Fox Attack

garyb

I was just starting to settle down for this evening, when my phone rang, one of my land owners had lost 10 of her chickens over the last 12 hours :good:

I've just been up there to bait the area with a "chicken kebab" of the slain and will be visiting again tonight with my 223

Here's a few pics (mobile) of the carnage... I hope to add another photo to this thread later tonight :blink:

For those who think foxes are cute, and harmless - I can assure you - they are a menace to anyone who keeps poultry.

099c18d3162bf56d5fa134aedfe73eec.jpg

2a067a407a4cb5fb7c9507c6e52fe133.jpg

412a25e19d800632dfe82d27974a741f.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a weird night!

Having got the keys from the landowner, we talked about what fox activity she'd seen in the recent days. It turns out she had bolted one from her barn in the past week! She described it as a good looking fox with a large white tip to it's tail, white like she'd never seen before!

Anyway - I met up with Nickbeardo from here, and another mate.. and we headed to the farm to try and apprehend the culprit, who would hopefully be tucking into my chicken donner!

We pulled into the farm and lamped the bait... nothing & it had not been touched, ok.... I thought - let's give it a bit of a call and see.

To cut a (very) long story short, after a good 45mins of calling we had seen NOTHING! So decided to cut our losses and head up the road to another farm for a shine... I should mention this farm is (according to google maps) 0.743 Miles away from the Chicken farm.

We pulled out of the farm gate and onto the main road, when I noticed a large object in the middle of the carriageway.... I spun the car round... and sure enough it was a fox, still warm - with blood still leaking from it's head injury! Could this be our fox?:lol:

I should mention that, a field no wider than 30 yards separated the road from where we had been sat calling... I'm still left wondering if this one was coming to the call!!!! ?? before it was hit :rolleyes:

Anyway... we carried on our way (slightly confused)

We hadn't been at farm #2 more than 5 mins before I managed to use the WAM to pull one in from a good 300 yards... squeeze thud! First fox (with the rifle anyway!) of 2010! - This fox... had the white tail the land owner from farm #1 had described!

Now... here's a question.... Would you expect a fox to range nearly a mile in 24 hours?!?? - it's possible I guess!

We did a tour of the rest of the farm and didn't see much, the odd muntjac perhaps..

So we decided to pop back over the road to the chicken coop at farm #1... Where i'm pleased to say. the bait still hadn't been touched.

That has to be the weirdest nights foxing I've ever done! - perhaps I should put in a variation for a Ford Mondeo :rolleyes:

2 foxes, one shot!

I've left the bait, and will check again in the morning.

GB

(Road kill fox, is the bottom one)

d1d83e4b0dcbfddb7f10a66a26f8c981.JPG

It's a pity that these idiots that say we have no right to shoot the nice cute looking friendly foxes will not accept that this is the damage that the fox can do, especially in adverse weather conditions when they get even bolder!

Good report mate!

Edit: Just as an after thought we might have to be even more vigilant in this weather now that the lambing is starting in some areas!

Edited by Frenchieboy

foxe's do a hell of a lot of traveling at night marking terriotories 1 mile range is a mear pinch in the dark for the fox i would say you have your culprit .we baited a area and it took the fox 4-5 days to take the bait as they are not daft they realise something is not right we again have had to move the baiting area to get this fox inline for a safe shot hopefully this week we will bag him if he takes the bait . as he has only 70 yard dash to cover on a brow of a hill secound baiting area is at the base of a man made embankment 100 yrd dash required now :rolleyes:

Is it bolder, or are they driven by hunger, because we have shot all their natural food resources?

what worms grubs and insects ? thats what most of a foxes diet is. he will eat rabbit of course but not often quick enough to catch a full sized rabbit. young rabbits or rabbits with mixy are fair game.

Well... I'm no expert on fox movements.. but 3/4's of a mile aint all that far... :rolleyes:

Anyway...i've already put it down to the local gene pool in my mind... that said, it's still a strange coincidence!

Yes to tonight, call me later.

GB

EDIT

Just had a call from the landowner... The bait still hasn't been touched, and after looking at the foxes I left out for her - she's fairly certain it was the white paintbrush tailed one!

Who knows!!! ??

Edited by garyb

Tell Sue not to bin em, you know why :lol:

SS

:rolleyes:

SS

Don't matter how much curry powder you put in, your not goona get me to eat round yours :lol:

As for ranging Fox's, CP shot the tail of a Fox one night and SS finished it off a few nights later 3/4 mile away. That or there were two tailless Foxs around our way

PELTMAN :rolleyes:

Edited by the pelt man

As for ranging Fox's, CP shot the tail of a Fox one night and SS finished it off a few nights later 3/4 mile away. That or there were two tailless Foxs around our way

It probably thought it was "safe" in SS's back garden... having seen him shoot "at" the rest of them :rolleyes:

what worms grubs and insects ? thats what most of a foxes diet is. he will eat rabbit of course but not often quick enough to catch a full sized rabbit. young rabbits or rabbits with mixy are fair game.

Next time you shoot a Fox jamie g, open up the stomach and see how many worms grubs and insects you can find.