Ground is too hard for hide poles

camojohn

How do you cope with the hard ground? The last time I was out I couldn’t get my hide poles into the ground. I ended up tying 3 poles together to make a tripod for the middle of the net, and tied the ends of the net to a bush. I had to rest my shell decoys on top of the crops, because I could not get the stakes in. I was thinking of taking a hammer and a spike with me, but that extra weight to carry.

How do you all manage?

How do you cope with the hard ground? The last time I was out I couldn’t get my hide poles into the ground. I ended up tying 3 poles together to make a tripod for the middle of the net, and tied the ends of the net to a bush. I had to rest my shell decoys on top of the crops, because I could not get the stakes in. I was thinking of taking a hammer and a spike with me, but that extra weight to carry.

How do you all manage?

This comes up a lot....an my answer is this regarding weight.....100 pigeons = around 100 lbs which is far greater than the extra weight of hammer and spike

Also far cheaper than stamping on your pole foot plate and breaking it....................

TEH

This comes up a lot....an my answer is this regarding weight.....100 pigeons = around 100 lbs which is far greater than the extra weight of hammer and spike

Also far cheaper than stamping on your pole foot plate and breaking it....................

TEH

Shoot 100 pigeons, in my dreams maybe LOL. As for breaking the hide poles, I have already done that with one of my home made jobies. It’s time to buy some proper poles. Can anyone recommend which ones to buy without going to mad on the ££.

Shoot 100 pigeons, in my dreams maybe LOL. As for breaking the hide poles, I have already done that with one of my home made jobies. It’s time to buy some proper poles. Can anyone recommend which ones to buy without going to mad on the ££.

A cheap option are washing line poles from B&Q or a similar large store....around £3.00 each....However they have no tread plate...

so you will need.....

A

HAMMER AND SPIKE! LOL............. :whistling:

TEH

How do you all manage?

Really? You can't work this out for yourself and yet you are let loose with a shotgun? Come on. Lol.

This has always baffled me. You could probably win the argument that most pigeon shooting takes place on stubble. The time of year dictates that the ground is likely to be rock hard yet I've never come across any poles that are up to the job in their manufactured state without some form of assistance as previously posted. I modify the bottom end of any I buy now that I don't have the 'facilities' to make my own. If you know what I'm talking about, the best 'spike' to use is a length of the bottom end of a trip flare picket, often available from exWD stores.

This has always baffled me. You could probably win the argument that most pigeon shooting takes place on stubble. The time of year dictates that the ground is likely to be rock hard yet I've never come across any poles that are up to the job in their manufactured state without some form of assistance as previously posted. I modify the bottom end of any I buy now that I don't have the 'facilities' to make my own. If you know what I'm talking about, the best 'spike' to use is a length of the bottom end of a trip flare picket, often available from exWD stores.

I know again I will come over as contrary. But most pigeon shooting shouldn't be carried out over stubble. It should be carried out when the birds are attacking the fresh crop or after broadcasting. But as has been pointed out to me by farmers there are far to many warm weather shooters. Get out there in the frost and rain and do proper crop protection. Shooting over stubble should be the icing on the cake not the main concentration. I know some will say killing birds now will stop them destroying crop next year which is true. But if you had shot them in the winter they wouldn't have had young now.

With out getting personal, I really don't get this weight issue!!

As I previously stated a pigeon comes in around a pound in weight and people are glad to carry back what ever they have shot in how many trips it takes to carry them back....

So why does this weight issue of a claw/club hammer + a spike come in to the equation when the ground is hard...

Regarding the stubble shooting being the high light of the year I must agree....

It will and always is over far to quickly and then the posts of people complaining " it is too far to walk as the kit is too heavy " will pop up with there usual frequency...........

TEH

I know again I will come over as contrary. But most pigeon shooting shouldn't be carried out over stubble. It should be carried out when the birds are attacking the fresh crop or after broadcasting. But as has been pointed out to me by farmers there are far to many warm weather shooters. Get out there in the frost and rain and do proper crop protection. Shooting over stubble should be the icing on the cake not the main concentration. I know some will say killing birds now will stop them destroying crop next year which is true. But if you had shot them in the winter they wouldn't have had young now.

Not contrary, true. But it doesn't alter the fact that - if I may borrow TEH's words - that the stubble is the high-light of the year.

A cheap option are washing line poles from B&Q or a similar large store....around £3.00 each....However they have no tread plate...

so you will need.....

A

HAMMER AND SPIKE! LOL............. :whistling:

TEH

The one's I have are washing line poles, with wooden kickers. Been working ok up till now. just need some with a better kick plate.

Really? You can't work this out for yourself and yet you are let loose with a shotgun? Come on. Lol.

You right, I’m not sure which end of my shotgun is more dangerous. My end because I’m holding it or the end where the shot comes out LOL

The one's I have are washing line poles, with wooden kickers. Been working ok up till now. just need some with a better kick plate.

Go and buy some decent poles as over time as the frustration and time lost will mess up a good day...

A mate bought a set 5 years ago @ £50.00 so that works out at 20p a week.....

Not that I drink or smoke but fags are roughly £7.00 a packet and a pint £ 3.00....

TEH

I am lucky that the vast majority of my perms have a decent headland which can be driven 90% of the year, I have in the past had reason to carry my kit to the desired location and I know that it is very hard going at times, I suppose the point is that if your hide and decoys are not dressed/presented properly and you spend longer building cause you can't get your poles in the ground because you didn't want to carry the extra weight of a hammer and spike then you will be constantly frustrated at having to adjust your hide as soon as the wind gets up or adjust your pattern due to decoys falling from the crop that you have balanced them on.

At the point when the ground becomes difficult to work it also cracks as it bakes in the sun, try and use the cracks in the ground for decoy pegs etc, and make a second trip to the car for the things which will make your day out (precious time) a pleasant and effective one.

Just my opinion but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Regards......

With out getting personal, I really don't get this weight issue!!

As I previously stated a pigeon comes in around a pound in weight and people are glad to carry back what ever they have shot in how many trips it takes to carry them back....

It will and always is over far to quickly and then the posts of people complaining " it is too far to walk as the kit is too heavy " will pop up with there usual frequency...........

TEH

I agree. I often walk and carry the stuff over even if it's two trips. It's good for you (A bit of exercise) especially as you'll likely be fairly stationary for a long time after.

In use 4 midgets each are 4' 4" high, they help carry all my gear and then stand and hold the net if the ground is hard .

I find 4' 4" the right height if I am sitting , if I need to stand I provide them with a box each , the boxes also help with carrying dead birds back to the motor.

Edited by fenboy

Hers's one for you,

Tent poles, the flexi type that are inserted inside the tent http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/107909-vango-fibreglass-pole-set-8-5mm-silver.html thread through the net, prop up with 2 or 3 poles dont have to be stuck in the ground you can shove each end into a hedge tie guy ropes to each end secure in the hedge. sorted.

You can add to the length of course to make your hide bigger. Ive used this method for years, because of the problems with hard ground. My net has them perminantly attatched using small cable ties.

When i get to my chosen spot i unfold the net, shove each end into a hedge if theres one there of course ( i'm not into taking hedges around with me, they are bloody heavy) if there's no hedge then add more poles and you have a round hide. prop the front up with an extendable pole ( fishing rest 4ft > 7ft) sorted.

I suppose it may end up being heavier than a hammer, but hey ho :)

Edited by Dougy