Good cartridge, bad cartridge

Ok, so I've never got on very well with Express cartridges. They always seem to be badly manufactured (the pellets seem to push into the inside of the cases, as if they've been overloaded?) and they tend to leave an excessive amount of **** in your barrels once you've fired. I've also had a couple of misfires. So what are peoples' thoughts on this? Any recommendations?

-at the moment I'm using Hull Special Pigeon 24g (20 bore) and Eley Impax/Gamebore Clear Pigeon in my 12 bore. No complaints with these.

Cheers all

Ross.

I am an avid Express cartridge fan, I will use them over anything else and have fired 100,000's of them in all forms. I don't remember ever having a misfire and as for the crud in your barrels then you should try Eley grand prix.

Anything with a Gamebore label is a no from me.

Ok, so I've never got on very well with Express cartridges. They always seem to be badly manufactured (the pellets seem to push into the inside of the cases, as if they've been overloaded?) and they tend to leave an excessive amount of **** in your barrels once you've fired. I've also had a couple of misfires. So what are peoples' thoughts on this? Any recommendations?

-at the moment I'm using Hull Special Pigeon 24g (20 bore) and Eley Impax/Gamebore Clear Pigeon in my 12 bore. No complaints with these.

Cheers all

Ross.

I find that very strange. Ive allways found that anything loaded with vectan powder is the cleanest shooting cartridges you can buy. For that reason i tend to stick with Express and find them very clean with no misfires and their range caters for all the loads i use.

I had a dangerous batch of Gamebore clear pigeon years ago. (the wads were in the wrong way!) All i got from them was a letter telling me to swap them like for like which i wasnt impressed with so have never bought them since. Afew free wouldn't have hurt.

Allways found Hull pretty good but allways felt they made slow cartridges and thats now in my head and i like quick loads. I know i'm wrong but thats in my head now so i dont use them!

Used Victorys for a year or so as i could get them cheap from a friend but ive gone back to Express as they were thumpy and i dissected afew and found alot of damaged shot and shot cut in half which can't do your pattern anygood!

Ive also dabbled with Rio and Eleys and found them both ok but we bought 15k Rio's between us and alot of lads had mis-fires with them so i guess i was just lucky. Eleys are owned by the same Maxam group but don't seem to have the mis-fire problems of the Rio but i imagine they use the same primers.

Cartridge choice is all in your head i think. If you buy cheap you look for flaws, if you buy expensive you look for all the good kills! Thats what makes our sport so much fun!

I could waffle about cartridges for ages! In short, Express for me!!

Guest topshot_2k

Best i have used:

Gamebore Clear pigeon - consistant, hard hitting and cheapish

RC SIPE - Their 32g #5shot is very good but bit pricey

Express Supreme Game - Very good fibre cartridge, cheaper than RC and look good :good:

Hull High Pheasant

Worst i have used:

Gamebore Supergame - Had total of 11 misfires in 250 cartridges + didnt always eject (the case seems to swell when fired?)

Rottweil MkII HV - Had alot of misfires (very hard primers) didnt kill very cleanly

Eley Hi Flyer - Utter ****, heavy recoil, didnt hit very hard, some cartridges had various size pellets in them!!

Cheers all

Ross.

52g gram max game, fiocchi magnums or super comp 28g all do the trick for me......Had problems with VIPS and comp-x 21gs in the benelli

I'm an express man, Super Comp 28g 7.5 or 8's, supreme comp if you want a sore shoulder for the look of the black high brass cartridges. :-), not had a dud yet, with many thousands used.

Also RC1 for cheaper carts for DTL but 1 in 500 duds (could have been the gun).

M.

Got to be Express for me as the perform well in my gun,recently at our local clay shoot my mate brought along a load of Baikal skeet cartridges to use,fibre wad and all so he thought theyll be ok,the wads were seen to come out as one lump,the smoke had everyone coughing and the noise and muzzle flash were awesome.

Those were the days out lamping with Baikals you had to shout at who ever was with you to find out if you hit what you aimed at,because due to the muzzle flash and noise you couldnt see or hear!!!!!

Tried them in my Silma and found the rims too small,which let the ejector slip around the head and jam the gun,great fun trying to get them out after that.

My favourite just now is Eley VIP Game 28g No 6 shot Fibre for my 20g.

Beautiful cart and smooth as you like, in fact earlier this evening I took two rabbits with one cart.

Least favourite is Gamebore Traditional Game 28g No 6, 20g again.

There's significantly more recoil from these compared to the Eley and they are also louder.

Cheers

For my O/U Hull CompX 21g work great. The semi-auto likes 28g loads - I really liked the fibre 28g Eley VIP and Pro Fibre 28g. I used recently at the Gamefair. Hull CompX 28g also cycle fine and all of them seem to break clays a lot of the time (working on the ALL of the time bit!!!)

I'm fairly new to shotguns and can honestly say that cartridges don't seem to make much difference to my shooting.

At the weekend I used 24g Eley Firsts. My mate (who is a good shot, normally beating me hands down) used 28g Eley VIPs. Our scores were comparable all day.

I suspect that only the most accomplished shooters would be able to tell a difference? The rest of us are probably just mentally aware of what we are using which effects our confidence?

Just my view.

Steve

Edited by shoughton