Anyone use an old side by side for sporting clays?

Wingman

Well just back from a round of sporting at Valley View in Amersham using my old Spanish Master SxS. Apart from the ribbing I got from my shooting partners about calling antiques roadshow and the torrential rain I loved every minute of using it. I also managed to hit a few although pretty poor score overall 18 x 50, with the tight choking on the gun when I actually hit the clays it smoked them... Very satisfying!!!! it just felt right really easy in the swing and shot most targets gun down, which I normally do not do with my Winchester Select.

I was using a combination of Gamebore Evo 21 Gram no. 8's and some Eley 1st Selects in 7.5 28's recoil using the Eleys was fine although I have fitted a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on pad to the gun which definitely helps. The gun didn't miss a beat despite getting dripping wet and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable rounds of sporting I have shot in a while despite my poor scores!

Will definitely be using it again and I think I may be starting something of a collection of side by sides now!

So maybe we can arrange a PW Side by Side meet and shoot sometime!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just back from a round of sporting at Valley View in Amersham using my old Spanish Master SxS. Apart from the ribbing I got from my shooting partners about calling antiques roadshow and the torrential rain I loved every minute of using it. I also managed to hit a few although pretty poor score overall 18 x 50, with the tight choking on the gun when I actually hit the clays it smoked them... Very satisfying!!!! it just felt right really easy in the swing and shot most targets gun down, which I normally do not do with my Winchester Select.

I was using a combination of Gamebore Evo 21 Gram no. 8's and some Eley 1st Selects in 7.5 28's recoil using the Eleys was fine although I have fitted a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on pad to the gun which definitely helps. The gun didn't miss a beat despite getting dripping wet and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable rounds of sporting I have shot in a while despite my poor scores!

Will definitely be using it again and I think I may be starting something of a collection of side by sides now!

So maybe we can arrange a PW Side by Side meet and shoot sometime!!

Count me in.

Glad you enjoyed your shoot despite the weather.

I now shoot clays and woodies with a Webley and Scott 700 bl ej with 25" barrels. It has some choke in the barrels.I don`t know what it is, probably 1/4 and 3/4.

I`ve had the stock fitted. The gun is a joy to shoot with a suitable cartridge. It just seems to shoot itself so effortless is the handling.

I too believe that fashion is a significant feature in the modern popularity of the O/U.

We seem to have produced a generation who sometimes forget that a SBS is as effective as any other style of gun when pointed in the right direction.

Archie Coates used a sbs and never felt under gunned, as did Percy Stanbury. In fact, Stanbury`s specially made Webley and Scott is sometimes described as having features that made it shoot like a modern day O/U.

Wrong! Modern day O/U`s are built to shoot like Stanbury`s sbs!

I now shoot clays and woodies with a Webley and Scott 700 bl ej with 25" barrels. It has some choke in the barrels.I don`t know what it is, probably 1/4 and 3/4.

I`ve had the stock fitted. The gun is a joy to shoot with a suitable cartridge. It just seems to shoot itself so effortless is the handling.

I too believe that fashion is a significant feature in the modern popularity of the O/U.

We seem to have produced a generation who sometimes forget that a SBS is as effective as any other style of gun when pointed in the right direction.

Archie Coates used a sbs and never felt under gunned, as did Percy Stanbury. In fact, Stanbury`s specially made Webley and Scott is sometimes described as having features that made it shoot like a modern day O/U.

Wrong! Modern day O/U`s are built to shoot like Stanbury`s sbs!

I rest my case.

• 2 weeks later...

I realised long ago that no matter how much cash I threw at coaches and

guns. I would always be very average.

So being a fan of side by sides, they look elegant against a over / under,

well I think so.

I only use side by side for Sporting, DTL & Ball Trap and just enjoy

using them.

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by redial

Problem with most things nowadays we all think we need the best this or that :yes: most of it's pushed by the marketing people to turn a profit,imho if your a decent shot the gun you use wether ita a s/s or o/u semi or whatever is just a means of discharging the cartridge in a safe manner at whatever your pointing it at :yes:

some of the best shots ive come across use battered old guns,and some of the worst shots ive come across use top of the range guns :yes: so its not about what you can afford to shoot, but how you use what you can afford :good: BB

I realised long ago that no matter how much cash I threw at coaches and

guns. I would always be very average.

So being a fan of side by sides, they look elegant against a over / under,

well I think so.

I only use side by side for Sporting, DTL & Ball Trap and just enjoy

using them.

Cheers,

Phil.

I'm in a similar position.

I'm a rifle shooter, really. Give me a good rifle and a decent scope, and I'll drill holes in paper (or rabbits, or foxes) very effectively.

However, I'm pretty **** with a shotgun. Shooting so far in front of something just doesn't seem to 'fix' itself in my brain.

As such, I shoot game, clays, rabbits with a Gunmark Kestrel 20 bore SxS. Usually get 50-60%, just the same as I used to get when I exclusively used a 12 bore O/U for everything.

The 20 SxS is lighter, cartridges are lighter, it's marginally more expensive to feed, and loads of people remark on it, and how attractive a gun it is.

And I must admit, I love the 'classic' lines of a straight stocked SxS.

some of the best shots ive come across use battered old guns,and some of the worst shots ive come across use top of the range guns :yes: so its not about what you can afford to shoot, but how you use what you can afford :good: BB

So true!

I shoot really well with my Uguratecha SxS and it cost me around 100 quid. Its not pretty by any stretch, and very plain and has dings and scratches acquired over its 53 years of life. It does however feel wonderful and certainly seems more satisfying to shoot than my other main clay gun a Winchester Select Sporter 2 which I also love. I have shot with Krieghoffs, Blaser's and even a Purdey over the years and did I shoot any better with these "elite" guns... Not really!

So for me I would rather have half a dozen different and interesting guns in my cabinet than one mega expensive one!

Each to their own I guess!