Clothing advice

Blunderbuss

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to just through it out there but try to look for a Schoffel ptarmigan on sale my dad got one last year at the end of the season for £300 and used it for the first time on Friday in a very heavy down pour and rates it well. I know people who swear by them getting a new one every 10 years or so once it starts to get wet on the elbows when stalking not bad value if they last that long. It either that or a cocker spaniel (if i can get my parents round on side) on my wish list come christmas

George

Edited by groach1234

Its not barbour I dislike, it's waxed cotton. I quite like the look of the Barbour Linhope range, does anyone know anything about them?

Don't buy Barbour. I have a lot of Barbour kit and I have come to the conclusion that it is all total rubbish when compared to the likes of Musto, Schoffel and Laksen. Flashman warded me off a Barbour Linhope 3-in-1 jacket recently, having seen first-hand how poorly the jacket performed.

Don't buy anything that isn't Gore Tex-lined. Gore Tex substitutes do not work anywhere near as well as the real thing.

I would go for a Schoffel Ptargmigan or the new Musto Whisper. The Musto Highland is superb, but a little bit too much for lowland England.

Bought a cheap Seeland something or the other last year and it's been great so far. Having similar thoughts my self about a new coat but am thoroughly fed up with buying green stuff all the time, would really like something in brown.

That said, there are some good deals to be had on the Harkila Wisla at the moment which might also be worth a look. Always felt it was better to be able to add layers in a jacket rather than go for something mega that you can't take heat out of. Nothing worse than being hot and sweaty when out in the freezing cold.

BR

Raja

Meke sure you try on the Beretta GUL-6 as they are a peculiar shape. They are great quality & well made, thought the hood is a bit biff. I bought one a couple of years ago and in the shop all seemed fine. Went out shooting with it and discovered that when I mounted the gun, the sleeves shot up my arms almost to my elbow. I tried to offload it to all the syndicate members but they ALL found the same problem. Eventually flogged it off to my mate Brian who obviously has arms like a kangaroo.

Have to agree with whoever suggested Laksen stuff, though I could also be tempted by the Barbour Linhope Lightweight.

Cheers

TT

I had a Musto highlander and it was a very good, but very warm, padded jacket. The neck was not wide enough to accomodate mine, so it didn't fasten up well enough to turn a really foul day. It got nicked or I would still use it in winter.

I got sick of the quest to find the ideal allround coat and bought two. A lightweight Harkila gore-tex jobbie that was on sale a John Norris(£99.00) and a Deerhunter montana at a very low price off ebay (£52.00). I use the Harkila for warm days and deerhunter, with it's zip in fleece, for colder days and mornings/evenings in the high seat.

I must agree with Baldrick though, the Schoffel Ptarmigan with a zip in fleece has to be the best all round bet. On the better shoots i get invited to they are starting to take over. I wouldn't touch Barbour with a barge pole these days, I am sad to say. Their sizings have changed and quality control does not seem to be a priority for them. I have very fond memories of my Solway Zippers, but times have moved on.

Look at the Seeland range, there are some good offers on at the moment.

atb, ft

Having owned wardrobes full of wax cotton over the years, I will never buy it again, technology has moved on.

I still think waxed, heavyweight cotton is hard to beat for use as overtrousers/leggings/chaps for shoot work. I had a pair of Musto cordura leggings last season and trashed them within a matter of days. My old Barbour ones smell like a putrid muck-heap, but are virtually indestructible.

I haven't ranted about my Barbour Berwick Tweed jacket yet. That was a total waste of money. It is as breathable as a plastic rubbish sack, yet curiously porous whenever I come to use it in a downpour. What an intelligent bit of product design that is...

the short cut off leggins in waxed cotton are the best things invented for beating if you've lots of brambles. Other fabrics are fine with most forms of shooting and outdoors wear but waxed cotton is the only material you won't wreck with blackthorns and brambles.

Seeland beater jacket sounds up your street. Has everything on your wish list and more.

I've had one for about a year and a half now. Cool and light enough in Summer, warm in Winter, plus room for a fleece or jumper underneath when it gets really cold. It has an adjustable detachable hood, which folds small enough to go in a pocket. Plenty pockets etc. including 2 big cartridge pockets. I like the fact that it's cut fairly generously across the back, which allows unrestricted swing of shotty barrels.

Only downside to mine is that it will sometimes let a little water in, but only when it's really raining stair-rods for a long time. Not normally a problem with British Standard Drizzle.

