was most likely squished if it was size 2.

Learn a new thing everyday .... :good:

Edited by JamesLeic

Mark

Not being funny Mark but 80ft is only just over 26 yards. Surely you didn't need a 'pot shot' at that range? :good:

If i really must i will tell the storey of the long range shot i made a couple of years ago . This was witnessed by a donkey ,a cow and calf and about a dozen pigs . It was late in the afternoon and i saw a nice sized roe buck standing at a very reasonable 800 yards away . I stood up free hand and took the shot . The buck dropped on the spot and did not even twitch . I walked over to pick him up and thought i would pace out how far he was away , would you belive ,947 good paces . When i got to him laying behind him was the biggest dog fox i have ever seen and behind the fox was the biggest hare i have ever seen and behind the hare was a small rabbit . The .308 bullet had passed through the deer and killed the fox ,the hare and the rabbit .

Billy walt Harnser .