Mods for a .243

robmiller

Right pushing towards buying a .243. Is it really worth putting a moderator on it. It will be the occasional fox, and the even more occassional deer.

I have spoken to my cousing, who has several rifles, DSC1 and 2. Also loads all his own ammo. And he said, why spend an extra 2/300 quid, for a barely unnoticeable reduction!?

i have a T8 mod on my 243, i tried it the other night without, believe me there is more than a slight reduction in noise with it on, if i was regularly shooting it without i would wear muffs or plugs, with the T8 on its not really much different to my 22 without the mod on, it also reduces recoil and muzzle flip so you can see the bullet dtrike, it does make it a bit heavier and clumsy but i reckon the benefits out way the problems, just mho

mikee

Right pushing towards buying a .243. Is it really worth putting a moderator on it. It will be the occasional fox, and the even more occassional deer.

I have spoken to my cousing, who has several rifles, DSC1 and 2. Also loads all his own ammo. And he said, why spend an extra 2/300 quid, for a barely unnoticeable reduction!?

If I was you, I would not listen to another word that my cousin had to offer, as his comment is dubious in the extreme. As said above, a moderator makes a substantial difference. The moderator on my old .243 changed it from a spiteful, ear-rattling beast, to an absolute pussycat. With a moderator fitted, you get none of the muzzle flash that spoils one's night vision, much less perceived recoil and a reduction in muzzle blast. If you are shooting around a built-up area and/or livestock, you need a moderator. If you are shooting with a dog at your side, bear in mind the sensitivity of a dog's hearing.

The only people I know who do not bother with moderators are unavowed traditionalists (like Harnser).

He is probably a traditionalist. Most his stalking is in the Isle of Sky

Although the initial comment about making no difference is a bit alarming, I would agree that for hill stalking a mod just isn't necessary.

The sound just seems to disappear, and I am not someone who shoots a shotgun or rifle without hearing protection at any other time.

I used my 243 for a long period before getting a mod...and the big point is the muzzle flash (which blinds you at night) and the sonic boom! which deafens you! i would say after that the muzzle flip is the 3rd big thing, it really is like being punched when you fire a 243 without the mod compared to the pssst sort of noise you get after fitting one, it was however alot more entertaining without one and felt alot more macho! :yes:

Definatly worth buying if you value your hearing.....

Went out foxing this week with a chap with a Remmy .243 with a Ase Utra AU Jet Z moderator.

Very impressed with how quiet it was. No one had ear protection on and it wasn't needed - I am a bit of a girl on this stuff.

So, in summary, yes, right gun, right round and right moderator and boom shanka it will make all the difference to the noise created.

If I was you, I would not listen to another word that my cousin had to offer, as his comment is dubious in the extreme. As said above, a moderator makes a substantial difference. The moderator on my old .243 changed it from a spiteful, ear-rattling beast, to an absolute pussycat. With a moderator fitted, you get none of the muzzle flash that spoils one's night vision, much less perceived recoil and a reduction in muzzle blast. If you are shooting around a built-up area and/or livestock, you need a moderator. If you are shooting with a dog at your side, bear in mind the sensitivity of a dog's hearing.

The only people I know who do not bother with moderators are unavowed traditionalists (like Harnser).

What a bunch of woosies ,moderators and ear defenders . I have never heard anything like it ,I havenever heard anything like it ,what did you say . I dont like mods because they are ugly and spoil the line of the gun .Looks like a dustbin on the barrel . As baldrick says an unavowed traditionalist . I do use a mod on my rimfire and it works very well . On a centre fire it dosent make enough difference to warrent the spoiling the lines of a nice rifle in my opinion . Shoot without ear defenders at your on peril .

Harnser .

Harnser not often do you post tripe but that was :rolleyes:

My .223 with a mod on is a pussycat fine without ear defenders, and a friends .243 is fine as well. Without a mod on a quiet night it sounds like all hell has broken loose. Your area may not be that populated but ours we get complaints if we shoot rabbits with shotguns after dark let alone loose off centrefire rounds. In my mind they're essential for night time shooting and really during the day if you don't want to use ear defenders and make everyone in the vehicle you're lamping from wear them as well.

I hate to disagree with you, but if you're wearing good ear protection, you don't intrinsically need a moderator for woodland or hill stalking use, during normal daylight hours. In dense and remote blocks of Norfolk woodland, when you're seeking to take one shot only, what point does a moderator serve other than to weigh you down?

There's also an 'old dog, new tricks' factor that you have to allow for with all of Harnser's comments....

My .223 with a mod on is a pussycat fine without ear defenders, and a friends .243 is fine as well. Without a mod on a quiet night it sounds like all hell has broken loose. Your area may not be that populated but ours we get complaints if we shoot rabbits with shotguns after dark let alone loose off centrefire rounds. In my mind they're essential for night time shooting and really during the day if you don't want to use ear defenders and make everyone in the vehicle you're lamping from wear them as well.

Have you thought that the lack of using a moderator and ear defenders over many ,many years of shooting could be the reason that the rifle dosent sound very loud without a mod .

Harnser .

I hate to disagree with you, but if you're wearing good ear protection, you don't intrinsically need a moderator for woodland or hill stalking use, during normal daylight hours. In dense and remote blocks of Norfolk woodland, when you're seeking to take one shot only, what point does a moderator serve other than to weigh you down?

There's also an 'old dog, new tricks' factor that you have to allow for with all of Harnser's comments....

Woof woof bowwow .

Harnser .

personally on a big rifle i would not have a moderator, reason you will loose accuracy as they have to shorten the barrel, you will loose velocity and it will have a negitive impact on the handling of the rifle. You still get a somic boom and so will never get two shots at one fox with or with out a moderator. If so very unusall and unlikly to happen again. If you wear a pair of ear muffs there is no need.

Edited by zipdog

"reason you will loose accuracy as they have to shorten the barrel, you will loose velocity and it will have a negitive impact on the handling of the rifle."

You don't have to shorten a barrel to fit a moderator.

If you do have it shortened and it is shortened by a gunsmith who knows what he's doing, it won't be any less accurate.

If you do end up fitting a mod, i have just bought a tikka 243 and tried two mods, a PES which quietened the rifle a lot but made it very long and not so good for use from a vehicle, the other which i kept was a compact wildcat 8, not so quiet as the PES but the over barrel fitting made it a better choice for my needs. The rifle has the short 20in varmint barrel which seems to be very accurate and yes you do loose a little velocity (about 40fps an inch so I'm told) but charlie doesn't seem to notice...by the way i have read some articles that argue that a short barrel can be more accurate than a longer one, don't know what others think.