New gun

The Beater

Hello fellow shooters, i found this site while playing about with girl friends computer, so have joined up. Iam looking 2 buy a new gun after selling my Beretta S/A & need opinions on 2 O/U guns Bettinsoli and Lincoln is what my local gun shop is trying 2 sell me, as Iam gettin tried waiting 4 a second hand Browing, Beretta or Miroku 2 turn up rd £600. Are they any good or is the shop after my money cos they'll make more on a new gun.

Hello The Beater,

Welcome to the forum, shotguns are a bit like most things in life, in that you get what you pay for - the more you pay for a decent Beretta, Browning or Miroku, the easier it we be to sell on when you wish to upgrade.

Lincolns & Bettinsoli's are OK as a starter gun, but like most cheapies, can be prone to annoying defects like ejector malfunctions, double discharges, (very painful on the shoulder..!!), and barrel selector problems.

My advice would be to wait a bit longer until you have saved up the extra and get a decent secondhand gun made by the above mentioned.

Double H

Magman,

It ain't a question of how well a gun "shoots", thats entirely down to the bloke pulling the trigger, it's simply that you will generally get fewer problems with a more expensive gun, as they are made from better quality components.

Having said that, granted there is no difference between the "performance" of a Grade 1 Miroku MK38 and a Grade V, merely that the wood is of better quality and the action is more heavily engraved.

I know which I would go for if offered a S/H Lincoln for £500 or a S/H Miroku MK 38 for £850 - no contest.

Double H

I know lots of people who don't have any money - they can still find the dough to buy their fags and scratchcards, and get bladdered 8 nights out of 7..!!

My point is that a better quality gun is worth saving for - don't set your budget too low, because ultimately it's a false economy.

As we all know money can be tight this time of year leading up 2 Xmas so lucky i have £600ish. had suggested 2 my girlfriend i may need 2 spend more but cant repeat her answer with the language she used but lets just say i would become single over night !!! Iam going 2 have a look at a 2nd hand Bettinsoli 2moro 4 £375, if its any good & fits ok i may have it & will still have a few quid left towards the Goose shooting holiday in scotland ive bin promising myself for past 2 years !!

Beater - I give you a little tip - NEVER discuss value of prospective or owned guns with your girlfriend, partner, wife or similar.

A mans gun cabinet is his domain.

Value of contents ONLY to be discussed with like minded shooters.

With a bit of luck, one day you might end up with a pair of Purdey's or Holland Holland's standing in your cabinet, then comes the divorce and NO.. she knows the value and you have to split up the pair :lol::lol::lol:

Doesn't bare thinking about.

WF

Beater - I give you a little tip - NEVER discuss value of prospective or owned guns with your girlfriend, partner, wife or similar.

A mans gun cabinet is his domain.

Value of contents ONLY to be discussed with like minded shooters.

With a bit of luck, one day you might end up with a pair of Purdey's or Holland Holland's standing in your cabinet, then comes the divorce and NO.. she knows the value and you have to split up the pair :lol::lol::lol:

Doesn't bare thinking about.

WF

Very sound advice there WF :lol:

LB

A mate of mine dad has the right idea he's always buying new guns, he's out shooting 3-4 times aweek and takes his gun every day feeding up everyday, so his missis is use 2 seeing him walking in and out with a gun slip, so he just walks out with an empty slip gives her a kiss "see u later love" she thinks he's off game shooting but the old dog comes back with new gun and his dinners is on table waiting 4 him, she none the wiser couple of grands gone out of the bank account 4 a new beretta!!!!!!

A mate of mine dad has the right idea he's always buying new guns, he's out shooting 3-4 times aweek and takes his gun every day feeding up everyday, so his missis is use 2 seeing him walking in and out with a gun slip, so he just walks out with an empty slip gives her a kiss "see u later love" she thinks he's off game shooting but the old dog comes back with new gun and his dinners is on table waiting 4 him, she none the wiser couple of grands gone out of the bank account 4 a new beretta!!!!!!

I like his style.

I have 2 shotguns in my cabinet but my wife only knows about one of them. As it happens she knows I have the Highlander but not the Biakal which only cost £50. Now you might say that she wouldn't mind another gun if it only cost £50 but women don't think like that, give it 5 seconds to think about it and her first reaction would be "well why the **** did you have to spend £800 on the first one if you can buy shotguns for £50"

and I would be in the **** in 10 seconds flat. :thumbs:

Well i went 2 look at bettinsoli this afternoon but it was bit tatty not what i wanted, then a shining light caught my eye and there it was.....Miroku 800 GD3 in silver action. my mouth dropped its a minter. Ive spent a bit more but i dont mind its a lovely lookin gun and fits me well. Out clay shooting 2moro cant wait.