AT's or Muds

darren m

what you got fitted to your 4x4

looking for a good AT tyre that will perform off road

OR

a mud tyre that will perform well on road

( no BFG's just too pricey )

cheers

what you are after doesn't really exist, but I have got a set of BFG trac edge fitted which do seem reasonable both on and off road, Insa do seem to have copied the pattern as you can't get it any more. Unfortunately you get what you pay for and I wouldn't bung remoulds on a decent motor as my experience of them were very hard to balance, softer than the BFG's which gave worse fuel economy and they don't last as long.

are they noisy Zapp? A few people round me seem to be using them now because they are a lot cheaper than BFG's like you as a driver I tend to err on the side of caution but do need a tyre thats reasonable on road and they keep coming up as a suggestion

mine are ok both on/off road - as a rule I run on A/T but have a set of M/T for limited off use as I find them too noisy and I simply don't trust them cornering.

I have had A/T2 on both a ranger and a L200 and wil buy them again :oops:

But if you only want one set of wheels buy a set of snow chains, they are really good in the mud.

Yet another vote for General Grabber AT2's.

Had a set on my old Navara (35k miles on them and still plenty of tread when I sold it!!) and loved them so much I put a full set on my new Hilux,which was like a three legged cow on ice offroad and on in the wet with the Dunlops it came with :rolleyes: ,now pulls like a gud un when things get sticky.

Only slight problem is she has dropped a couple of mpg but they are a size up from standard :rolleyes:

They are a big saving on Goodrich's too,put my four on for just over £300 fitted.......

Nev.

what you are after doesn't really exist, but I have got a set of BFG trac edge fitted which do seem reasonable both on and off road, Insa do seem to have copied the pattern as you can't get it any more. Unfortunately you get what you pay for and I wouldn't bung remoulds on a decent motor as my experience of them were very hard to balance, softer than the BFG's which gave worse fuel economy and they don't last as long.

Is that insa's you are talking about Alex ?

I have found they last longer than non remoulds :rolleyes:

The last set of insa turbo tyres i had on lasted 55,000 mile which was about 15,000 longer than the pirellis they replaced.

I am having trouble finding anywhere that has my size in stock (31x10.5x15) and nearly every place on the web that says they have them in turns out to be telling porkies after a quic phone call to confirm they have them.

are they noisy Zapp? A few people round me seem to be using them now because they are a lot cheaper than BFG's like you as a driver I tend to err on the side of caution but do need a tyre thats reasonable on road and they keep coming up as a suggestion

No, they are pretty quiet. I couldnt be happier with them, they are hard wearing too :rolleyes:

ZB

I am putting a pair of these on my terrano tomorrow just to see if they will help in the mud, I don't know whether to have them on the front of the back :rolleyes: Limited slip diff or weight of the engine for traction?

They are Nexen MT and were £65+vat and not I believe remoulds

post-650-1266862809.jpg

The problem is I am trying for a commuter/shooting waggon although I don't go in extreme places when its really wet I am sliding everywhere on farm tracks, they look less aggressive than my old greenway macho tyres which were very noisy on road but excellent in the brown stuff.

If they are bad on road I will try and get a spare set of rims and just swap when I am shooting :rolleyes:

Edited by bennyblanco

Is that insa's you are talking about Alex ?

I have found they last longer than non remoulds :good:

The last set of insa turbo tyres i had on lasted 55,000 mile which was about 15,000 longer than the pirellis they replaced.

I am having trouble finding anywhere that has my size in stock (31x10.5x15) and nearly every place on the web that says they have them in turns out to be telling porkies after a quic phone call to confirm they have them.

I was meaning vs the BFG's

your size has a very close equivalent I think its 255 / 75 / 15 anyone with a fourtrak Independant should be able to check for you as its their standard size but so close I fitted the 31x10.5 x 15's which seemed easy to get hold of then but was a few years ago. have you tried Camskill they are usually pretty good

kumho KL71 are the way forward, there cheap, about £65 a tyre on 33's (thats cheap)..they are mint off-road, theyve got directional treads so they perform well on the road, in wet etc and there not too noisy on the road too unlike other muds..a lot of people are using these and for good reason

oh and there not remoulds!! :good::good:

Edited by tango