Are you a Saddo or a Gladdo

Fisherman Mike

Saddo or Gladdo  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Saddo or a Gladdo

• Saddo
    • Gladdo

As we have many Thousands of members on the Forum now it would be intersting to get a handle of the numbers of members who fall into the Saddo and Gladdo category so come on enter the poll and be honest. :yes:

A saddo is someone who feels they have to get out every week sometimes more and blast the living daylights out of any woody that comes their way,and feels like an abject failure if he doesnt get at least 50 birds a trip

A Gladdo is someone who just has the occassional sortee is happy to enjoy his surroundings for what they are and if he hits a few birds then so much the better.

Im definately a Gladdo...

As we have many Thousands of members on the Forum now it would be intersting to get a handle of the numbers of members who fall into the Saddo and Gladdo category so come on enter the poll and be honest. :yes:

A saddo is someone who feels they have to get out every week sometimes more and blast the living daylights out of any woody that comes their way,and feels like an abject failure if he doesnt get at least 50 birds a trip

A Gladdo is someone who just has the occassional sortee is happy to enjoy his surroundings for what they are and if he hits a few birds then so much the better.

Im definately a Gladdo...

I think your definitions and terminology are skewed and unfair.

An alternative and probably nicer Poll would be;

Pro Shooter is someone who can get out every week (probably a few times every week), is lucky enough to have loads of permission and consequently has a higher chance of shooting large bags of birds per trip.

Am Shooter is someone who has just the occasional trip out , limited permissions and tends to shoot smaller bags of birds per trip.

I would suggest that both categories enjoy their surroundings and appreciate being out shooting, no matter how many times they go.

I think your definitions and terminology are skewed and unfair.

An alternative and probably nicer Poll would be;

Pro Shooter is someone who can get out every week (probably a few times every week), is lucky enough to have loads of permission and consequently has a higher chance of shooting large bags of birds per trip.

Am Shooter is someone who has just the occasional trip out , limited permissions and tends to shoot smaller bags of birds per trip.

I would suggest that both categories enjoy their surroundings and appreciate being out shooting, no matter how many times they go.

:yes: Its very much tongue in cheek....so you must by definition be an old Gladdo.

Saddos are those imo who have to get out all the time and shoot just for the enjoyment of killing something (not necessarily under the guise of crop protection ). The surroundings are superfluous.

The Gladdos of this world will preserve our sport and the Saddos may put it at risk.

Why do say this, well Pigeon shooting has become big business with thousands of Pigeon shooters now purchasing guns and equipment. Pigeon numbers are at a record high and increasing. BUT......It would only take a few harsh winters, an outbreak of tricho and overshooting for the breeding numbers to proportionally diminish to an extent that the birds would then become an amber on the BTO decline list and a couple of words from the BTO to Defra and BANG off of the general list.

Doesn’t sound plausible does it but believe me it is.

For the moment though sleep easy... there doesnt seem to be any decline in pigeon numbers on the horizon. :yes:

The only big bags I think of are my Oxford Bags,they go rather well with my platform shoes.

I do not over egg my importance as a shooter.The tiny dent I make in the crow and bunny population makes no difference whatever. I do take major pride in the fact that any mole hill on the farm will not be there very long which pleases the gentleman who allows me to roam his land.I do go there often but some of my best days are made by a nice sunset or having a buzzard attack the decoys.Definitely a Gladdo. Its my hobby,not my living so the day it gives no pleasure,I will quit.

I'd be extremely disappointed and a touch depressed if I were to put myself in the saddo category. My permissions yield perhaps 10 or 12 chances of pigeons on a reasonable outing. I'm happy to return home with anything in the pot.

The relaxation and doing something I really enjoy makes the day for me, not a huge haul of kills.