Wasps

starlight32

Is it me or is there an increased amount of wasps this year?

I have noticed that there is alot more than usual.

And whats more- I would like to add them to the pigeon watch useless animal list......they serve no purpose other than decorating the underside of a rolled up newspaper?

I have also picked up a 'super swatter'. Looks like a small tennis racket which is battery powered-It basically fries them.

There is a little more allowance for distance error as with a newspaper........... Super piece of kit.

I am on my 4th one - absolutely brilliant for taking them mid air or affecting a stun off the window for a clean kill on the window cill (rolled up newspaper leaves a splat mark).

Got mine off ebay.

I recommend you get a spare - I broke a couple getting carried away with a backhand smash

I have also picked up a 'super swatter'. Looks like a small tennis racket which is battery powered-It basically fries them.

There is a little more allowance for distance error as with a newspaper........... Super piece of kit.

I found my electric swatter effective on flies, but not wasps. It's a lot more cathartic to flatten wasps with a copy of Shooting Times.

We had one massive nest last year in the shed. we were wondering where all the wasps were coming from, one stung my sister and she got really angry and started spraying like mad in the shed with anti wasp spray or something. It's good that I stopped her getting agry, cos when the guy fumigated the nests there were hundreds there, she coould have got stung real bad. :good:

I'm doing quite a few nest per week at the mo, the weather is ideal for wasps..... I'm also seeing many more multiple wasp nests at a single site this year, you sometimes find three or four nests in an attic.

i've noticed wasps hanging around the eaves on my roof, must have a look in the loft and see if there is a nest.

I CAN LAUGH NOW,,,,REMINDS ME OF THE WASPS MY BROTHER HAD IN HIS ROOF LAST YEAR,,,WHAT IT WAS WASPS WERE HANGING ABOUT THE GARDEN LAST SUMMER IN HORDS,HE SAID TO ME HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE BL--DY WASPS,,I SAID IL POP DOWN AND HAVE A LOOK,,,GOT THERE WASPS WERE COMING OUT FROM BEHIND THE FACIER BOARD UNDER THE FLAT KITCHEN ROOF.SO ME BEING BRAVE,,, :good: STUPID NOW I THINK OF IT :good: PULLS THIS BOARD OFF AND HAY PRESTO THE BIGGEST NEST IVE SEEN FOR WASPS...MUST HAVE BEEN WELL OVER 3-4000 WASPS,THY CAME OUT P---ED OFF,FLEW PAST ME AND CHASED MY KID BROTHER ROUND THE GARDEN AND STUNG HIM 27 TIMES,,,WHAT GREAT DAYS THEY WERE...

I DIDNT GET STUNG ONCE AND I REMOVED THE NEST.

Edited by shotgun666

My dad reminded my of the jam jar trick. Might give that a go. Sometimes these old methods work well.

Rather than trying to attract them to their death, best to scare them away!

No I am not joking, wasps are very territorial and if they see another wasps nest they will avoid the area.

SO, build yourself a fake wasps nest, or you can buy them http://www.naturalcollection.com/products/...ator-twin-pack/

If you form a ball out of wire netting, pull one loop out (for hanging purposes),

cover this frame with papier-mache paint with matt emulsion paint, It doesn't require any great artistic skill to create a realistic looking wasps nest Use dull colours dirty browny greys etc.

Simples!

I'm doing quite a few nest per week at the mo, the weather is ideal for wasps..... I'm also seeing many more multiple wasp nests at a single site this year, you sometimes find three or four nests in an attic.

Now you might just be the man to tell me, I have been watching these wasps now for a month coming and going in by the gutter under the rooftiles, I have been in the loft twice at night but cannot see a nest anywhere.

Where are the blighters? I have had a nest per year since moving to this house so I know how to get rid of them, just cany find this one at all.

Rgds D2D

years ago when i was about ten there was a nest in my cousins shed. His father was buildin him a timber play house on stilts. It was finished bar a lick of paint. We filled two water guns with a soapy mixture. Cant exactly remember what we mixed in with the water (shampoo, soap etc). We set up camp in the play house and squirted them. Never got stung but it got rid of them. Never seen the daanger :good:

Havent seen one yet here this year, dont know is it the bad weather or what.

Wasps have their uses.

Leave an empty 2 litre coke bottle somewhere sunny and wait until you have between 10 and 20 inside. Now quickly pop the lid back on, and give it a shake to get them nice and angry.

Once you have done this, loosen the lid until it is ready to fall off, and throw the lot into a mate's room. Now hold the door shut and enjoy the screams and thrashings from within. Even better if you wait until your friend is asleep.

ZB

Wasps have their uses.

Leave an empty 2 litre coke bottle somewhere sunny and wait until you have between 10 and 20 inside. Now quickly pop the lid back on, and give it a shake to get them nice and angry.

Once you have done this, loosen the lid until it is ready to fall off, and throw the lot into a mate's room. Now hold the door shut and enjoy the screams and thrashings from within. Even better if you wait until your friend is asleep.

ZB

Or throw in a packet of mentos, shake it, throw it of the ground and watch them go into orbit :good::oops::hmm:

Kidding