Help with cat owner!!

PEREGRINE

Hi guys, need a bit of help here.

I am in a dispute at the moment with a neighbour who's young cat came just a little too close to one of my large female harris hawks that was sitting on her bow perch in my garden.

fortunately I was on hand and managed to retrieve the cat without too much damage being done, however I am now in a "feud" with the neighbour who thinks that because my hawks are hunting birds I am a cruel b***ard, he has recently moved from a town into a place about 100 yrds from me.

My argument is that he turns his cat out and inflicts it on the local wildlife population and it probably takes more wildlife than I and all my birds do, and he should at leas bell the cat in order to give the small nesting birds a chance. However he refuses to believe that cats make a significant dent in the wildlife population, and I would like to be able to provide him with some facts and figures to illustrate my point. Does anyone know of a website where I can get the relevant information on the damage that domestic cats do to birds etc.

This ****ole is really starting to get on my nerves and I am loosing my patience rapidly, even though I saved his cat and deprived one of my top hunting birds of its kill (which she was pretty p***ed off about) , he's still not satisfied.

So any help would be appreciated lads!!

Peregrine

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/7148.htm

its from the states, but still gets the point across

Nationwide, cats kill over a billion small mammals and millions of birds each year. Some of these kills are house mice, rats and other species considered pests, but many are native songbirds and mammals whose populations are already stressed by other factors, such as habitat destruction and pesticide pollution.

Looks to me like this guy is both arrogant and ignorant. Not sure he'll take anytime to read any facts you give him. You could mention that he having a cat in captivity is also cruel as they are naturally roaming and hunting animals, but will he care..i doubt it.

You are within your rights and if he cant understand that, thats his problem. Not that thats gonna make it any easier for you.

Hope it all works out for you. I still cant beleive he's upset after you saving his cat.

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

This happened to me regularly when I had a female HH back in the early 80,s.

This Bloody womans cat was intent on baiting the harris even though it was tethered to the perch during the day.

It would sit just out of range and mew, besides crapping in my gravel drive, and ripping into the waste bins and sacks every week.

I spoke to the woman several times about it and eventually took legal advice.

At the time the law was on my side if the cat was subsequently attacked and killed by the HH whilst tethered and on my property then too bad for the cat.

In the end I got so fed up I caught the cat in a squirrel trap and when driving 90 miles to Northampton later that weekend let it go in a field somewhere near Corby.

She had her suspicions that I had killed it but i said " Proove It "

Also you can try catching the Cat in a squirrel trap or similar and Giving it a Bloody good soak with a hose pipe for 5 minutes and 9 times out of ten it wont come back.

FM.

Also you can try catching the Cat in a squirrel trap or similar and Giving it a Bloody good soak with a hose pipe for 5 minutes and 9 times out of ten it wont come back.

FM.

OH cruelty to nice furry animals whatever next...seems to me that all any cat needs is a good dose of lead poisoning preferably in the back of the head! The most prolific predator in the UK even outshining Charlie. Get yourself a Rotweiler they HATE cats and if mateys gets done in...well the dog was just doin' what comes naturally wasn't it (just like le chat).

:)<_< FM :devil::huh:

We are to presume that you have actually performed this 10 times to discover that only one returned!!! Thats patience for you:lol: ;)

Nice one FM

I have managed to find some very relevant stuff on a site that NOBS posted, so I will take it round this afternoon and try to explain again that I know he cant help his cat coming in the garden but he must also be aware that I cant help what happens to it if it does.

The arrogance of these people is astounding , they havent been here 5 minutes and they want to change everything to suite them. I am cruel because I hunt, but they wont except the fact that tiddles is killing more wildlife than I am!!

I suggested that they let me put a couple of hawk bells on the cat to give wildlife a chance and also to let me know the cat is in the garden before putting the hawks on the lawn, and they react like I am telling them what to do with their pet and its none of my business etc they suggest I dont put my "dangerouse" hawks on the lawn in the first place!!.

Christ I am only trying to protect the cat from my hawks, its already had a very lucky escape you would think they would be gratefull that I am trying to save its bleeding life.

I have already warned this muppet , I WILL NOT ROB MY HAWK OF A KILL AGAIN!!! If she nails it again, she feeds. The choice is his. I have doubts though it is someones pet after all.

Maybe FM suggestion is the better option I have done this in the past what do you think?

Peregrine

I have already warned this muppet , I WILL NOT ROB MY HAWK OF A KILL AGAIN!!! If she nails it again, she feeds. The choice is his.

:) i bet that would go down a treat, i like your style <_<

hope you can resolve it without having to resort to these kind of tactics, although dumping the cat somewhere else sounds like a good option

Perigrine, yes, I think that FM's solution i.e. 'the soaking of the cat' is the best move. If it deters the cat from entering your hawks rest area then all is well for you, your obnoxciuos neighbour and your hawks. It will prevent any further feuds and with anyluck it will all pass by.

Cats hate ammonia (so do i) and avoid it like the plague. Not sure if its a safe bet to use near your hawks but you could give this a go. At least you'll not actually be interfering with the neighbours cat.

Failing that, give me a call and ill come over and knock some sense in to him :)

Regards,

Axe

Am I missing something - isn't the problem sorted now ? I doubt the cat will come near the hawk ever again and if it does well that's just tough !

No point getting het up about it. Neighbour feuds are awful and can damage property values. What's the worst this nincompoop can do ? If you get sued because your hawk kills his stupid cat (death by misadventure) then your sporting insurance ought to cover it, and I don't think they'd stand a chance anyway. It would only be small claims court and the judge would kick it out.

Ignorant townies are a waste of space but they are entitled to their opinnion tell him that cats are also prolific killers of protected birds and we as hunters are only intrested in game and vermin, then ignore him if he still has an attitude with you, live and let live dude!!

Dave

I can understand the frustrations in having a neighbour like that.

However, if you think about it calmly, there is little that either of you can do legally.

He isn't able to keep his cat in the house all the time and when it goes out, he can't control where it goes.

You are entitled to have your HH on a perch on your lawn and you are not going to stop doing that.

I would not discuss the matter with the man at all.

Carry on doing what you do and let events take their course.

If the cat doesn't come back.... all is fine.

If it does and the HH gets it....all is fine.

The hosepipe treatment and catnapping would be considered deliberate animal cruelty and theft, both of which are illegal.

Actually thinking about , that probably is the best thing to do.

You might want to mention that while he can not overlook his cat entering your garden all the time, neither can you overlook your hawks all the time, should the cat stray again. If he cant listen to reason, just ignore him.

Is the cat likely to return after having such a fright before hand?

Regards,

Axe.

Haven't we all just missed the point here...it's not the cat that needs takin' care of it's the b***** owner!
7.62 from top of near by hill should sort that one!

Seriously though, I think leaving matters as they are is about as good as it gets. If the cat gets nailed, then so be it, just say the hawk was defending itself.

My Gran uses a giant water pistol, but it dosnt seem to make a jot of difference.

I have a similar problem with cats (no neighbours) they keep showing up doing what I am doing (hunting), they dont seem to have an owner and there are about 5 different ones in this small area. I have been quite tempted to pop one off in the past, needless to say, mog lives on to meet me again another day.

Hi peregrine, not sure if you’ve enough info but here is a good one from the mammal’s society; go down to the appendix at the bottom and its quite staggering the variety of prey they do take. Cats will learn and if it’s anything like the ones that live near me its that you have to walk past the hawk just out of reach of the tether to truly annoy it.

Regards Coney

p.s. who thinks i should lengthen the lease a little? :lol:

Predation of wildlife by domestic cats

Also you can try catching the Cat in a squirrel trap or similar and Giving it a Bloody good soak with a hose pipe for  5 minutes and 9 times out of ten it wont come back.

FM.

OH cruelty to nice furry animals whatever next...seems to me that all any cat needs is a good dose of lead poisoning preferably in the back of the head! The most prolific predator in the UK even outshining Charlie. Get yourself a Rotweiler they HATE cats and if mateys gets done in...well the dog was just doin' what comes naturally wasn't it (just like le chat).

I lent some plonker a trap to catch a cat and asked if he knew what he was doing he wouldnt take advice so i went home smiling, he caught it ok. but the fool let it go in his house?:D?:( well you can imagine i think it scratched him a bit :lol:

As for using a Roti, if the dog got the cat you are liable, you could end up having the dog put down and pay for compensation. CATS HAVE THE RITE TO ROAM WHERE,EVER. and if your dog kills your neighbours cat then you are liable.

I know of a similar story it was also a harris that was being taken the P out of, on this 1 occasion the cat didnt have all the 9 lives it should have had. sound very similar. any way lengthen the line.

It’s when I read some of the responses from some of my fellow “fit persons” that I despair. I understand that some are posted tongue in cheek, but this is a public forum.

The human race is responsible for the demise of more animal species on this planet than all other creatures put together. To blame domestic cats for the song bird populations demise is selective to say the least. Try returning the lost habitat to the wild…it’s under the bricks and mortar we keep laying down every time we spot a green field.

If we were all free to act how we wanted towards others animals, then there would be no dogs in my area at all. Being smelly stupid animals that they are they would have a tragic accident wherever I met one :lol: ...but I know many of you love them, so how about we live and let live?

The cat and the HH issue will be resolved in time…the cat will learn or it will die. I’d put money on it learning. It’s a pity the same cannot be said for the owner…but that’s typical of the species.

Cheers

S_2

Cats can be a pain in the ****...but its not strictly their fault. Trapping a cat, and driving 90 miles to release it is theft and cruelty.

I have a cat. It does what cats do. I wouldnt hesitate in kicking the **** out of someone who hurt him or stole him. Maybe that makes me a thug or whatever, but I would. That said...where I used to live, next to a gamekeeper, who was also a bird enthuisiast (not sure what he had, a massive avaiary full of birds!), he told us that he would shoot the cat if it killed any of his pets. which is fine.

Keeping animals of whatever sort, is about responsibility. The owner is the problem here.