Home Brewing

Markio

The Sloe Gin thread got me thinking. Is home brewing (wine and beer) worth the wait? Fancy giving it a go but not if the results are just mediocre.

There's a brewing shop local to me, Colchester Homebrew Supplies, can anyone in the 'know' check it out the website for me and make recommendations on the beer and wine kits they have?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have some spare gear - but when asda is knocking out a slab of the 1664 for under a tenner.....

??????:hmm: That's what put me off. If you wait a while, one of the supermarkets is always virtually giving away decent beer, it doesn't seem worth waiting weeks for a pint of paint-stripper :oops:

I got that 1664 offer, £7 for 18 bottles :lol: . They had a similar deal on Becks recently and so it goes on.

Trouble is, I do like Bitter as well. I don't mind this canned "Smooth" stuff, but I prefer it draught, I'm just not sure home brew would hit the spot :hmm: . I know it used to be dire stuff, but I dare say the kits have come on a bit since those days.

Been brewing from the kits for the last year or so and haven't had a bad brew yet - apparently they've improved massively from the kits available 15-20 years ago. Definately not paint stripper.

Set up costs are around 60 quid but then it'll be costing you ~35p per pint to make. Lots of good info here:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php

The Sloe Gin thread got me thinking. Is home brewing (wine and beer) worth the wait? Fancy giving it a go but not if the results are just mediocre.

There's a brewing shop local to me, Colchester Homebrew Supplies, can anyone in the 'know' check it out the website for me and make recommendations on the beer and wine kits they have?

my mate makes loads of home made wine, he gave me an easy recipe that is lovely, you need a 1 gallon demi john and in it you put.

1 ordinary size bottle of ribena cordial (not squash)

1/2 a bag of sugar

1/2 tsp yeast

top up with luke warm water and insert the bubbler

6 weeks later have a taste and add extra sugar to taste, wait 4 more weeks and get the glasses out

its bloody lovely

mikee

i have some spare gear - but when asda is knocking out a slab of the 1664 for under a tenner.....

Point taken, just seen Tesco are putting out 15 cans (440ml) of Carlsberg for £5 if you spend £30 in store. You can't knock that.

Any more thoughts on the wine kits in that web site? We have plenty of bottle to use, cough cough. :lol::oops:

Sorry Mikee but basing any 'wine' on ribena can't be a good idea, don't you just get alcoholic ribena? That's why the have Gallo and Blossom Hill.

markio, thats what i thought until i tried it, doesnt taste of ribena, just has a lovely fruity flavour and a pale pinky colour

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the hedge behind my house is heaving with large blackberrys, i shall start picking and freezing until i have about a stone, most of which will be made into blackberry wine

mikee

Markio, I had the whole kit and gave it to a mate who has done nothing but adorn his shed with it. It you want a stab at the beers, let me know and I'll get it over to you.

However, I find that most homebrew beer makers can't make a decent brew - even a half decent brew tastes awful compared to a cold brew from the local offy continental bevvy fridge.

Every home brewer swears blind that *they* have cracked it - but it's mainly delusional. They kid themselves that they can't taste the wicked yeast bite from their brew - much like only seeing the good in your own children.

If I were to start again, and frankly I won't be bothering having found the Sunday Times Wine club, then I would go the wine route or sloe gin route - I have tasted nice home brew wine and sloe gin and can only measure against my own taste buds.

However, I defy anyone to produce a home brew beer at Bisley that doesn't taste ****.

Edited by Mungler

Mark,

I had a long chat with the guy who runs that shop at a local food fayre in Castle park recently, they had several home brewed beers that you could try on his stand. Some of them were really nice but I couldn't help thinking that they were not really a home brew. I have tried several different wine kits and recipes and have only really ever succeeded in making a product to rival "CILLIT BANG"

There was a kit which was called Ibrew I think which was very good value as it was complete but I wasn't really convinced.

Markio, I had the whole kit and gave it to a mate who has done nothing but adorn his shed with it. It you want a stab at the beers, let me know and I'll get it over to you.

However, I find that most homebrew beer makers can't make a decent brew - even a half decent brew tastes awful compared to a cold brew from the local offy continental bevvy fridge.

Every home brewer swears blind that *they* have cracked it - but it's mainly delusional. They kid themselves that they can't taste the wicked yeast bite from their brew - much like only seeing the good in your own children.

If I were to start again, and frankly I won't be bothering having found the Sunday Times Wine club, then I would go the wine route or sloe gin route - I have tasted nice home brew wine and sloe gin and can only measure against my own taste buds.

However, I defy anyone to produce a home brew beer at Bisley that doesn't taste ****.

Right its on, I'm gonna fill up an old bottle of some sort with some of my cider and let you see that its taste of **** not **** :good:

Edited by libs

Yes, it'd definately worth it :good:

I've just started up again after a break of a couple of years and am getting really into it. I have done two kit brews so far (a stout and a wheat beer), and both turned out very nice indeed, for the princely sum of about 35p a pint.

I'm looking at getting the extra equipment I need to do all grain brewing for my birthday. Once I get the hang of that, the sky (or maybe A&E's stomach pumping room) is the limit.

ZB

I've just started up again after a break of a couple of years and am getting really into it. I have done two kit brews so far (a stout and a wheat beer), and both turned out very nice indeed, for the princely sum of about 35p a pint.

Who did the wheat beer kit, I'm a big fan!

Nial

"Yes, it'd definately worth it good.gif

I've just started up again after a break of a couple of years and am getting really into it. I have done two kit brews so far (a stout and a wheat beer), and both turned out very nice indeed, for the princely sum of about 35p a pint."

Just started myself again after a 20yr break,made 6 lager brews up to now & all enjoyable fortunately! :good:

Just started myself again after a 20yr break,made 6 lager brews up to now & all enjoyable fortunately! :good:

So what brand/kit did you use? I need names godammit! :good:

EDIT: ****, Zap got in there. Over to you drut.

Edited by Markio