poor shooting

lacrowbasher

Depends on the birds you are shooting at.When decoying them and they are coming in nicely,a ratio of 3 to 1 and better is expected.However,taking them flighting over is a different kettle of fish,and i have had sessions that would make your ratio look like your the late great Major Archie Coates.Dont worry about it,enjoy it and in time it should get better.Make sure cartridge choice is correct,as for cushies maybe 30-40 yards that is quite important.Something like 32g of 5s or 6s.

Dont worry the matinal average for pigeons is far higher that 5 to 1 .

Was out on a small walkup yeasterday I shot half of the bag of the 15 1/2 brace for 16 shots.

The other half of the bag was made up of the by the other 8 guns for in excess of 75 shots.

Kepp on pulgging away I was lucky and had the chance to shoot froma early age.

All the best OTH

i know how you feel, my days usually start off quite well and then go downhill fast after missing a few, does this sound familiar? i'm going on a lesson next week just to help things along. you're probably over compensating but dont panic, you're also probably pricking quite a few aswell. pigeons aren't like clays where one or two pellets will break a clay, they will not usually down a pigeon. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

:) well done for going for the lesson - my old rifle coach wouldn't let anyone say they were getting lots of practice, here's what he said and it's well worth bearing in mind;

"practicing is throwing lead down the range and hoping you'll improve - you need to be training, the difference is you anylise each shot for what you did right or wrong and you learn from it"

on the other hand, I've been shooting with shotguns for several years now and I just can't seem to get the hang of it, I'm far worse than you in fact - I'm starting to think I'm a rifle shooter and nothing else (which is true really but a shotgun can do things a rifle can't). Even a good few days on the clays didn't help me - I wasn't bad at that strangely but that doesn't help much.

Hi,

I have been shooting since april got 101 pigeons up till now I average 5 carts per bird and go as often as I can I have an over and under 12 b laurona double trigger any tips to improve my accuracy as its costing me a fortune :good:

get yourself a day on the clays, it really helps, I too started shooting pidgeons around 5 months ago, at first I averaged a box of carts per pidgeon :beer: dont laugh, as already stated, practise,practise,practise, got me to around 12 carts per bird, then an invite to a clay day, which I would never have done otherwise, had advice from lots of members and hit some clays, my next time out saw me getting bird for 2 carts, that hopefully wasent a one off, tomorrows trip out will tell

Get on the clays. It is the only way to learn about lead. Take all the advice you can get. Everyone means well, i've found that everyone is friendly and genuinely want newbies to improve. But until you can work it out for your self you can't go forward. One person's three inch lead is another persons three foot. It's all down to how quickly you move the gun through and in front of the target. I've been shooting for a year and have made slow but steady progress. Cost me a fortune in clay's and cartidges but nothing can beat that feeling of downing a few pigeons on your own in the hide. Just don't ask about decoying as this is just about as important as learning to shoot. Good luck mate.

I personally think the most important thing is to not get over excited or panic!!

I've been shooting for years now and even now on some days i get over excited or panic and the bird sticks two fingers up at me and waves goodbye :good::good:

It also can be phycological so don't put to much expectation on yourself, relax and enjoy!!!

regards turk101

You need to take stock of how you are setting up if you are decoying . Perhaps you are setting your coys up to far out and making it hard for your self by having to take long shots . I like to have my killing zone no further out than 30 yards and mostly I will have it at 20 yards . If you plan to kill them closer then you will have a better opotunity for a follow up shot if you miss or wound a bird .

Try putting a twig cut out of a hedge ,30 yards infront of you and two more 30 yards to the left and the right of you and dont shoot at anything beyond the twigs . When you look out from the hide you will see that the twigs dont look very far away , and the maximum sporting killing range is not much further than the twigs .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Don't worry about ratios, they mean nothing in the long run. I am not convinced clays will really help unless you are fairly inexperienced?

As others have said, make sure you have the right cartridges (I always use No 6) and learn the true range of your gun. No point in shooting at birds you're not going to hit, but no reason why you can't use those longer birds to practise your swing/lead technique on is there?

Hope you have a good day tomorrow :blink: