Anyone fly R/C Planes?

triscrx

Do please get to a club or someone with experience.

Although every boy dreams of flying a Spitfire, they are not easy to fly so, I guarantee it will end in tears. Get some time in

on a club trainer first and, as has been said, some practice on a sim.

Because of the plan form of a spitfire wing it means that they tip-stall very easily at low speed and I've heard it so many times from Spitfire flyers.

"It was coming in to land just fine when it suddenly rolled and hit the ground"!!

A club trainer is usually quite stable and a lot of clubs use a buddy-box so you can fly it but when you lose control, as you will, the experienced pilot can recover it.

Having said that, enjoy yourself. The amount and quality of ready made kits these days is quite astonishing. <_<

Do please get to a club or someone with experience.

Although every boy dreams of flying a Spitfire, they are not easy to fly so, I guarantee it will end in tears. Get some time in

on a club trainer first and, as has been said, some practice on a sim.

Because of the plan form of a spitfire wing it means that they tip-stall very easily at low speed and I've heard it so many times from Spitfire flyers.

"It was coming in to land just fine when it suddenly rolled and hit the ground"!!

A club trainer is usually quite stable and a lot of clubs use a buddy-box so you can fly it but when you lose control, as you will, the experienced pilot can recover it.

Having said that, enjoy yourself. The amount and quality of ready made kits these days is quite astonishing. <_<

The Spitfire is actually one of the more forgiving "Tip stallers" If you try and land any plane slowly they will start to show signs of tip stalling unless it is a trainer or 3D type model.

The Sukhoi is probably the worst plane I ever flew along with a Mustang. They can tip stall at 80MPH.

The buddy box is the way to go as the experienced pilot will see trouble happening well before you do and will put in little corrections now and agin without you knowing.

To be perfectly honest simulators do not help when flying planes, the field of view is not good enough. I only ever use one for a heli and even then only for hovering etc.

The moment you fly off they are all fairly hopeless.

Get yourself to a club and have a go, there will always be someone there to help.

To be perfectly honest simulators do not help when flying planes, the field of view is not good enough. I only ever use one for a heli and even then only for hovering etc.

The moment you fly off they are all fairly hopeless.

Get yourself to a club and have a go, there will always be someone there to help.

I agree with that generally. However, I have seen several people helped by a sim program when using it for orientation practice when the 'plane is flying towards the pilot.

Just like shooting though, there's no substitute for actually flying.

Flown rc for many many years have a fleet of about 30 planes and one heli!! spitfire is NOT a good choice to start with it will stall it wont track well, it will take a lot of handling should you get it in the air long enough to control it? there a loads of good ready built trainer packages about these days and loads of clubs were you will be taught for free, do it and get hooked then move onto something you would never have dreamed of flying.

here is a look at FEW of mine I have quite a selection from aerobatic planes with zenoah 62cc about as big as I will go for transport reasons to electric (my lanc beautiful) to my true love scale bipes anyway enjoy the models.

cheers KW

P1040337.jpg

P1000373-1.jpg

Dsc_0009.jpg

P6190027.jpg

P1000389.jpg

Been flying them for the best part of 23 years now <_< Mostly fly quarter scale gliders and tug planes these days, with a couple of ducted fan greasers thrown in for good measure.

Best not to start with a Spit though - get your eye in on a simulator, then a trainer before you attempt the Spit - you'll only cry when it goes in and gets re-kitted :good:

As always, BMFA insurance is a must.

I recon they are mint! however Starlight and I where out a few years back and some bloke turned up and ran one up the field he had his deeks on, loop the loop and all that.... he never had permission to fly there but had rented a cottage off the land owner and assumed he had some kind of air space with it <_<

Starlight put him right :good:

Edited by pavman

I recon they are mint! however Starlight and I where out a few years back and some bloke turned up and ran one up the field he had his deeks on, loop the loop and all that.... he never had permission to fly there but had rented a cottage off the land owner and assumed he had some kind of air space with it <_<

Starlight put him right :yes:

32g of 6s?? :good:

What a lovely Stampe Kdubya. I had the priviledge of owning one, F-BCLI for a few years, and have 300 hours or so on type. Great aircraft for light aerobatics on a sunny afternoon. You never really own these aircraft, you just look after them and pass them on. I reckon that for very hour in the air you spend two hours on maintenance, sadly they are diminishing in numbers every year. Into nostalgia mode....

There are some lovely bits of kit there KW

Whats most fun building them or flying them?

well I have 3 on the blocks now so i would say 50/50

a 1/4 scale roscoe turner special (should take some handling) a nijhuis b17 and a 30% glens cap will take a photo of that later

I intend to cover that this weekend.

cheers KW

P1040854.jpg

P1040408.jpg

i fly planes and helicopters , i would join a club if i were in your shoes again as i taught myself to fly helicopters and it cost me more in repairs then the helicopter its self 10 times over . and some of the lessons only lasted minutes ...

I have also built a few planes and also rockets