Illegal or Legal?

It could depend what conditions are on your FAC. From what I can read on a my FAC magazines have to be unloaded.

An interesting post. Also the underlying laws in N.I might be different anyway?

(My comments have all been based on current laws on the mainland. Maybe should try and remember that we have members from all over)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit difficult hiding the fact when your rifle is leaning up against the bar and your pearl handled sixguns are hanging from your waist !

Don't laugh this is what I used to do 25 years ago I was employed with Lincolnshire police when not working on a Friday night myself and another officer used to go foxing if we had been successfull we used to come back to the police club for a pint around 10pm the rifles stood in cases behind the bar much safer than in the car

Deershooter

I only have a 25 shot mag for my lr which feels like forever trying to load it up :)

My shooting on a couple of farms actually needs the gun ready as you pull in the gate honestly. It's where the pests are .

I

Remember it's illegal to carry a Stanley knife in your van door unless at work but I still do and will carry on doing it.

Aside from the fact there's no actual need to have them hanging off you whilst in the pub. No need to show off the fact you've just been shooting. Pocket or a bag is fine for your bolt & ammo but having it on display is a potential hassle / security risk that isn't recommended.

C'mon.... Did you not detect a little bit of flippancy in the post...

Was illustrating that it perfectly fine to be out and about with a magazine....

I personally like to take some to yoga lessons

Edited by happypig

Don't laugh this is what I used to do 25 years ago I was employed with Lincolnshire police when not working on a Friday night myself and another officer used to go foxing if we had been successfull we used to come back to the police club for a pint around 10pm the rifles stood in cases behind the bar much safer than in the car

Deershooter

Still happens.

On the odd occasion I have a sandwich and a pint for lunch and, as you say, rather than leave a rifle in the Gator I take it in the pub with me.

Think I'd draw the line at doing it in Harlden though

It is classed as a loaded rifle in Law. Important for PCP air gunners particularly to remember this especially (with those fiddly little mags) as its a loaded rifle in a public place , the fact its not fitted to the gun is irrelevant

wow,that makes no sense to me.......I live & learn.

Much as it pains me to admit it, I have to agree with everything Kent has said. :whistling: A loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded firearm.

I can't see there'd be a problem moving from field to field but travelling to and from your shooting would be hard to justify.

Still happens.

On the odd occasion I have a sandwich and a pint for lunch and, as you say, rather than leave a rifle in the Gator I take it in the pub with me.

Think I'd draw the line at doing it in Harlden though

I always take my guns in the pub if I go for a pint after shooting.

It's not unusual around where I love though.

As long as you don't learn the little gem of balderdash you quoted.

You know what Charlie, I DO recall reading this somewhere, whether it was a legal detail, I don't remember.

Much as it pains me to admit it, I have to agree with everything Kent has said. :whistling: A loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded firearm.

I can't see there'd be a problem moving from field to field but travelling to and from your shooting would be hard to justify.

+1 - I hope it's not infectious

How can a loaded magazine be considered to be a loaded firearm,when the definition of a fire arm is clearly stated.

The term firearm is defined as a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged

Your reference of section 6 (b) does not tally with the link?

My reading of the act is:

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F1(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.]

So it makes NO difference carrying a firearm in a public place with ammo in a magazine, in a box or one up the spout!

How can a loaded magazine be considered to be a loaded firearm,when the definition of a fire arm is clearly stated.

The term firearm is defined as a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged

Moderators are classed as firearms so maybe loaded mags are too ?

Moderators are classed as firearms so maybe loaded mags are too ?

That is because under the description of a firearm they fall under the last bit of the description as the shot bullet or missile is discharged through them,something that a magazine is incapable of doing

Edited by welsh1

Your reference of section 6 ( B) does not tally with the link?

Are you sure? I thought I had posted a link to section 57 paragraph 6? which defines the term "loaded".

You are referring to section 19, which is also relevant but different to my point.

I actually feel a bit of a cheapskate now, for offering to send £10 to the PW charity when I know in my heart that it will not happen.

The reason I am so confident is based on all the available evidence and the fact that in all the previous similar threads there has not been a shred of evidence - just hearsay and old wives tales - exactly like this thread.

If any can PROVE otherwise, I want to know about it because it will benefit me as much as everyone else. But I just can't see it happening.

In summary, (on the Uk mainland covered by 1968 Firearms act as ammended)

1 a magazine is not a firearm (this is a defined term)

2 even if it was it cannot be loaded (again this is a defined term)

3 even if it was it still isn't illegal as long as you have good reason.

I guess I hoped that someone who was confident of the opposite view would make an offer to match it, but I can't see that happening either.

At least Ordnance did post something concrete which has added an interesting angle. So I'll send the £10 in his honour :good:

You might think it is better to be safe than sorry, which I don't argue with- but the advice given to new airgun owners especially regarding "loaded" magazines is a bit misleading and could lead to a false sense of security.

for this reason:

Originally the 68 Act said

19 Carrying firearm in a public place

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place a loaded shot gun or loaded air weapon, or any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm.

(my bold)

so it can be seen why there was a concentration on loaded air weapons.

As far as I can tell, it currently says this

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.E+W+S

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

( a )a loaded shot gun,

( b )an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

( c )any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

( d )an imitation firearm.]

(my bold again) notice the difference. The law has been tightened, So if you don't have a good reason/excuse then it is illegal to have an air weapon in a public place. The fact you have unloaded the gun, taken the magazine out and then emptied the magazine makes no difference.

If you do have good reason, then the "loaded" magazine argument is irrelevant.

The only time it could be relevant is if someone was in public with no gun but had a magazine with pellets in it.

Is that really what some people are saying is "illegal"?

Edited by HW682

Is that really what some people are saying is "illegal"?

No, well yes, it might be. But I fear you're wasting your time. These type of threads come up on PW regularly, it's usually theoretical scenarios involving being stopped by the police at night, the old chestnut of whether or not to phone plod before you go out shooting (as if), or being stopped with something that you shouldn't have with you. But people don't usually report these things actually happening, or at least not to my knowledge.

As always, common sense in the eyes of a reasonable person, and knowledge of safe handling and transport of firearms, almost always comes up trumps.

There should be distinctions made as to whether people are talking about airguns, firearms or shotguns, and whether the magazine is integral to the gun or detachable, as there is a difference and several people seem to be mixing them up.

From my reading of the legislation (and it has been quoted several times in this thread), there are no restrictions on carrying loaded, detachable magazines for a firearm (which i THINK is what the OP was referring to), subject to the usual good reason to have ANY firearm with ammo in a public place requirement.