Dispelling a myth about shooting into the air!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not disputing that it was a stupid question and that the op was being a *** in his replies. all i meant was one post detailing why its wrong and should not be done is more useful than 1000 replies simply stating "dont do it you idiot" (which pigeonwatch seems best at lately), ESPECIALLY for new shooters :lol:

But he is the one saying that it is OK to fire a rifle up into the air as it won't hurt when the bullet comes down.

"DON'T DO IT YOU IDIOT" seems a perfectly reasonable response.

Of course it is a wind up, the guy is a TROLL.

It is not worthy of a response to be honest but it is saturday night and there is sweet FA on the telly.

im not disputing that it was a stupid question and that the op was being a *** in his replies. all i meant was one post detailing why its wrong and should not be done is more useful than 1000 replies simply stating "dont do it you idiot" (which pigeonwatch seems best at lately), ESPECIALLY for new shooters :lol:

Yeah but where's the fun in that? The occasional burning by an angry mob (of grumpy old men) is very therapeutic you know :no:

800px-simpsons_angry_mob.png

There was a case in britain about 1928 of a boy that was killed by a .22 fired in the air by some men shooting rooks. There was another case in America of a boy sitting in Church this Christmas who was killed by a heavier calibre bullet which came down through the roof and entered his head.

A bullet fired directly up (90 degrees) will come back almost on the same line as it went up and will be falling rather than still being propelled.

The real danger lies in shots fired at an angle of 30-45 degrees to the ground. Shots like shooting at a squirrel or a pigeon on a branch. Thats where the bullet can still be lethal if it hits somebody or more likely breaks a window on a house beyond your permission.

Either way its goodbye FAC.

65mph is the fastest speed something of that weight can travel from gravity and 35mph is the minimum regardless of aerodynamics.

where do you get these figures from? please list your sources. people have been seriosly injured and (ims) killed from coins being thrown from high structures such as the Eifel Tower. I would challenge the assumption that 65mph is the terminal velocity of a bullet acted upon by gravity. TV is determined by mass and friction (air resistance) but also the shape of the object, being more or less aerodynamic, bullets by their very nature tend to be pretty aerodynamic!

10ftlbs (I can't be bothered checking your maths without being supplied the relevant references) if delivered by a package as small as a .22 bullet could easily kill a child, especially if it hit the Fontanelle. In fact sub 12ft/lb can kill as has been reported in the news on a couple of occasions recently.

To be honest the whole subject just got me thinking about exactly how dangerous it is really since no one can usualy explain how a falling bullet is as dangerous as a fired one.

Reading back the comments of some people they seem to have though about the question in hand and come up with some very clever answers which i applaud.

where as others didnt bother to read what i and other people wrote and just went on their mindless rants as per usual.

it was designed as a bit of a wind up to be honest and just like clockwork the grumpy old men came out to tell people they know best without actually backing up anything they said.

Selective reading is a common feature that i notice where as they read one sentence but not the others and then base what they say on part of what i wrote. - The bit about me using a 22lr to roost shoot before i owned a shotgun was a classic. i actually owned a shotgun way before any firearm, and i personally used a 177 pellet gun to shoot pigeons with before that.

Personally im still not convinced that a 22lr 40 grain bullet falling is much more dangerous than a penny dropped off a building. but i wanted to see what other people thought and why.

thanks for the people who bothered to add a well thought out opinion.

Edited by pandamonia

You may think so.

but since you have nearly 7000 posts in 2.5 years it seems you spend more time talking about stuff than doing it so im hardly going to take any notice of you.

I don't give a flying **** what you take notice of. Your opinion on any subject is totally worthless.

Now get back to reading up on some more wildly inaccurate "facts".

it was designed as a bit of a wind up to be honest and just like clockwork the grumpy old men came out to tell people they know best without actually backing up anything they said.

Or its what you actually think and thought others would and as they dont you are back tracking and as for the 'grumpy old men' not having facts and figures to back up what they say and you are they one claiming ice is more dense the lead? utter ******** you needs to be able to back up your claims :)

George

Edited by groach1234

with nothing to back that up i take it your just of the opinion that its wrong cus you say it is?

In france there are hardly any rules about shooting most calibres, a friend i know bought a house there and what he didnt realise was that every sunday he lived next to a clay shooting club and got peppered with lead shot and the police said they wouldnt do anything!

yet again this is a british thing isnt it

no thats a french thing :)

Ooer Ozzy, she's nice.... who is she.... or is it, as I suspect, a lingerie model which can only lead me to one conclusion that you spend your free time browsing through ladies underpant catalogues!! :hmm::)

well, mossbergs are heavy, i have to do something to build my muscles up ???:lol::yes:

To be honest the whole subject just got me thinking about exactly how dangerous it is really since no one can usualy explain how a falling bullet is as dangerous as a fired one.

Reading back the comments of some people they seem to have though about the question in hand and come up with some very clever answers which i applaud.

where as others didnt bother to read what i and other people wrote and just went on their mindless rants as per usual.

Selective reading is a common feature that i notice where as they read one sentence but not the others and then base what they say on part of what i wrote. - The bit about me using a 22lr to roost shoot before i owned a shotgun was a classic. i actually owned a shotgun way before any firearm, and i personally used a 177 pellet gun to shoot pigeons with before that.

Personally im still not convinced that a 22lr 40 grain bullet falling is much more dangerous than a penny dropped off a building. but i wanted to see what other people thought and why.

thanks for the people who bothered to add a well thought out opinion.

Straight up, I might agree :lol: . But fired in the air at optimum angle it will still strike the unintended target with a lethal result :yes::):hmm:???

Surely the right answer to this is don't do it, regardless of whether it will or won't, all the data is irrelevant.

But there again, us grumpy old men who's had there FAC's for as long as grumpy old men have had FAC's,

Don't know nowt...do we!!!!!

BJ.

Absolutely! End of!

Ignore all other posts! (From Morons!)