Which Charity ?

ME

EDIT : The poll and many of the posts suggested that GREAT ORMOND STREET was well supported. We have gone with that this year, thanks to all that voted :good:

I might be organising a small charity clay shooting event.

I would be interested to hear YOUR suggestions for well known causes charities.

What about a male cancer charity ? I have sat next to the guy that is behind - ORCHID CANCER a truly inspirational guy.

Above in the poll are some general ideas but let me know what you suggest - thanks chaps :good:

Edited by ME

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for young people, (it covers kids), locally the youth camp provides a great outlet for kids or all types , from all over the UK and further afield on internatinal camping weeks, but people on the island themselves, who try to run things for the local kids to do in the evenings, struggle, so the club I belong to, are looking for charitable causes (doesn't necessary have to be a registered charity) to support , like the local drama groups, judo club, cubs/scouts etc. RNLI and Air Ambulance have a lot of support already so we donate only every other year or so unless a special need is identified.

over the years we given to most on the list above and more.

M.

I would urge you all to study the charity's accounts before donating anything to them. There are 160,000 charities and many of them are purely there for their own benefit. Just for the record, the CEO of OXFAM earns in excess of £160k per annum and there are dozens of others in this field who earn more than £100k.

Of the list posted I would only give to the RNLI purely because I have looked into this and found no excess administration costs or excessive salaries. That said, I still feel that the safety of mariners should be a Government responsibility rather than left to well meaning volunteers.

Same can be said for the Guide Dogs. Cancer charities, etc.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/