12bore game cartridge for women

28g impax are soft shooting.

Look for a slower velocity shell as much as the grammage as the perceived recoil feels less, more of a push than a spike. I used hull high pheasant 30gm 7s for my game shooting until mid December when I changed to 32gm sipe 6s and the difference in recoil feels Much greater with the sipes.

I always find the 'slower' loads much kinder on the shoulder to shoot. I don't care much for the whole velocity/superfast thing.

RC 28g 6s are not only lovely and soft, but they kill pheasant very well at 40 yards. I had a load left over from pigeon shooting (see previous threads on ill-fitting gun and pigeon shooting) and I deployed them very successfully on pheasant this season. My loader said that he switched me away from the Lyvale of the same size and weight after the first drive because they weren't bringing birds down when he thought I had hit them, but was impressed with the RCs.

He said I simply missed the partridges though.

ETA professional game judging by the box

http://www.rc-cartri...l_game-315.html

Edited by ehb102

RC 28g 6s are not only lovely..... My loader said that he switched me away from the Lyvale of the same size and weight after the first drive because they weren't bringing birds down when he thought I had hit them, but was impressed with the RCs.

He said I simply missed the partridges though.

"My loader" oh how the other half live!

Which RC?

Might have to get a box or 2.......

Edited by HDAV

"My loader" oh how the other half live!

Which RC?

Might have to get a box or 2.......

I can't remember which RC put it said "pigeon" on the box.

My loader came with me to my first game shoot as my milestone birthday present. I was going to have one anyway, to stop me shooting beaters and so on. It was very handy to have someone teaching me field raft as we went. Stopped me making any faux pas anyway.

Hello all,

taking the wife out shooting and i can't decide on a light weight easy on the shoulder game cartridge.......

so fare the best i have seen in a 26g imperial game, any thoughts?

cheers!

Equal opportunities dictates she uses the same ammo as you! Lol!

Equal opportunities dictates she uses the same ammo as you! Lol!

Nah, mate, that's saying the only way to do it is the man's way. Equal opportunity is the nice soft cartridges, plus the (handsome optional) loader to carry your big heavy bags and drive a manly Landrover to get you to the point where you can shoot. At least that is what I told my husband :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is quite happy with imperial game. She shot up to 30g without any issue or notice of a bad kick; they are a bit comparable to the 'CompX' clay cartridge. She also shot some 34g RC3 steel but these were definitely making here wince a little.

Next I'm going to have her try the 32g N4 High Pheasants for end of season birds and she what she says. But as an 'all around' the Imperial Game seems to be the ticket.

Hull driven Grouse are nice and soft and kill well. Even the 32s are nice and smooth- the 5.5s were whacking some awesome birds at warter priory last time I was there with a female client of very slight build.

Weird, I found the 6.5 to be horrible through light weight sxs on walked up grouse in Sept.. To OP I would go with Imperial game, they pattern quite open though ..

Guest cookoff013

if one was so inclined a good subsonic in #4 is very exellent on game, it has next to no recoil, and can still do the business at 40yards.

the only problems are...

-no operate an auto.

-need to practice with shells.

the pros are..

-homeloads work.

-homeloads (subsonic) were limited data, but there are real solid data now.

there are 12gauge data for

21 gram subsonics,

28 gram subsonics,

32 gram subsonics

42g subsonics in 3"

" all fibre wadded too"

there is data out there, i think the recoil numbers are available from a test barrel. so "low recoil" is guaranteed, none of this "felt recoil" "lucky-recoil-reducing-underpants" gimmicks.

Guest cookoff013

Go for any traditional game load designed for shooting through old and sometimes delicate guns, usually 30g or under. Recoil will be as low as your going to get without going subsonic.

define "low" recoil. my issue with this is the recoil from normal 1400fps shells are sharp, regardless of powder type. even the traditional game loads are fast.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/game/cartridges/three-crowns-12

three crows with "modest recoil", thats a 30g load doing 1395fps, thats more punchy than a 28g clayload doing 1400fps. (just under half of the recoilometer they have.)

checking the subsonic loads on recoil.....

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/clay/cartridges/subsonic-lr

only a single unit of recoil....

and on the VLR about half a recoil unit. meaning the 3 crowns tradition load could have a recoil twice that of the "traditional game" load.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/clay/cartridges/low-sonic-vlr

whilst we are both singing from the "same hymsheet" i`m betting we have slightly different scales of what "low" recoil should be.

i doubt with some quality loadings that range is not diminished or performance on quarry. and i have heard that someone has used an aforementioned 42g subsonic for its controlable recoil for shooting "distant" targets.

the 32g subsonic has less recoil than about a 24g 1450fps load... and thats off a pressure barrel reading too. not "felt" recoil.

Guest cookoff013

Best low recoil cartridge I used was the Hull Chevron low recoil 1oz fibre. Real pleasure to shoot. If they did then in a 5/6/7 shot then would be a great game load

+1

its what i have emulated in my fibre subsonics, sadly smallest reloads 70mm, the fibre version is very soft and about an ounce. it a load i tried to emulate. because i love the 1oz subsonics loads. now that in a 5 would be very nice indeed. some complain that the shotcount is low, but if every piece of shot gets on a targetboard because it patterns so well is a great confidence booster.....

incidently its about £180, to reload these, saving estimated £50/ k. thats reloading power. (220-230)