Wildfowling Anti's

Wildfowler12

So I had a phone call last night from our club secretary. He said a complaint had been made mid-season from a random member of public (who refused to leave their details) that a wildfowler on the shore had fired 8 consecutive shots from a FAC semi-auto into a high skein of pinks, killing 5 of them!! Unfortunately this absurd nonsense apparently happened on a day that only I had signed in on.

To say Im furious is an understatement. Our secretary knows me fairly well and assured me that he knew I wasnt the type of person to do such a thing, (bearing in mind I shoot a 2+1 pump action Supernova, as opposed to a FAC semi auto. AND despite 4 years or fowling, and 3 shooting holidays to Scotland, I am still yet to shoot a pink foot goose), but said it was club protocol to follow up such complaints with an investigation. I dont know what this is likely to involve, but Im pretty ****** off that my name has now been tarnished by some good for nothing anti.

He told me not to worry, and said that these complaints are often made throughout the year and are promptly dismissed after investigation. It turns out that a group of twitchers (who illegally access the land we shoot on), have been moved off the land by the police on numerous occasions. They have since taken a personal vendetta against wildfowlers (theyre convinced that its the WF club who inform the police when they are on the land) and have started making these ludacris complaints about us!

At the end of January I had a run in with 1 of the guys. The usual abuse was thrown at me (murderous scumbag etc), to which I replied, Im accessing club land to carry out a legitimate activity. Land that you shouldnt be on I might add, I will not stop because you dont like it. The guy was driving out of the carpark when he saw me, and following our discussion, unloaded his camera and followed me some 3 miles to the point I was shooting. He then rallied 3 more twitchers/photographers off the high bank who came down and surrounded me, to inform me how wrong I was, quoting several imaginary laws that suggested I shouldnt be there. They also took photographs of me, to use as evidence to send me down apparently! Oh, and they told me they had a bird watching event with 20 people coming the following weekend, and that they would take care of any wildfowlers should they dare to turn up for a flight that day!

I realised that I wasnt getting anywhere with these guys, and hanging about until dusk (evening flight) was unlikely to be a good idea. So I pulled the decoys in and left (after sending the dog into the river a few times so he could shake all over us - this fuelled their rage some more).

This was the first year Ive experienced such grief from the antis, Ive been quizzed a few times by members of the public, most of whom are genuinely interested to find out what wildfowling is, and are usually no bother to me or my mate.

Im just curious as to whether this is the norm nowadays, have you had any similar run-ins and whats the best way to deal with them (whilst I wanted to chin the guy I value my SGC far too much, and in all honesty, I think he was trying to provoke such a reaction right from the off).

People like that can't be reasoned with and are normally more intent on having a battle with somebody than actually watching birds. I have only had 1 run in with an anti whilst wildfowling and that was after they witnessed me shoot a canada goose just before i packed up. They waited for me and threw the usual accusations at me, as you did i just held my tongue (and temper) and walked past. A very good friend of mine is an avid twitcher and disagrees with pheasant shooting but does agree with pest control and has no problem with wildfowling as he gets our passion for the birds and places we shoot. He even goes to the extent of letting me know the movements of the local wildfowl during the season.

i walked into some bird watchers as i was walking to the access point last season i though i was about to get aload of grief from them but they were fine they stoped me asked how the season was going if id been shooting well and how was the dog doing then started telling me about some rare bird they were looking for before i got going again so some of them are ok

Five shots at high geese from an FAC auto and all five killed - I guess they are looking at finding one heck of a good shot then or an anti who cant judge what it high or count, there is no case to answer and you club should have recorded as such without speaking to you or putting it under "suspected poacher or possible next world champ clay shooter?"

Ray Mears quoted at one of his seminars a while ago that hunters and conservationists are often battling each other, but the best type of person is both.

Some Twitchers know the reality and understand, however some always will believe you are murdering any rare and special bird in sight.

This is shocking, I'd really like to think I would be able to keep my cool but I don't know if I could.

I would 100% have called the police on 999 when they were there! I'm not being funny but who do they think they are, I love birds I spend a fortune feeding them in the winter months. They are too ignorant to see that if it wasn't for some shooting clubs controlling land and habitat there would be a lot less birds about to see.

I am lucky, I pass a lot of dog walkers and bird watchers walking to some of my grounds only once a person questioned me on why I would to shoot these beautiful birds. My response was " are you a vegetarian?" "No" he replied " do you eat beef" I asked "erm yes" was is reply " well see those cows on the marsh there, I think they are beautiful and you pay someone to take them to an abattoir but a bolt to their head, then hang them upside down, slit their throat and then butcher them up, I rule out the middle man" to which he replied " beef doesn't come from those does it" I just laughed and walked on.

Ray Mears quoted at one of his seminars a while ago that hunters and conservationists are often battling each other, but the best type of person is both.

Some Twitchers know the reality and understand, however some always will believe you are murdering any rare and special bird in sight.

I have found most very understanding in fact I have never had an issue with the genuine birder, quite the reverse had many an interesting chat. I do avoid telling trespassers off though as I feel it does little real good and fuels resentment also when I am holding a gun its just plain asking for a 999 call if it gets heated (which you might not be in control of). I have the odd tease now and again when they ask if I have seen the marsh harrier etc. I like to tell them things like yeah it was trying to take my hat off this morn or I don't like them they taste too gritty, but only in good faith to the right person

Many reap what they sow on the vary rare occasion I have had anything said I just blank them 100% as they are doing it for a rise anyhow

These are not proper twitchers, more a bastardised mix of an animal extremist and thugs.

Your club members should be under instructions to call their police on every occasion that they are found trespassing on your land and committing offences under Section 4\5 public order act. Why should they get away with ruining your days sport.

Personally I would get one of the those cheap small cameras from eBay, for when trouble and accusations do come then evidence is king.

Edited by Livefast123

just a thought if you have creeks on your, marsh if it happens again cross a good size one if they follow fine let the tide come in some wade back, leave them there they will think twice next time. AS Fletcher said in porridge " don't let the ********

grind you down

Remember if someone makes an approach on the marsh or foreshore and you know they should not be there you have a duty of care for that person / persons.

Before you engage with anyone unload your gun and record anything that may be said, inform them that you are carrying out a legal activity and that they should not be there and that they should or you leave the marsh, if they refuse then call the police.

It's very important that you record everything, be civil at all times don't forget it's you that has the most to loose .

Remember if someone makes an approach on the marsh or foreshore and you know they should not be there you have a duty of care for that person / persons.

Before you engage with anyone unload your gun and record anything that may be said, inform them that you are carrying out a legal activity and that they should not be there and that they should or you leave the marsh, if they refuse then call the police.

It's very important that you record everything, be civil at all times don't forget it's you that has the most to loose .

That implies you are responsible for the idiot if they get stuck in the mud / fall over / get cut off / drown...why would you think that?

Of course make the gun safe and I agree video evidence is great but if the fools want to put their lives in danger due to the mud / tide that's up to them!

I never had any real run ins on the marsh with antis, but i can recall a certain local who drives along the sea wall who has messed up several goose flights deliberately.

I've bumped into a few twitchers and the odd person with giant cameras taking photos, infact myself and two other pw members had their photo taken one morning!

That implies you are responsible for the idiot if they get stuck in the mud / fall over / get cut off / drown...why would you think that?

Of course make the gun safe and I agree video evidence is great but if the fools want to put their lives in danger due to the mud / tide that's up to them!

Well I speaking from experience, one broken windscreen some real hassle that if I had bothered to record the event I'd have saved myself a lot of trouble, the advice I give comes from a policeman, and might just help in you not losing your shotgun ticket.

We used to have a bit o trouble in the 60s and early 70s but the wildfowlers then were Wild in every sense of the word and most of them could sort there own problems out .If a newbee joined the R S P B and walked on top of the wall waving his arms while a couple of guys were pushing on to some fowl and put them up before they had a shot he was asking for trouble. They would have turned round rowed back as if they were going back home and then cut across to the wall he was on and his escape route was cut off, it didn't matter how far he had gone they would have caught him up, with all the rowing they done they were a fit as fiddles Once they caught him up they didn't use any violence but told him in no uncertain terms that if he ever did that again he would end up swimming with the ducks he was watching and that was no idle threat .after a while things got better and most of them got on well with each other .Now I still see some of the old birdie boys and we all get on fine often telling each other if there are any rarities about.

Yes mat I was one of those fowlers and had a injured shellduck in my rucksack which he was very interested in . By the way its doing well living with chickens and geese and keeps hissing at my brother.

Good to hear its doing well, i seem to recall it was abit of a noisy little thing whilst getting a free ride in your bag!

I reckon any complaint by someone who hasn't the decency to leave details or even a mobile number (as they're not traceable by ordinary folk) should be ignored, and anonymous letters belong in the bin! some people love to stay hidden and cause trouble but oh boy don't they just love to see someone else in the local paper being named and shamed and spoken about. I'm unfamiliar with 'true' wildfowling on the shore or marsh but could it be the case there was more than one shooting?

I'd agree, if the clubs rules don't already cover it then they need amending ASAP

Any valid complaint must be accompanied with the name and contact details of the person making the complaint, if they can't do this then it should be viewed as trouble making and nothing less.

The landowner has a duty of care (even if they are trespassing), not the wildfowler, so you don't need to worry about that one from a legal point of view unless the person concerned owns the land.

Just a bit of advice if you are on the fore shore and you need the police or the coast guard ring on your mobile phone 112 not 999 this will get your local emergency call centre and they can locate you via gps on your phone.When I go punt gunning I put my phone in a plastic sandwich bag and glue the seal with super glue to make it 100% water proof and you can still use it though the plastic bag hope this is helpfull.