Fear of flying

Cosd

So holiday booking season is upon us, who on here has a fear of flying?

I'll start us off, i used to enjoy flying and think of it as part of my holiday, even looked forward to flying. I remember when i was a kid and things were different, you could ask if you can see the cockpit and you could sit next to the captain whilst he explained what all the buttons did. Obviously those days are gone and security doesn't allow this.

but over the years, and to be fair i think it was the time of 9/11, I developed an enormous fear of flying. As the dates aproached I couldn't think about anything but the flight, and i would get myself in a state. I knew many people with flying fears and could never really understand it, it isn't until it happens to you that you realise what a real feeling of anxiety it brings.

I suffered this for a few years, but have slowly overcome my fear. A book Flying Without Fear really helped and put me on track to recovery. I won't lie and say that I am totally cured as I do think about it as I'm on my way to the airport, and on take off, but once in the air I can relax and I don't hold on for dear life the whole journey!

What say you?

I have flown as part of my job for around 12 years, I started off liking the flights bat was in a near ground experience on a helicopter in 1999 which put a dampner on it, unusually it is planes i find myself more worried on and not helicopters, I think alot of this is down to the fact I am a bit of a control freak! if you let me pilot the aircraft I would be fine and the fact that in a helicopter i can see what the pilots are doing wheras on a plane i feel blind.....

I have been on some dodgy aircraft in places such as africa, middle east, states and I think that doesn't help either...

I now go to the quack and get 5mg tablets of diazepam (highly recommended) and find i have no real problems, i even slept on my last flight to the states which is very unusual for me!

Calm as a hindu cow.... :blink:

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I used to be a travel agent and used to have to do a lot of flying. Some trips involved up to 16 flights in a fortnight and several times a year :good:

I've never liked flying, I used to find it quite boring and I can't stand hanging around airports and queuing incessantly, but it didn't really bother me. However, I noticed that I was getting more and more edgy, especially on the multi-sector itineraries I used to do. I think I had got to thinking that the more of this you do, the more likely it is that your luck was going to run out one day :lol:

I also had a few bad ones. I flew several times with the old Aeroflot, back in the USSR communist days. Not a great safety record and I can see why. Some of those aircraft would have been condemned over here. They used to put relatively new aircraft on international routes, and put the old tubs on internal flights, as there were few foreigners on those flights :good: If a plane came down, it was relatively easy to hush it up if it was "only" Russians on board.

I also got stuck in a very bad thunderstorm on a British Caledonian BAC 1-11 (that's going back a bit). It was so bad, with the aircraft repeatedly flying through thunder and lightning that, at one stage, one of the hostesses ran from the front of the plane to the back, screaming :P

These days, I don't do a lot of flying. When I do, I'm always glad when it's over :blink:

I have travelled regularly on business for the past 20 years and do a long haul to Asia every quarter. I used to be fine but have found that I have got more nervous the older I get. Questioning ones mortality I suppose. I find turbulence in large planes (747, A380) the worst. I just think the plane is fighting the turbulence rather than going with it. I've been on Fokker 50's into London City in a gale force wind (or it seemed like it) just less scary than a 747 in mid air turbulence.

Andrew

it all down to statistics, so I'm now getting worried as I've not had an incident whilst flying for ages, so the next one my be just around the corner.

from someone who used to fly more times than getting a train (mon & fri every week)

M.

Good bottle of red usually fixes it

Actually it does the opposite, it puts you on a para

i then become a drunk paranoid bloke on an airplane.....not a good mix

I use this Remedy liquid which you spray on your tongue to calm you down. It probably does nothing, but it works for my head so I happy with that

I am absolutely terrified of flying, I've tried relaxation techniques, alcohol and even diazepam from my GP.

I spend the flight with sweat dripping off my nose, and a heart rate of what feels like 200bpm, and then it takes me days to recover, then **** myself about flying back and go through the same on the way home, seriously I might aswell go through mock executions.

On a lighter note I flew with my young daughter for the first time last year and I was 1000's of %'s better than normal, not good, but better on a undescribable level.....which is odd...maybe its a dad thing.

I am absolutely terrified of flying, I've tried relaxation techniques, alcohol and even diazepam from my GP.

I spend the flight with sweat dripping off my nose, and a heart rate of what feels like 200bpm, and then it takes me days to recover, then **** myself about flying back and go through the same on the way home, seriously I might aswell go through mock executions.

On a lighter note I flew with my young daughter for the first time last year and I was 1000's of %'s better than normal, not good, but better on a undescribable level.....which is odd...maybe its a dad thing.

Mate, I totally understand what you are describing. I think I still have that book, I'll send it to you and hopefully you send it on after you read it to another needy soul. I read it in one night, and it really did make me feel better. it explains the fears and anxieties as well as how a plane actually flies and stays in the air.

pm me your address if you want to give it a try.....

Edited by Cosd

Mate, I totally understand what you are describing. I think I still have that book, I'll send it to you and hopefully you send it on after you read it to another needy soul. I read it in one night, and it really did make me feel better. it explains the fears and anxieties as well as how a plane actually flies and stays in the air.

pm me your address if you want to give it a try.....

Cosd,

That is a most fantastic thing to offer, if its ok I will take you up on the offer? I'm due on a longish flight (4 or so hours) soon.

PM on route.

Many thanks, what a gent.

Kyska

Love flying me, done some interesting types - Dragon Rapide - Stearman - Dakota, bestest ever a BA747 out of LHR to Fairford International Air Tattoo, with only 120 on board and no luggage and minimum fuel, dun arf leap off the ground. Been thrown around in JetRangers and Twin Squirrels, but did not really like flying in a Robinson R44.

Statistically you stand more chance being 'taken out' driving to the airport rather than be involved in an Aluminum shower or an unscheduled terra firma impact...

ATB

Tony...

Umm, the only flight I ever enjoyed was as a kid when my uncle, who had a PPL, took us flying one afternoon (statistically that was probably the most dangerous flight I have ever been on).

Did plenty of test flights in light aircraft when working as an avionics technician; on one occasion about 2000 feet above London it occurred to me that I was on a maiden test flight in a nigh on completely rebuilt jet ranger and it was Friday the 13th. fortunately I don't worry about that kind of thing.

I was in the light aicraft industry for best part of 10 years and in that time knew a handful of people (not friends just people that would recognise me / know my name) that expired one way or the other.

I once skipped the chance of a flight in a P51 Mustang that I had worked on, which after a bit of showing off by the pilot, landed with the wheels up. If I had been in that I'd probably have sustained serious head / facial injuries as a minimum.

I have never been able to get my head around why anyone wants to fly for pleasure - for me it is strictly a means to an end. The thought of the plane crashing crosses my mind every time I fly (as I'm sure it does for many). Try not to worry about what I can't control though.

All that said, the biggest mash up I've been in was as a passenger in a Opel Ascona as a 15 y/o which accounts for the "mars bar" on my right hand cheek (face).

Got some internal flights in India next week, more concerned about the "odour" on board than anything else - at least until I step aboard.

I am not a keen flyer -- my first was a 10 min trip at air show in de Haviland Rapide - those pre war twin wing jobs - as soon as it took of I went white and sweat soaked my shirt - all I wanted was to be back on ground - mrs's said you all right you look awful - That was late 70's and I swore I would never go up again - Since then the internet arrived and I have a shooting internet mate in Texas so in 2003 I decided to bite the bullet and go see him - Was in 777 and at take off I was white knuckle and sweating but once up it was like a bus - 9hrs wide awake looking at screen in front of me watching the little line get further over pond- I did ask for an isle seat so I couldn't look out but must say I went to back as we went over Alaska and did enjoy the night view-- went again in 2005 and it wasn't so bad -- even the driving over there was easy - If I went again I wouldn't be relaxed - I think it's looking at those bendy wings holding it up and knowing it's only air running over them that does it - the other buttocks clencher was 30 miles from landing and pilot shuts engines down you think carp.

Dave

I'll be totally honest and say flying absolutely terrifies me.

My first flight, when I was in my mid-20s, wasn't a great one. Had to go to the heart of Sweden, so it was a jet from Heathrow to Copenhagen, then two flights over the mountains in a 6-seater prop plane.

