nasty home load?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/80287717.html

guy has lost his left hand, quite upbeat about it seems he is not letting it stop his shooting,it seems it was not a blockage 20g in before 12g etc etc as speculated, but an OLD homeload, guy did this xmas day has had his hand amputated from the wrist and is back at work already, puts those with a fortnight for the sniffles to shame,still makes you think and more reason for me to take care reloading.

KW

is that kev i went up to donkenwood with (the keeper/dog fella) :good:

iv seen similar b4 ..ppl on there are saying its overloading/barrel blockage/gun fatigue ect ect i`ll say now thats a `chop` when the shell is at a 45 deg angel traveling from mag to chamber and the bolt snatches it if (as in this case its a home load) the primmer is a lil proud ignition can occur ...the bolts deformation of the shell will compress and impede the explosion imparting much of the now scaled up blast against the underside of the bolt and the rest up against the roof of the action.

i cant say how heavy a load he was putting through this clearly old browning but id guess substantial

Edited by hookbones

An inproperly home loaded shell which left the wad in the barrel.

Blackpowder

speculation is on a double charge of powder, this vid makes you think on the blockage bit, quite an eye opener?

KW

That's a detonation he had there IMO. Not just an honest 'rogue' homeload! Come on guys, you just can't stuff enough nitro in a hull to do that UNLESS it's a fast-burning powder with a HUGE barrel obstruction, like four ounces of steel rod or a twenty-gauge shell. The explosion didn't even get the shot moving.

For the record, in tests, the Winchester Model 59 12 gauge auto, with a fibre-glass wrapped twenty-thou of an inch steel barrel was loaded with a shell with a 20gauge shell ahead of it. Time after time they never blew.

Edited by Floating Chamber

speculation is on a double charge of powder, this vid makes you think on the blockage bit, quite an eye opener?

KW

To be fair, it pressure of the explosion was able to slam the action backwards, and vents out alot of pressure that way. If you where using a breakable shotgun, that pressure would have nowhere to go but through the barrel or by splitting it.

I agree with Floading Chamber, that was caused by something massive and you can't physically get a double charge into a shotgun cartridge and still crimp it over. Even a stuck wad wouldn't do that, it might cause a ring bulge but thats about it.

The only thing I could imagine would be if the cartridge was loaded with some totally unsuitable fast burning pistiol powder like bullseye.

The source of the accident as floating chamber has already posted is the cartridge not the barrel/choke as the principal source of force is from the chamber area .The gun is a browning A5 that has a extra barrel extension threaded onto the barrel increasing the thickness of the chamber but it seems to have blown through that and sheared the magazine tube off .

The cartridge could have been loaded with all sorts of combinations of components and the fact is you can put a double or even a treble load of powder into a reload it just depends how much you compress the plastic wad as its compression legs/area will push into the case with increased down force on the reloading press allowing there to be the same amount of room for the shot to be dropped into the case and crimped , A fibre wad will not compress to allow you to compess to that extent.

Edited by Andy H

Did anyone see the "mythbusters" program on tv a few weeks back ?

They tried the bugs bunny finger in the barrel myth.The one where bugs sticks his finger in the barrel and elma fudd gets the shot back at him.

They used a manakin finger....result,blew the manakins hand and part of its arm off.

They then used a ballistic gel finger to plug barrel...result,blew the finger and hand to pieces.

They then upped the anti and screwed the barrel into the ground plugging it with 6 inches of soil...result,the soil shot out of the end of the barrel :oops:

They then used a squib round(a load that hadnt exited the barrel)and fired another round through it..result,a tiny bulge in the end of the barrel.

They then went extreme...and placed a 4 inch steel rod in the end of the barrel AND welded it in place.....result,the rod still exited the barrel and the barel split at the very end :welcomeani:

They could not get a result where the shooter was harmed in any way using a standard loaded cartridge in a modern shotgun.

Not that it makes a difference, but I believe that gun is a not an Auto 5, but a Remington Model 11 Sportsman, built on the Browning patent during a time that John Browning was not happy with the Belgians.

Still it seems as if it would take something special to do that. I have to say that there are still alot of guys out there stuffing 3" loads into 2 3/4" guns, and shooting steel out of older full choke guns, so there could be other issues.

Pete

I remember a bloke at my clay club in scotland years ago had an O/U disintegrate in his hands. The action literally fragmented. When he looked at the rest of the home loads in his bag it turned out they had a double charge of red dot. I was told at the time that this was a fairly fast burning powder. Dont know if thats true however. Luckily he only had minor cuts, bruises and burns and a few bits of metal in his arm.

I remember a bloke at my clay club in scotland years ago had an O/U disintegrate in his hands. The action literally fragmented. When he looked at the rest of the home loads in his bag it turned out they had a double charge of red dot. I was told at the time that this was a fairly fast burning powder. Dont know if thats true however. Luckily he only had minor cuts, bruises and burns and a few bits of metal in his arm.

isn't that a centre fire powder?? :unsure: