Shoot day fines

I would assume that all fines are charged in the right manner and accepted in the right spirit. after all the shoots I have been a part of have all had the right level of banter, safety and fun.

I personally believe that fines are in general just part of the fun and I would like to guess (maybe naively) that the shoot captain will be discrete in who is fined, who is not and who he collects the fines from.

If we ever fine on our shoot the cost is a round at the pub after the shoot, generally the victim gets in fast or last and gets off with a few drinks bought but no significant financial damage is incurred and so far no grumbling has been heard from the back benchers.

I may be wrong though?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly focuses the mind rather than 'blasting' away at every bird that passes over regardless of height, or at some times of the season, maturity or sex

Edit to add by height I mean whether the bird is sporting ie not low

Ok - so as you'll infer from my comment above - I've never been on a proper driven day. Are you saying then that people are told only shoot cock pheasants or only hens or something like that? Can all of your guests tell the difference in the heat of the moment? Not sure I could (but then I've never shot pheasant).

Edited by neutron619

£1000 for shooting a Reeve's Pheasant

Biggest pain in the bum on our shoot were the Reeves pushing out all the other birds from their territory. They went to meet their maker quietly one afternoon.

We normally had a few white birds that cost a bottle of Port or Gin.

I do love the idea of numbering a load of white birds and having some where the other guns pay the fine or you get fined for shooting it.

Yes early season some birds may not have full plumage, late season may be cocks only, keeping your eyes peeled for a white bird also means you should see the obvious differences between fully feathered cocks and cocks with a short tail and later on cocks and hens, keeping a level head with a bit of thought rather than trying your hardest to get as much lead in the air is some sort of frenzy will also mean you'll be more aware of your surroundings, the beaters, stops and pickers up and, I find, you'll enjoy it more.

Yes early season some birds may not have full plumage, late season may be cocks only, keeping your eyes peeled for a white bird also means you should see the obvious differences between fully feathered cocks and cocks with a short tail and later on cocks and hens, keeping a level head with a bit of thought rather than trying your hardest to get as much lead in the air is some sort of frenzy will also mean you'll be more aware of your surroundings, the beaters, stops and pickers up and, I find, you'll enjoy it more.

Ok - thanks for the explanation - received and understood.

Oh I so like this thread........ the ideas just keep rolling in!

Thought you would :whistling:

Did you not fine some of us a couple of seasons ago for shooting after the horn (a pheasant presented it's self and someone shot at it as the horn was blown meaning the other guns down the line didn't hear (I was one of said guns and parted with £5 in your favour :blush: as I was a guest on that day))

On the same drive JC ran out of cartridges :no: did he get a fine for that?

Could somebody please explain to me - in all seriousness - why fining ones guests for the shooting of what I assume is legitimate quarry is seen to be a good thing?

I mean, if a white pheasant is not legal quarry - and I've never heard it isn't - by all means dissuade your Guns from shooting them by fining them (and then report them to the police), but if it is, isn't this just a vindictive way of fleecing more money from guests who have already paid a decent amount to be there?

I mean - if I ever have the money to go on a driven day, it'll be by scrimping and saving all year. To then be told I've suddenly got to find another £100 to pay for a bird I shot in good faith (or possibly by accident if it was silhouetted and I couldn't make out the colour) on the basis of an arbitrary rule just seems vindictive to me.

Sure, if you're the Duke of wherever and £100 is small change, then go right ahead, but I bet there are a lot of people who won't have £100 in their wallets because a good proportion of their money has gone on paying for the day in the first place. I just don't get how this sort of thing is polite or welcoming unless the expectation is that one only has a certain type of guest on one's shoot? Or is that the point - the riffraff can't afford to attend?

I must say I agree with Neutron, Ive been shooting all my life, been out on several pheasant days many years ago, fines didn't exist, we shot by the rules, I worked an exceptional springer in those days and was welcomed everywhere, If they had tried to fine me I would have walked away and never gone back. now as a very poor pensioner, I can barely afford cartridges and diesel, going shooting where taking money from you for such ridiculous reasons is considered ok will exclude me and all those like me from shooting, a sad state of affairs . I hope I wouldn't be considered riffraff just because the government expects me to live on a pittance, after working for almost 50 years and paying my way, I like to think of myself as a retired country gent, with a passion for shooting. :yes::yes:

All adds to the fun of the day raises a bit of extra money for charity and or the shoot

It also keeps you on your toes and makes you concentrate on the day the birds and your surroundings

Nutron maybe you should ask in sporting opertunites if a member will take you along to watch a day not sure of your location or I'd offer

All the best

Of

I must say I agree with Neutron, Ive been shooting all my life, been out on several pheasant days many years ago, fines didn't exist, we shot by the rules, I worked an exceptional springer in those days and was welcomed everywhere, If they had tried to fine me I would have walked away and never gone back. now as a very poor pensioner, I can barely afford cartridges and diesel, going shooting where taking money from you for such ridiculous reasons is considered ok will exclude me and all those like me from shooting, a sad state of affairs . I hope I wouldn't be considered riffraff just because the government expects me to live on a pittance, after working for almost 50 years and paying my way, I like to think of myself as a retired country gent, with a passion for shooting. :yes::yes:

It's always down to the gamekeepers discretion

Whats the problem, if the Shoot Captain tells you not to shoot the white pheasant, you don't shoot it simple, if you do, you are fined. I put down a couple of white pheasants so I can work out, how far the birds are moving around the ground.

I have had guests at my shoot, that will just shoot everything that flies over them, then when asked where they were shot, have not marked any of them.

Reggiegun

Edited by reggiegun

I'm quite up for the fines as long as not to expensive or silly. It's better than being sent home. It nothing else it gives you more respect for the birds and makes sure you shoot what you should. Twice last season I lifted my gun to a sparrow hawk thinking it was a pigeon (sun in my face), waiting for a clear view saved me shooting it. If you can't identify your target, DON'T SHOOT. You can always ask what is fair game and what is not, and how to identify it.

There is a good list so far. Keep them coming.

there is no argument fines do not cost you a penny, even if you have saved for ages and your wallet is empty don't break the rules you don't pay simples. if you cannot identify it don't shoot it one of the basic rules.

fines can add fun, I've been on small shoots where you could be fined £1 for missing a magpie/jay but you must shoot at it if it's in range

Back in Ireland I shot a few days,5 drives 8 pegs on each drive,there was never any fines or money involved but if you broke any of the rules the keeper set down you would miss the next drive on the day so you watched what you shot at or you might end up just shooting a couple of pegs,or if it was the last peg you would miss out on the first drive the next time you were invited,it worked and everyone played by the rules,things might have changed now that was 15 years ago,cheers vince

I presume by the shoot captains brief it is just before you go to shoot. So you pay to go shooting, but don't know about the fines till you turn up on the day. Is that correct.

To clarify this most of the fines are on DIY syndicate shoots the big pay days don't usually do them

The team usually knows the score before the day unless the captain changes the rules usually after you've done it its friends having fun a bit like the sweepstake

Shots fired

Total bag

Total beak and leg count

The obvious safety rules are at the briefing and some areas have various game birds they prefer not to be shot hence the rules and (fines)

(Shall we move on to the peg numbering system

Evens up 3 odds down 4 )

All the best

Of

I used to be on a DIY shoot.

It seems wise to fine guns who do no rearing (£50), dont attend work parties (£20) or main feed deliveries (£20). Unless that is they have a very valid excuse. This before shooting starts.

The guys now on the shoot have turned it into a very fun way to collect shoot funds. Everybody suggests fines for everyone else, it can be because they lose a shoot tool, or because they turn up for work parties inappropriately dressed for 'dirty work', or because they are miserable. Guns who have 2 wheeled drive quads etc etc. This just gets the fun and cameraderie going and the suggested fines are £1 or 50p. They arent levied but just suggested.

At the end of the season all the guns get to decide how may birds and what work is done and, probably with this new system will contribute the odd tenner to shoot funds for maybe more birds or wood, or a high seat, because they have had a few 'fines' suggested.

You have to know each other well enough for this and some will still complain even though its 'fictional'.

Raffles of donated books and equipment are also helped to swell funds.

Sadly some older guys can no longer afford the gun price, let alone fines.

I used to be on a DIY shoot.

It seems wise to fine guns who do no rearing (£50), dont attend work parties (£20) or main feed deliveries (£20). Unless that is they have a very valid excuse. This before shooting starts.

The guys now on the shoot have turned it into a very fun way to collect shoot funds. Everybody suggests fines for everyone else, it can be because they lose a shoot tool, or because they turn up for work parties inappropriately dressed for 'dirty work', or because they are miserable. Guns who have 2 wheeled drive quads etc etc. This just gets the fun and cameraderie going and the suggested fines are £1 or 50p. They arent levied but just suggested.

At the end of the season all the guns get to decide how may birds and what work is done and, probably with this new system will contribute the odd tenner to shoot funds for maybe more birds or wood, or a high seat, because they have had a few 'fines' suggested.

You have to know each other well enough for this and some will still complain even though its 'fictional'.

Raffles of donated books and equipment are also helped to swell funds.

Sadly some older guys can no longer afford the gun price, let alone fines.

Cor blimey Rob drove the mule over a bucket of tools n stuff then proceeded to get the mule stuck, imagine how much of a fine that would attract!

Well - to come back on this, I'm not likely to go on any driven days any time soon, so getting fined won't be an issue for me. I agree with always identifying your quarry before shooting - I should think basically everyone does.

I do think though, that if I were to try and get a day on such a shoot, I'd probably be too scared to shoot at anything if I thought I might get fined the equivalent of a week's worth of food for potentially making a mistake in good faith. Or worse, making the shot of my life and finding the bird was white. Or missing it and getting fined. You can see how it would put off an inexperienced Gun, I think.

Still - spending £500 on one day's shooting is a pipe dream at present, so as I said, I'm safe :)

I'm going on a reasonably priced day advertised on here - must pay the deposit but really looking forward to it now. !

As Neutron says fines can spoil a good day so guests should be exempt I feel. Ok mention the white birds or Turkeys/guinea fowl but shooting into almost full sun, its not going to be easy to spot a white bird so the benefit of the doubt ,makes for a better day and restricts no-one