Ebay bargains / downfalls

garyb

The best bargain I ever got was a Honda pro petrol mower for £40. They're over £1k new and it was about a year old with little use. I think it was found in a deceased relatives shed. It was only described as a petrol mower so I got it for the starting bid. There were no pictures on the listing until you opened it either. I'm glad I was bored and went through the whole 50 odd pages to see what was about!

Worst buy was a K1250 petrol disc cutter. I bought it for £125 and it seized the first time I used it. When I stripped it it had loads of scores in the bore and was marked where it had seized before. They'd just knocked it loose so it would turn over and sold it. There was no proof that it wasn't my petrol at fault so I didn't get anywhere with that claim! :good:

Some good tales there!

I sold a Redding 223 Neck sizing die on there last week - for more than you could have purchased it from Midway :rolleyes:

Anyone from here :good:

To be honest, a lot of bargain reloading kit can be had from Ebay, I always keep an eye out for bits 'N bobs...

Picked up a Barbour bodywarmer for £16 delivered not to long ago... so hopefuly I won't be cold shooting over OSR this winter :rolleyes:

Best buys due to being advertised incorrectly:

2x 9'6" Fly rods - 99p each (and because he cocked up my collection he even delivered!!)

Yamaha electric organ worth £1000+, I put my highest bid at £750 and got it for £67.

Got given a box of motor cycle bits which was 80% of a 1980 XS400, couldn't be ***** to take it down the tip when I moved house, put it on the bay and got £220.

Got ripped off on a weekend in Paris, put in detailed complaint and got money back.

Bought some right useless cack when drunk though!!!

:rolleyes:

Nige

due to necrosis in my knee joints (if you are a diver dont do silly times like we did?) I am slowly but surely becoming just about crippled so one total knee replacement down complete with ceramic kneecap, and one to come shortly, my physio recomended an indoor excercise cycle, so did a bit of shoping around and guess what yep rubbish is cheap decent is through the roof!!! so onto ebay and came up with this high end job for £33.99 well pleased :angry:

KW

P1040914.jpg

Ooooh where do I start......

My best purchase was the number plate "X5 ***" off retention certificate for £12.50, and fair play to the vendor he honoured the deal.

Next best for pure utility value was a large 8 seater kitchen table and chairs from someone in Margate for £60 collected. The week earlier we had nearly bought the same set for about £2k

The trick is to focus on large bulky items that are "collection only" - it seems to put most bidders off and of course low or no bidders means a low auction hammer price.

When looking for a furniture to make my shooting bench, I found lots of decent local furniture (tables, benches and chairs) that were up for 99p - people stuck them on eBay because they were too good for the tip, they didn't want to pay for a skip to get rid of them and the real desire appears to be that someone else gets a use out of them.

I could have had a kitchen island station and 6 stools from a house in Ingatestone if I bid £1 and could be bothered to collect it - unfortunately I had no use for it and no where to store it. I did think about chopping it up to make a number of shooting rests but not even I could bring myself to do that.

i have just bought a shooting stick bipod thing and it has arrived faulty so trying to negotiate with the seller now. I will let you know how I get on. So far this is the only bad thing I have purchased on ebay.

the best thing I have bought is a fly rod that i found finnishing at 2am bought for £2 and worth £120

nick

Bought some good, some bad.

Wax jacket that sweated like a rapist and nearly broke my phone when the pockets filled with water in the rain.

Recently bought a Vitara, got it back to find a hole in the fuel tank. :angry: Been repairing that earlier tonight.

Got delivered two £75.00 bathroom cabinets last week :hmm: (second one in error)

Found my lovely Shogun on Ebay. Got done on the aircon (that it doesnt have) but still a great car.

Bought my boat from Ebay. The running costs arent for the faint hearted but a great toy.

Sold a business for £25K as a result of an advert I put on Ebay.

Bought 3 private number plates from Ebay. All bargains.

I generally find that if you have low expectations from Ebay purchases then you will never be disappointed ! ???

Not a bad one but just had my best bargain.

Genuine Land Rover pair of locking roof bars with carry bag for £0.99 + £6.50 postage :good:

Have been getting outbid on these left, right and centre but the advert called them a roof rack instead of roof bars so must have gone under most peoples radar.

Absolute bargain :lol: