How many guns can you store in a safe?

Cosd

I just got a phone call from an uncle who has retired from shooting. A family friends widow called my uncle and basically when her husband died he had 3 shotguns. She had a license to keep the guns for 5 years which has just expired. Because of some medication she is on, her FAO has advised her that she can't renew the licence because of the tablets she is taking.

He advised her that if she could give the guns to another shotgun certificate holder to store, she could attempt applying again in 6 months time.

Because my uncle has given his gun and safe to me, he called and asked if I would look after the guns, possibly short term, it may well end up that I keep the guns. The guns are 2 o/u and 1 semi auto (3 shot).

The question I'm asking is, my cabinet is a 3 gun cabinet in which I own 2 guns already; If I can squeeze the guns in, will the law allow this or will they insist on another cabinet? Obviously if I knew I'd be keeping the guns I would invest in another cabinet, but since I don't know what is going to happen I don't really want to buy one.

Edited by Cosd

I am in the same situation. 6 gun cabinet 1 space and brother in law leaving country and leaving 3 shotguns behind. Did I want them? I rang North Yorkshire Police and they said it's fine having more than the stated cabinet capacity and that 8 guns in a 6 gun cabinet was fine.

Give the police a ring 1st.

Spoke to my FAO this morning (top guy), it turns out I don't even know what I've got :yp:, my cabinet is a breakdown cabinet and I thought it was a three gun cabinet as I've stored three guns in there with ease; But the FAO advised that it is a 2 gun cabinet so exceeding it's capacity by over double wasn't a good idea.

Not an issue, The lady I am taking the guns from said I could have the safe as well! She said the only reason she has held onto the guns is because her sons keep saying that they will start shooting one day, but they have never shown an interest even when their dad was going, they refused to go. She thinks they just wanted to keep the guns because they belonged to their dad which is understandable.

So I should be going tonight to pick up the guns and safe. I'll keep you posted with what type of guns they are.

Nowhere does it say how many guns can be in a cabinet. The FEO will make an assessment on a number when he checks your cabinet on initial issue so that if your gun count goes over this, he will come and have a look to make sure that you are not stuffing them under the bed.

Nowhere does it say that the cabinet must be of a certain type, so you can make your own out of wood or metal, call it a secure storage cabinet (which is the requirement) and make your own mind up as to how many guns you can squeeze into it. As long as your FEO is convinced it is secure enough - no problem. A "Police Approved Cabinet" just makes life easier for them.

Cos, to me it sounds like it could be ongoing agro for you, really it sounds like the guns need to be sold. If they have so far had 5 years without use it looks like they will continue that way with no decision being made if they are safely held and out of the owners way. You'll end up with two cabinets to move if you move house more guns to keep clean / stop from rusting and I'm guessing you won't want to use them given the circumstances. I'd be making sure she knows its temporary otherwise you could have years of holding someone elses guns ahead. After all if she is that keen to keep them holding them with an RFD would be an option but would cost her which might focus the mind about keeping them

Cos, to me it sounds like it could be ongoing agro for you, really it sounds like the guns need to be sold. If they have so far had 5 years without use it looks like they will continue that way with no decision being made if they are safely held and out of the owners way. You'll end up with two cabinets to move if you move house more guns to keep clean / stop from rusting and I'm guessing you won't want to use them given the circumstances. I'd be making sure she knows its temporary otherwise you could have years of holding someone elses guns ahead. After all if she is that keen to keep them holding them with an RFD would be an option but would cost her which might focus the mind about keeping them

She's actually said that I should use the guns, not just store them. The way I look at it, I'd help her out anyway, I have plenty of space so they aren't in the way; If she takes them back it isn't an issue, if she wants me to sell them for her again no problem, and if she just lets me keep them then I've had a touch.

But I hear what you're saying. If it does get to a point I want them out, then she'll have to make up her mind; My uncle is really close to her and his opinion is she'll just wait till her boys forget about them and she'll then say "keep them". He doesn't think she's bothered about their value, and she would have been quite happy if my uncle had kept them.

She's actually said that I should use the guns, not just store them. The way I look at it, I'd help her out anyway, I have plenty of space so they aren't in the way; If she takes them back it isn't an issue, if she wants me to sell them for her again no problem, and if she just lets me keep them then I've had a touch.

Whatever happens you have to transfer them to your own certificate anyway, I think 5 days is the max that you can hold someone elses gun before you write it on your cert.

My FEO said that the computer at the station would start blowing smoke when I registered a 6th gun as I had a 5 gun cabinet, but he didn't say I couldn't have more than 5 without a new cabinet. I have had 3 scoped rifles and 3 shotguns in there and could possibly have squeezed in another, but it was a tight fit.

OK, went and collected the safe and guns, its a 6 gun safe now bolted to the wall under the stairs and I'm not sure of the models, but I have aquired a Rizzini o/u 30" barrels, a Bettinsoli o/u with 28" barrels and a Benelli 3 shot semi auto.

Will call the FAO tomorrow to advise.....

Nowhere does it say how many guns can be in a cabinet. The FEO will make an assessment on a number when he checks your cabinet on initial issue so that if your gun count goes over this, he will come and have a look to make sure that you are not stuffing them under the bed.

Nowhere does it say that the cabinet must be of a certain type, so you can make your own out of wood or metal, call it a secure storage cabinet (which is the requirement) and make your own mind up as to how many guns you can squeeze into it. As long as your FEO is convinced it is secure enough - no problem. A "Police Approved Cabinet" just makes life easier for them.

A wooden gun cabinet surely not?:blush:??