Permanent hides.

Cranfield

I spoke to a chap today that has regularly shot on a smallish farm (about 250 acres), for about 20 years and he has built permanent hides.

He reckons that he worked out the birds favoured areas, depending on crops, time of year etc and built accordingly.

All of the hides are made of natural growing cover, including conifers (old rooted Christmas trees).

So, he just trims them up a couple of times a year.

Makes you think............. :stupid:

I think having permanent hides would be an ideal scenario, save a lot of carrying.

But what I find is that some shooters don't give a toss for the countryside and leave their hide like a tip. Really gets my back up to be walking a hedge looking to set up and see empty cartridges, bottles, fag packets etc left behind. Don't take a lot of trouble to clean up after you does it, and I wouldn't want to be associated with them.

I think having permanent hides would be an ideal scenario, save a lot of carrying.

But what I find is that some shooters don't give a toss for the countryside and leave their hide like a tip. Really gets my back up to be walking a hedge looking to set up and see empty cartridges, bottles, fag packets etc left behind. Don't take a lot of trouble to clean up after you does it, and I wouldn't want to be associated with them.

:oops::):lol::lol:

IMO Woodpigeons do have a ‘home’ range and favour certain areas year in year out. Some flight lines are (almost) permanent and there are definitely regular flight lines into major roost areas.

In these areas it’s well worth having permanent hides especially if they are part of the natural landscape.

Wouldn’t shoot them too often though as Woody’s no fool and any heavily shot area will eventually, sooner or later get abandoned.

we have on one of our permissions. ther is a field about 100 acres in size with a small fir plantation in the middle on a high spot. Cant ask for it any better on some days we have built natural hides on every corner so does not matter which way the wind blows.

• 1 month later...

Some of my ditches are V shaped, with a lot of water in them, so I keep a couple of pallets handy to bridge over the narrow part. :P I can then stand in the dry, without trying to wedge my feet in, making it easier to move my feet, to correct my shooting stance. :good: The pallets are easily moved if you change your hide position. :lol:

on one of my shoots i have a ww2 pillbox right in the middle of a field with some burrows around it. I am hoping it will prove to be a good permenant bunny bashing hide!

Hope you've got a good pair of ear defenders 'cause letting off a shotgun in a concrete box isn't to be recommended :angry:

If you look at Naddans Sig, you will notice it is a BSA Lightning he has, not a shotgun (unless I'm missing something?)

on one of my shoots i have a ww2 pillbox right in the middle of a field with some burrows around it. I am hoping it will prove to be a good permenant bunny bashing hide!

Hope you've got a good pair of ear defenders 'cause letting off a shotgun in a concrete box isn't to be recommended :good:

Is that the field twixt Sheringham park and Weybourne Highlander? :angry:

Hope you've got a good pair of ear defenders 'cause letting off a shotgun in a concrete box isn't to be recommended :good:

If you look at Naddans Sig, you will notice it is a BSA Lightning he has, not a shotgun (unless I'm missing something?)

Nope cyber, you have not missed anything at all!! I only own a BSA Lightning and that doesn't quite have the decibell ommitting oumth a 12g does! So no ear defenders required :angry: