.22lr

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been covered many times but I am just wandering what the advantages of each bullet is. Obviously with Subsonic it is a lot quieter but in which situation would you use High Velocity? is it more effective for close range foxes or for rabbits around the 100yard mark? Do any of you guys use both; i.e. a magazine with subsonic and a magazine with high vel depending on the situation? Also does it not affect the accuracy to use both bullets?

When you take away the subsonic aspect of a .22lr it is the most pointless cartridge/rifle ever. May as well use an HMR, its a much better round if your going to make some sound.

Only reason you would use them is to take out foxes more reliably. Again its not really what the .22lr is about though.

Run subs through it and get a friend to hold your centerfire. Simples.

subsonic seem to be more accurate as there is less shock waves and less turbulence with the bullet. that's why eley tenex are about 1080 fps just below the speed of sound.another thing is if you use subs and high velocity they don't mix as there coating are different and will upset the accuracy,the barrel need to be cleaned if changing to a different make of bullets.the worst high velocity round I found was cci stingers using a 32gr head doing 1640 fps, I use the winchester subs and shot a lot of foxes with them, i hollow them out a little bit more making them even more deadly the longest shot being a crow at 180 yards stone dead.

I usually have a mag of 10 Subsonics on the rifle and a 5 shot mag in my pocket with HV Rounds. Just incase I want it to hit with a bit more punch. The point of aim is slightly differant but if you zero it in with the subsonics then fire some HV stuff after but do not change your point of aim you will know for example they are 1'' higher at 40 Yards. Just take this into account when switching mags and taking aim.

I dont find much differance in the accuracy on my CZ between the two. Lovely crack from the HV ammo but as said its more like a HMR. Not always ideal when trying to remain quiet

I usually have a mag of 10 Subsonics on the rifle and a 5 shot mag in my pocket with HV Rounds. Just incase I want it to hit with a bit more punch. The point of aim is slightly differant but if you zero it in with the subsonics then fire some HV stuff after but do not change your point of aim you will know for example they are 1'' higher at 40 Yards. Just take this into account when switching mags and taking aim.

I dont find much differance in the accuracy on my CZ between the two. Lovely crack from the HV ammo but as said its more like a HMR. Not always ideal when trying to remain quiet

It is a CZ I am getting when my FAC comes back. Just out of interest which Subs & HV do you use?

My .22lr never sees HV these days, I just use it for subs and HMR/WMR/Centrefires if I want more grunt.

I am fortunate that I have a number of rifles and therefore choice.

The .22lr performs best with subs but HV can be useful sometimes!

I still use Magtech subs zeroed to 60 yards (4inch drop to 100yards). When I used HV it was mainly CCI Velocitors, this gave a 95 yard zero when Magtech were 60 yards. No windage issues at all, just elevation! So pretty easy to change in the field!!

However, I could still get better groups at 100 yards with the subs, never found a HV .22lr that could group, even at distance, as well as a sub!

Get a 40g Sub with a big HP, something like Winchester or Magtech, they peel back like a mushroom, punch a big hole and commonly impart all their energy (they stay in).

High velocity HP's commonly do not open out that well, so a smaller hole, and can easily go through a fox at 100 yards so they do not impart all their energy, and they are not as accurate anyway!

I have found subs very good for rabbits out to about 80yds with excellent groups, I have found CCI stingers to be extremely inaccurate and as said, why use them, might as well get a HMR if you do then.

Also the idea of quickly changing your turrets will not work because it will tka ea couple of shots to foul in the barrel with that ammunition :rolleyes:

I have shot a fox before with my .22LR at around 50yds before in the chest, just behind the shoulder, he dropped and I tohught he was dead. But crawled under a bush after I got there with my lamp (shot taken with NV), I had to shoot him again in the head to finish him :) .

I have also dropped another fox but this time in the head with my .22, just at about 50yds, I dont really use the .22LR for foxes as I find a centerfire much nicer :good:

The silence of a .22LR is great, and most people apply with covert bunny shooting in mind, so to really switch to supersonics, you might as well got a HMR.

Steve

the first ammo i found that the gun liked was remington yellow jackets, 33 grain bullet running at a muzzle velocity of 1500 fps. never had a problem with them, but found they started losing accuracy over 80 yards, so changed to remington target, 40 grain bullet running at 1150 fps, not a subsonic, and doesnt have as good a trajectory as the yellow jackets, but the groups stay tighter over longer range :rolleyes:

Same here, with a zero at 60 for Winnie Subs, CCI stingers are zeroing at about 95 yards for me so easy enough to switch about and adjust aim. As said above my groups aren't as tight at 100 yards but to be honest that's probably just me :good:

All rifles prefer some rounds and hate others. The HVs are more likely to show up these preferences but its not possible to predict which will work or not work in any given rifle without actually trying them.

There is a line of thought that says you should not mix lead and copper bullets and HVs tend to be more often copper coated.

• 1 month later...
All rifles prefer some rounds and hate others. The HVs are more likely to show up these preferences but its not possible to predict which will work or not work in any given rifle without actually trying them.

There is a line of thought that says you should not mix lead and copper bullets and HVs tend to be more often copper coated.

I too stick mainly to Eley subs for rabbits. I keep a few T22s for longer range and normally when I am about to stop so the noise doesn't matter. Just allow for a different zero point. There is a mention on Rimfire Central of Fiocchi 0.22lr HV that give good groups with CZ452 but can't seem to find them to try in the UK

I think a lot of members have already pointed out on this thread that when an object, in this case a .22 bullet, goes supersonic, huge aerodynamic forces are placed upon the projectile causing inaccuracies because the surface area cannot cope with the extremes.

As previously posted: Eley Tennex is one of the most accurate rounds anyone can buy for target shooting, yet are just subsonic. That should tell us something :yes:

No peek-at you're not :angry:

I don't know whether the graphs are produced by scientists who sit and work out how much gravity affects the path of a projectile, given the external factor etc..... etc................... :wacko: yawn!

But in the outside world I have never bothered studying PBR graphs before shooting rabbits. I zero'd my rifle to 25m and before changing to the .17HMR could shoot a bunny at 25, 50, and around 75m without any elevation. At 100m I would have to lift the crosshairs to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches up his ears to perform the brain surgery ;)

8 Inches above to cancel out the drop ??? Never in a million years :lol: