Avalon Guns

chidcp1

Hi Folks,

New to this board and shooting in general. Should be in possession of my (and wife's) SGC's very soon - FEO visit the other morning all went OK. So will hopefully be in a position to go 'shopping' for his and hers guns very soon!

While we will look locally to start with, I can see Avalon guns have a decent selection of guns that we could be interested in. However, they are a long way away! So I'd like opinions on whether they are worth a long distance visit and will they discount the prices shown on their website - particularly if we were looking at buying two guns?

Thanks

Clive

Middle of Kent, so Chris Potter's will be my first port of call when I start looking in earnest. I've got my eye out for a 2nd hand Beretta 682 Gold E and there a nice looking one at Avalon, which is why I asked the question - just to complicate the matter, I'm a leftie, which obviously reduces the selection somewhat!

Thanks

Clive

just a quickie to give John Forsey a recomendation :yes: , went there saturday and bought a supernova. :/

absolutely fantastic service, even went through whole gun stripdown with me in the shop.

they seemed to have a good selection of guns as well, although i had the kids and went there knowing what i wanted

so didn't really look at a lot else.....................a 5 year old in a gun shop is worse than taking him to a sweet shop. :D

I can see Avalon guns have a decent selection of guns that we could be interested in.

There was a mention of this gunshop in a thread not so long ago, ( worst gunshop in Britain) words on them lines, reckon his counter attitude is something to be desired, wouldn't want you to make a journey & be disappointed at the outcome,

BJ.

Hi,

Welcome to PW.

There's a really good RFD in Folkestone. Chris Orasinki, pm for his number.

I'm a left hander as well. He recast the stock on mine to suit for £35.

He always has a good selection.

Good luck,

Pete

Edited by Zapp Brannigan
Dont post peoples contact details on the forum

:D having bought quite a bit of gear from Avalon Guns in the past-have always found their service top class!,if you fancy a gun off them then speak to the main man there,he can send the gun to you,he has a system in place to do that.ask him for details of what gun you fancy and what is the best price,worth a phone call.hope that helps some :yes:

Eight months ago I purchased my shotgun from Avalon guns. I wouldn't walk through their door again; or waste a brass farthing there again.

The manager is what I would describe as a big fish in a small pond. Arrogant & V self opinionate and lacking in intra personal skills. He feabily attributed his lack of attention to "multi-tasking", yet the shop was almost empty. I was left to my own devices with a rack of unchained guns (which in one way was a very acceptable approach, but no thought to whether I had a pocketfull of cartridges!!!) Sadly there was no attempt to discuss budgets or relative merits of alternative choice, the use for the gun, whether I was looking for game or trap; barrell lengths etc etc No attempt to discuss fitting the gun or retro fitting an auto safety, (I went to Nigel Teague - excellant chap & service). I bought a brand new gun (over £1000) because inernet searches had suggested the price was right: cheaper than quite a few other suppliers within reach of my home. But, given my experience I would rather pay a tad more for polite, courteous service and customer appreciation.

You have to speak as you find. Others may sing their praises to the heavens. But it was not for me - ever again. And I am looking for a second gun but I won't be driving from Bristol to Street to get it.

Edited by Bobba

I`v been one of Avalons best customers for the last 25 years but if you go there to buy second hand you must know what you are doing or your going to get ripped off. (FACT) :/

I know them all very well so they won`t even try or they know the sh.. will hit the fan. :D

I have sent them a lot of business over the years and get treated right, but thats me.

They do like to sell right handers to lefties. I`v ######### them before over it a few times so beware. :yes:

Buying a new gun is best, they will treat you right then and they will undercut anyone . :lol:

I can go with you if you like. Just P.M me and we can sort it out as I live only eight miles from Avalon.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan
Swearing

I made one of the comments that Joe was talking about.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't bother to go through their door again.

I live in North Wales and only went in there because my family live that way.

There are MUCH better shops around that are worth the travel.

To me buying a gun is a total and complete treat and a day out, I wouldn't think twice about travelling 3 hours or more.

Have a look local then ring around for the best bit of kit(cheap isn't alway best). My local shooting ground and shop is Orston notts

the owners are both lefthanded, try any second hand gun for free,good prices not to mention first class catering and a licensed bar,an excellent day out.

Guns cost a lot of money,don't limit your self to your doorstep.

Robbly

I've had a few guns from Avalon and they have always been good to me. I have only dealt with Clive though.

By the way, I heard Clive left and is working elsewhere? Also heard Avalon is up for sale? :yes:

clive now works at the sportsman exeter,spoke two him the other week when i got some carts.he is a nice chap. i bought 2 guns from avalon guns and none of them worked, not been back since.

There was a mention of this gunshop in a thread not so long ago, ( worst gunshop in Britain) words on them lines, reckon his counter attitude is something to be desired, wouldn't want you to make a journey & be disappointed at the outcome,

BJ.

Listen to this man :yes:

Personal experience shows that Avalon are the pits!

Edited by Browning

Hi Folks,

New to this board and shooting in general. Should be in possession of my (and wife's) SGC's very soon - FEO visit the other morning all went OK. So will hopefully be in a position to go 'shopping' for his and hers guns very soon!

While we will look locally to start with, I can see Avalon guns have a decent selection of guns that we could be interested in. However, they are a long way away! So I'd like opinions on whether they are worth a long distance visit and will they discount the prices shown on their website - particularly if we were looking at buying two guns?

Thanks

Clive

I think they are worth the trip, i'm based in wiltshire and have bought a couple of guns from them - mainly because i'm left handed, and they have a very good selection of lh guns. The shop front looks quite small, but inside is well laid out with plenty of guns/rifles etc.

They are a good bunch to deal with and make you feel welcome. Give them a call, if you like what you hear, go see them, have a chat and a coffee before you buy your gun. :yes:

personally I wouldn't buy from country ways in west malling again,they are arrogant,the owners son is a kn*b,all they do is boast about how much money they make,and don't offer real advice,well they don't offer any advice,Just my view,but a lot of Newbie guns feel the same way,there methods are Jurasic,although their guns are some of the keenest prices.I use KWG and Chris Orasinski as mentioned by Poorpete,both shops very helpful,,Chris O is a small concern but he knows his stuff,very helpful and not to expensive.chris potters is a good shop too.

personally I wouldn't buy from country ways in west malling again,they are arrogant,the owners son is a kn*b,all they do is boast about how much money they make,and don't offer real advice,well they don't offer any advice,Just my view,but a lot of Newbie guns feel the same way,there methods are Jurasic,although their guns are some of the keenest prices.I use KWG and Chris Orasinski as mentioned by Poorpete,both shops very helpful,,Chris O is a small concern but he knows his stuff,very helpful and not to expensive.chris potters is a good shop too.

Agree about the owners of country way !!!

They are all full of ****. So long as you know what you want then you are ok.

Chris o is a nice chap. Give him a call. As for kwg in ashford theyve yet to sell me a gun. Prices are not too keen

Agree about the owners of country way !!!

They are all full of ****. So long as you know what you want then you are ok.

Chris o is a nice chap. Give him a call. As for kwg in ashford theyve yet to sell me a gun. Prices are not too keen

Another vote to avoid the tw*ts at CountryWay. They are a horrible shop to deal with in the gun room and will rip you off without even blinking. Allegedly they also do not look after their stock and have no qualms in selling on a gun that they've dropped on the floor. (I repeat...Allegedly)

Don't let the gun room blokes put you off there for purchasing clothing or cartridges from there though. Different departments and different staff.

Chris Potter is an excellent shop. I have bought all three of my guns from them and the service is second to none. Try and speak to a guy called Steve who wears glasses. There is another Steve who is South African and has a beard. Nice bloke and very helpful but much harder work to haggle with! Ask for their 'best price' on any gun and they'll be dropping hundreds of pounds of their sticker price immediately so don't pay much attention to the labels on the guns.

I visited Avalon a couple of weeks ago (I too live in Kent and was heading to Cornwall so stopped off), and it is a nice shop but I wouldn't say its worth a trip just to go there. They do sell guns by mail order if its really the one you want, but Potters will do their best to price match anyone else so definitely give them a go.

Best of luck!

I once bought a rifle from Avalon, but after being shafted by their recommended gunsmith I would never bother going there again. As others have said when Clive worked there he gave some cracking service. I have bought a rifle from Chris Potter in Kent and it is well worth a visit. Though the parking is abysmal,and if you want to visit the furthest reaches of East Kent there is Greenfields in Canterbury and Wilson & Wilson in Ramsgate. However his shotgun selection is a bit restricted.