jimny as a first car

WinchesterDave

Okay I'm looking at getting a jimny as my first car. I've been driving my mum's fiesta for about a year now but I would love a 4wd.

Everyone who knows me knows I'm a massive landie fan so ideally I'd love a defender or disco however currently they are out of the question and jimny seems like the best option formy current situation... New driver who wants a proper 4wd.

In reality I won't actually use it off road much but I'd prefer to have something different to what other lads my age want I. E. A corsa and have the novelty knowing that if I wanted to I could go places others can't kind of thing haha.

So questions to you guys are, a stock jimny, how do they cope off road? In reality if driven correctly how far can they go?

I'm looking at a 2005 onwards model with the electrical 4wd settings are there any problems with these considering the electrics?

On road what are they like day to day? Professional car reviews slate them but owners seem to like them so what would you rate them on the road?

If I got older pre 2005 for cost reasons is there anything to look out for on one?

Finally is there any other 4x4 you can think of i might get insurance on I'd love to know.

Sorry about all the questions

Dave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old crappy vitara?

You could get one for sub £500, they aren't fast (Neither is a Jimny)

But the old Vitara's are so good. Will teach you some mechanics along the way if you purchase a haynes manual - they are dead easy to work on and change diff oils and box oil etc...

And if you get it stuck and smash a few bits off road you won't be upset, you'll be thrilled it now looks as cool as the others!

I have a 57plate family carrier, and also a cheap old Vitara (brought off a nice member off here) - and the Vit was sub £500 and cheap as chips to run and If there was an apparent apocalypse and you needed to pick the car you would try to outrun all the zombies etc, I'd chose the Vit.

Besides, the chicks love a convertible, and even if they laugh at your car you could woo them with your knowledge that a pink one with white top was the original Barbie beach car... guaranteed to get you in the sack.

in cars of that vintage, consider the road tax benefits of different years and engines. 2001 was the changeover year from engine size to emissions based calculations. A Jimny registered before March 2001 will cost £145 a year whereas the same car registered 1 month later in April 2001 will run you £265 and have you in the same road tax band as my 3.7L Jeep Cherokee.

Also keep in mind if you end up looking at higher emissions vehicles there is another cutoff in 2006 (March) where older vehicles use a fixed 'K' band while newer ones can go higher. My 53 plate Jeep is a 'K' band at £285 a year, but if it were a little newer and registered after the cutoff it would be £500 for the same vehicle (the car didn't change at all in those years but the rules did).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

My money would be looking at a Vitara as there is a lot more room for any gear or dogs (or friends) and they are much nicer to drive on the road while still being able to go offroad (supposedly, I haven't driven them offroad, only onroad).

thanks,

rick

Haha you'd be needing to learn your way around many spanners with a series defender.

Vitara's I would suggest would be a great first car - roll it and you'd not be that upset.

Gumtree and Evilbay good for cheap vitara's.

You can get some with less than 100,000 on the clock around M reg for under a grand. Parts a pretty cheap, however soft top's second hand aren't too easy. But you can do some cool pick up conversions and all sorts with a Vit. Just a bit of a muck about vehicle.

I had some issues with my one with the wiring behind the head unit, so ripped a bit apart and found the wires and did some jittery pokery and all is well - wouldn't want to attempt than on a much newer car.

Offroad it's been great - prefer it to my LWB Shogun I had. It seems to skip over the mud to a degree. Tyres aren't too dear either (Unlike Shoguns) and being a 1.6 petrol it's got a sweet little engine.

Probably not the best wading car by a long shot, but you could work around that! (being a petrol).

The 4wd box is a proper one with a real stick (unlike all that electrically going wrong stuff) and has 2wd, 4wd and 4wd low range (which is good).

IF you buy a cheap newer car(I.e finding the best value one for that year) you'll give yourself more chance of finding problems you can't afford to fix. At least with a old Vit, if it goes mega wrong, buy another one for £500 and keep the broken one for spares :-).

Diahatsu Terios is well worth a look.High ground clearance and better mpg than the Jimny.Had one for nine years now and has done every thing asked of it .Folding seats so you can get all your gear in ( and the dog).Where heavier vehicles get bogged down the Diahatsu skims over the soft stuff.If they still imported them would certainly buy another.

Have a look at NFU for your insurance. When I had my Defender 90 2.5litre diesel it was the cheapest quote for my son to drive it. Also has they are cheaper to insure than some smaller cars for some reason.

They didn't even bat an eye and quote silly prices for insurance when I was looking for a quote for me as she was rebuilt and on a Q plate.

The Jimny is very good off-road if you need it. Also it is a good vehicle for training a new driver. It doesn't really have any performance to talk about so you have to learn to read the traffic and maintain smooth progress. A skill that will stand you in really good stead for the rest of your driving life. Go for it and have fun.

David.

JImny are small, thirsty, and poor on the road..... not ideal for a new driver (i understand the not wanting a corsa etc) there are more interesting things out there. But need a bit of know how.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Felicia-Fun-Pick-Up-/271596290480?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item3f3c6681b0

Always wanted one :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-PROTON-JUMBUCK-1-5-GL-/331309224931?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d239193e3

Nice little truck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-SUBARU-284-4WD-PICK-UP-Brat-Brumby-MV-Pickup-1800-Petrol-Towbar-Beige-/271576253187?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f3b34c303

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-JUSTY-4x4-4-DOOR-/171445801177?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27eaf750d9

Actually very good off road! (limited ground clearance)

Nicer colours were available....

Hdav thank you for those links, I will definitely have a further read up on the vitara only problem with the vit would be higher insurance because of the bigger engine that's all.

Out of curiosity, because this is one aspect to 4x4s I like, will there be a noticeable difference in driving position in a vitara or jimny I.e. Sitting 'high' up, compared to a fiesta which I am currently driving?

Probably sounds like a silly question haha

Dave

Hdav thank you for those links, I will definitely have a further read up on the vitara only problem with the vit would be higher insurance because of the bigger engine that's all.

Out of curiosity, because this is one aspect to 4x4s I like, will there be a noticeable difference in driving position in a vitara or jimny I.e. Sitting 'high' up, compared to a fiesta which I am currently driving?

Probably sounds like a silly question haha

Dave

Not a silly question at all, if you are fairy new to driving its important to factor this stuff in.

A fiesta is fairly upright in drivin I feel (the newer shape ones) my sister had one and I used to drive it.

I don't think you'll notice it too much from fiesta to Vit or Jimny, if you got into a disco or shogun you would notice as they are so high up etc... A vitara is not noticeable in my opinion really.

Insurance wise, it may have a larger engine but it it's cheaper etc it shouldn't make a hige difference, plus they are likely to be slower than your fiesta lol. (But loads more fun). I drive my vitara everywhere now, always makes me smile. In that type of car you don't feel the need for speed so much if that makes sense

Not a silly question at all, if you are fairy new to driving its important to factor this stuff in.

A fiesta is fairly upright in drivin I feel (the newer shape ones) my sister had one and I used to drive it.

I don't think you'll notice it too much from fiesta to Vit or Jimny, if you got into a disco or shogun you would notice as they are so high up etc... A vitara is not noticeable in my opinion really.

Insurance wise, it may have a larger engine but it it's cheaper etc it shouldn't make a hige difference, plus they are likely to be slower than your fiesta lol. (But loads more fun). I drive my vitara everywhere now, always makes me smile. In that type of car you don't feel the need for speed so much if that makes sense

Thanks mac! So you can't tell the difference in ride height or is it just slighty higher? I do like the idea of a higher ride height tbh.

To be fair I don't like going fast in the fiesta anyway, well sometimes on corners a bit.... But everytime I get in it i just wish I was driving a 4wd and would happily trundle about the back roads in it in the country (I do that now actually in the fiesta but would feel better in the likes of a jimny) will like it even more in the snow haha!!;)