The Cod season is here.

rushy lad

No I mainly shore fish but I also fish for Cod over rough ground from my Boat, I use rubber shads just off the bottom, moving with the tide. They work really well and have had some decent fish using this method in the past. I enjoy shore fishing though and have some cracking sport over the winter period with Cod and coalfish, Whiting and Flounders being the main species caught. I feed some of the flatfish to my ferrets and they look well off them. Going pumping black lug tonight so I can freeze them for the next few months. :lol:

Rushy.

rushy lad, you have a longer and more productive season, than we do in the South.

We no longer call them cod, what we usually catch, just about qualify as codling.

There should be a few from the beaches on the November night tides, but "fings ain't wot they use to be". :lol:

HV, a 3lb TC rod means that its optimum casting weight is 3 oz.

Fine for lure fishing, but not suitable for throwing 5-6oz weights towards the horizon.

Basic beach rods (for casual users) are so cheap now, its not worth ruining a good freshwater rod.

Look on the online sea tackle sites for a bargain. :lol:

Yes I agree, The freshwater rod would be ok for light estuary work, maybe for flatfish etc. But too lightweight for general beach casting. Most of the mags advertise beach fishing outfits for as little as £40-£50 for the lot, Worth it if you fish evey now and then.

Yes the Cod are not around in the same size or numbers as they used to be but what do we expect? when they are hoovered up by trawlers and the one man netting brigade :lol: I still have had some pretty good fish off the beach, 10-11 pounders with 5-6 pounders regular catches in some spots, But a lot of codling 2-3 pound range.

Rushy.

Hoping to get a go from the beach in a few days as rumour has it cod and whiting are showing.

I expect bait robbing crabs to be around untill the first frosts so squid might be a better option than lug or rag at the moment.(and cheeper)

Rushy have you tried salting your worms as opposed to freezing ?

Regards sutty :thumbs:

using a carp rod for sea fishing isnt the best idea the rod may be able to cast a 3oz weight but the finish on a carp rod wont last if it comes into sea water,the rings will probably be of a different material to sea rods and the salt will have an adverse effect on it

• 2 weeks later...

A few whiting showing on the Suffolk beaches. Odd codling. It's too warm (20C at Yarmouth of Saturday 15/10). Here's a picture from Yarmouth north beach - doesn't look too coddy to me! More like the mediterranean without the birds on the beach. Hopefully the bigger tides this week will help. We could do with a strong onshore blow.

Caister%20001.jpg

Went out last night and fished the flooding tide, Caught three fish, all codling, all on blacks..Wind still easterley up here so really suprised me to do so well. Biggest was around the three pound mark. They are predicting a good year for the cod, so I will wait and see, B)

Rushy.

I used to go beach fishing back in the 80's to Dungeness in Kent and fish all night next to the Nuclear power station - I had some good bags but it was very patchy, best was 3 Cod, 9lb, 12lb & 18lb, all caught in a 1/2 hour burst of activity - my mate was gutted - he wandered off to the tackle shop, when he got back, the shoal had moved through, we didn't have another fish all night..!!

My Missus thinks it is a bit steep! £850 for seven days but that includes flights, transport to destination, log cabin, Boat hire, Boat comes with the lot, Fish finder, Gps etc. You bring your own gear though. They have said you throw 20 pounders back all the time with 30-40 pounders being the norm. I will have to wait and see, We need 8 people for the trip and up to now have 6 responded to it. I can,t wait.

Rushy. B)

I used to go beach fishing back in the 80's to Dungeness in Kent and fish all night next to the Nuclear power station - I had some good bags but it was very patchy, best was 3 Cod, 9lb, 12lb & 18lb, all caught in a 1/2 hour burst of activity - my mate was gutted - he wandered off to the tackle shop, when he got back, the shoal had moved through, we didn't have another fish all night..!!

Double H , Did that nuclear reactor have any thing to do with the size of your ears? B) :lol: