Skeet - Whats a reasonable score?

I've been lurking again and havent posted for a while but the shooting has been coming along a little.

I've heard differing opinions on what is classed as a good score for national skeet. Obviously 24 would be good but what should I be expecting to hit after 2 months shooting twice a month with no tuition. My best so far is 19, I just cannot get to 20 and feel a bit frustrated! I seem to clear half the round and then screw up... lol

Is 19 OK for where I am or should I be beating myself with a pain stick after every session?

My gear is a 28" 12g with Hull CompX 21 plaswads. Chokes are skeet in first barrel and 1/4 in second. Im considering using the 1/4 for the first shot on stand 4. Is this a viable tactic?

Edited by notsosureshot

He doesnt mean shoot the gun without a choke, he means cylinder is the most open choke, without any constriction.

I hit 19/25 on my first try at skeet, with a Mossberg pump action. 4 or 5 years later I still mostly score 20 to to 23, and then sometimes I hit less than 19 :lol:

I don't take skeet all that seriously mind, it's quite boring imo.

Edited by throdgrain

its not so much the score you should be looking at, that way you just keep putting yourself under pressure.....

as long as your enjoying it everytime the scores will slowly increase.....

took me a LONG time to straight it and i still find it frustrating but also really enjoy it,

still have BAH HUMBUG moments...lol

Good luck

shaun

Skeet is very easy to get the hang of and within no time you will be shooting 22, 23 and 24 with your eyes shut (or with a pump action shotgun :lol: )

It's just practice; getting the smooth calm swing and understanding the lead on each station.

The problem comes in that 22s, 23s and even 24s are nowhere city in competitive skeet; it's all about getting a full house and then getting another, and another and so on (even under enormous pressure).

If you want to do skeet competitively then get lessons early and don't develop too many bad habits. You will see that the majority of club skeet shooters are all over 60 years old which ought to tell you something about the sport; steady, dull and predictable targets. I think it's something that other shooters retire into.

Skeet is very easy to get the hang of and within no time you will be shooting 22, 23 and 24 with your eyes shut (or with a pump action shotgun :oops: )

It's just practice; getting the smooth calm swing and understanding the lead on each station.

The problem comes in that 22s, 23s and even 24s are nowhere city in competitive skeet; it's all about getting a full house and then getting another, and another and so on (even under enormous pressure).

If you want to do skeet competitively then get lessons early and don't develop too many bad habits. You will see that the majority of club skeet shooters are all over 60 years old which ought to tell you something about the sport; steady, dull and predictable targets. I think it's something that other shooters retire into.

A pretty accurate summation, in my view. :lol:

I find it a tedious affair, though I can see its value as practice for ESP, especially as I lack confidence with close-in crossing or quartering edge-on clays,

Needless to say, I'm no good at it, though I've hardly done any of it. I feel it's the kind of thing that I could get competent at quite quickly, thus greatly helping my sporting shooting, but I can't see me getting 25's, because it wouldn't hold my concentration sufficiently i.e. I would fall asleep :D

Not as bad as DTL though :good: . When you look at a row of blokes on a DTL course, they look comatose before they've even started. Probably a good discipline for funeral directors :good:

I shot a lot of Skeet 15 years ago. I had a number of straights, but also had the inexplicable lapses. It frustrated me.

Your scores are very good. They are all hittable, but concentration is required. Unless you can shoot 100 straight and more, you will never win at County level in my experience. However, it is good practice, but as Chard hinted, it can get a bit boring.

I find Sporting more relaxed as you walk between stands and you don't have the clockwork squad discipline of Skeet or DTL. If you drop a shot, it isn't the end of the world. At Skeet - it is.

Skeet is very easy to get the hang of and within no time you will be shooting 22, 23 and 24 with your eyes shut (or with a pump action shotgun :good: )

You have made some disparaging comments about skeet being a rather unworthy pursuit and fit only for older shooters. How many 100 straights have you posted in competition?

Miroku fan - bit off to have a pop at Mungler. What he has said is basically correct. How many Sporting straights have you had? I have a number of Skeet straights, but have missed at least one at Sporting.

You don't need to shoot straights to be entitled to an opinion.

Not sure this is going in a great direction.

Every discipline has its place. Skeet improves reaction time and is useful for developing your all around shooting skill. Its extremely useful practice before going out and shooting fast moving game surely? I'd think it irresponsible to ignore clay shooting completely, meaning effectively a shooter is practicing on wild animals, not what I like to think happens.

Not sure this is going in a great direction.

Every discipline has its place. Skeet improves reaction time and is useful for developing your all around shooting skill. Its extremely useful practice before going out and shooting fast moving game surely? I'd think it irresponsible to ignore clay shooting completely, meaning effectively a shooter is practicing on wild animals, not what I like to think happens.

Firstly to the OP the scores you are achieving for the amount of time you have been shooting are good :D

As regards skeet and for any other discipline if it wasn't popular it wouldn't exist and different people like different things.

I haven't been shooting long and have only had my own gun for 5 weeks but have been shooting ESP and ESK, i have found that the skeet has improved my sporting; however due to my location and everywhere around here costing a fortune for sporting i'm going to focus on Skeet for the time being.

The most local club to me charge £56 for 100 ESP!!! and the rest aren't much cheaper :good: whereas i can drive to Bisley and shoot 8 rounds of skeet for £52, actually that will be £44 once my membership comes through. Given the choice i would sooner be out every weekend at skeet rather than twice a month at sporting, i figure the more birds i see and shoot at can only be good.

If skeet bores you try a round of doubles then come back and post your scores :good:

In an ideal world i'd shoot a lot more ESP but funds don't allow and skeet for me is far better value, oh and i do enjoy it :good:

Jon.