Over all, highly recommended, and I've just seen some on the tinterweb for around the £160 mark, which means you get a lot of change from your budget.

Another vote for Musto.

I tried a Whisper for the latter part of last season and it is superb, knocks the socks off Barbour and having been a Barbour fan for nearly 50 years I can honestly say it's Musto for me now.

A couple or so of our beaters have tried Seeland but returned them as they leaked during very heavy downpours.

I wouldn't touch Barbour with a barge pole these days, I am sad to say. Their sizings have changed and quality control does not seem to be a priority for them. I have very fond memories of my Solway Zippers, but times have moved on.

I sadly have to agree. Their shirts are all over the place with the sizings and they shrink at least a size. The more 'technical' offerings from the likes of Musto (a brand which I buy) are far superior.

What outer material is truly thornproof? I'm loathe to buy the latest, bestest coat, to only rip it to ******* going through some brambles to the next peg. With Gortex and the like, brambles, barbed wire etc, will ruin your day, as will pulling on the coat too hard and stretching the membrane, as it will cause it to leak like a sieve. It all requires too much care...

I bought a wax Barbour from the factory shop and will give it a try this season. Yes, I know people tend to cook up in them, but as a Gun, not a beater, it's less of an issue.

PS, local farmer to me, who's so tight he regularly eats coal and passes diamonds, bought a Linhope 3-in1 super coat last year. We shot in epic, monsoon conditions and he couldn't face the last drive of the day, the coat leaked so much. Farmer spend quite some considerable time cursing the salesman, saying he'd worn the same wax coat for twenty years and never had a problem and was going to tar & feather the snakeoil salesman for flogging him such rubbish.

Oh how we laughed at another's misfortune...

Edited by Flashman

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my wish list:

It needs to be 100% wind and waterproof, but relatively lightweight - cool enough to wear in a summer downpour, but with room to layer up underneath in the winter. I have a Deerhunter Smallville, which is OK in the winter, but too warm and bulky at other times. I'm a big fan of Goretex, but not shy of other own brand membranes (Seetex, Deertex et al) with a good reputation.

No tweed and no cammo :lol: It needs to be dark green or olive, with reasonably traditional styling. It must be smart enough to wear with breeks and a tie on the occasional driven shoot, but not look too poncey with jeans in a pigeon hide!

Although I have some proper lairy coloured technical Goretex gear for serious hill bashing, this will double up for less strenuous walking/hiking, where it shouldn't look out of place.

It needs a waterproof hood and I prefer an integral one which rolls up into the collar, preferably with a wire rim, but would compromise on a detachable one if necessary.

It should have a "quiet" outer fabric, i.e. not be too "swishy" when moving about, like some mountaineering Goretex.

A couple of decent sized cartridge pockets would be nice, but I don't want too many gimmicks such as integral dog whistles, blaze orange "safety" vests or so many zips and pockets I could wear it to a fetish convention!

I'm willing to pay up to around £300, but far less if I can get away with it.

Suggestions! :lol::mad:

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm looking for something very similar and spent yesterday lunchtime trying various jackets.

One of my pet hates is the elasticated cuff inside the sleeve of many game jackets. It's a perfect way of trapping warm air and cooking the wearer. It's a compromise but the cuff on the Beretta GUN6 can be buttoned shut or left open, much better.

I was disappointed to find that the Schoffel Ptarmigan Super Lightweight (and its heavier siblings) has knitted cuffs. Why produce a lighter weight jacket that can't be ventilated???

Which brings me on to another pet hate; why don't more manufacturers put pit zips in their jackets? The GUN6 has a couple of grommets, which is part way there I guess.

The GUN6 is way too heavy for my needs (although it's a brilliant coat for cold weather). I think I'm looking for a waterproof shell, preferably with handwarmer pockets (so I can carry my gun under my arm comnfortably) and proper cartridge pockets.

I thought the Schoffel Alabama might fit the bill but it doesn't have the right pockets. Any ideas for a likely candidate? I'm actually considering designing my own...... :lol:

Cheers

Dave

sounds like you have expensive tastes! i've got a cheap as chips jahti jakt suit came with base layer thermals,fleece mid layer, a fleece then fully waterproof jacket and bottoms has an almost like a moleskin feel too it vitually silent, came with detachable hood which could also fold in to colar a headnet a baseball cap and a hi-viz vest all for the handsome sum of £180 i've had it 2 years and love it and its been washed a good few times and still just as water proof. but if i had the money i'd look at harkilla stuff