I was already as nervous as hell, then when the prop plane took off, hit the wind and started bouncing around as it made its way flying sideways over the mountains I was in a real mess.

I've had six flights since then and have calmed down a little, but all I can think about is one thing from take off to landing - It's going to drop out the air and we're all going to die.

Needless to say, I'm not great company during a flight - very quiet, white knuckling it from start to finish.

Flying bores me senseless and I get restless and (more) irritable.

I too get 5mg tablets of diazepam. The tablets are the equivalent of having half a bottle of wine I guess - just nicely chilled out.

I used to be a travel agent and used to have to do a lot of flying. Some trips involved up to 16 flights in a fortnight and several times a year :blush:

How can I register my company as a travel agent (for the discounts) without Atol/Abta bonding?

As for the rest of you: bunch of stabbers - more dangerous on the train/tube into work in the morning. Try flying round Asia during the typhoon season, that's choppy...

Edited by Flashman

How can I register my company as a travel agent (for the discounts) without Atol/Abta bonding?

As for the rest of you: bunch of stabbers - more dangerous on the train/tube into work in the morning. Try flying round Asia during the typhoon season, that's choppy...

Unfortunately, I don't think you can. Only rich people can start travel agents now, because you have to stump up all that ATOL stuff.

You can trade under somebody else's ABTA/ATOL number, but they're going to want to see results for letting you do that. :blush:

First time last year and loved it. Why i spent so many years putting off going abroard for fear of flying, i may never now. I got on the plane at Bristol Airport and we began to taxi to the run way. All i could remember was listening to the sound of those turbines winding up. And when we actually started down the runway, i think every body on the plane found out it was my first time. You could say i was a little excited an audible lol. We landed in Palma Airport and i cursed myself for being so stupid for all those years. Had a brilliant holiday and was gutted when we was on our way back to the airport 2 weeks later. About half way home on the plane i had my very first experience with very bad turbulance. It lasted about half hour and i thought the wings were flapping to keep the plane up the way they were moving in the stormy weather. The emergency and seat belt lights came on. The cabin crew were told to sit down. And by that time my A HOLE was chewing an hole in the seat. We actually had to drop 8000 feet down to 30000 ft just to get out of the bad storm we had been in. The landing at Bristol Airport was hard to say the least, and we all ended up being thrwon forwards in our seats quite violently. When we got off, i could hear veteran fliers saying that it was the worst turbulance they had ever experienced in all the years they had been flying. But all in all it didn't put me off going again. But a few of my friends who were also first time flyers who were on the same flight, said they nor the kids will never fly again. Totally hated it. Just goes to show its not for every ones palate

I hate flying but have to put on a brave face for the family. I recommend drinking spirits before boarding then on the flight. Even if you are not a spirits drinker,the adrenaline will help you handle the booze. You will be laughing and whooping with every bit of turbulence.

I cant stop thinking about hurtling groundwards thinking "was it worth all this for a weeks holiday? ". I can handle rough weather in boats as I am confident in the water. However hard I flap my arms I could not do a single thing in the air.

i used to love flying, spent years in the air cadets at school, earned my solo gliding wings and clocked up a few dozen hours on all types of powered air craft, learnt how to do alot of aerobatics from an ex harrier pilot at woodvale too. had a couple of mishaps (straps coming undone when i was flying inverted, and having a very hard landing in a glider) but they never worried me at the time.

last few years however ive found myself getting more and more nervous. i used to love it when the plane hit a bit of turbulance, now any small tremor and i start bricking it. flying ryan air definitely didnt help - i swear the plane nearly crashed coming into land in latvia january 09 :blush:

Like Chard i also used to be a travel agent in a former life, going on various educational trips including one to Argentina with 33 fights in 11 days.My favorite type of flying is in small planes, i had some incredible experiances in Kenya in a 5 seater flying over Kilimangaro, and even better landing on the beach and in fields in the Seychells, but best of all was flying in a blizzard in Canada in a small twin Otter, when we got off the plane, we all slid about on the runway. :good: God knows how he put it down.In my late twentys we used to fly down to a pub in Shropshire or the lakes for a game of bridge, in a helicopter,which was fine untill the dope landed it on it's tail in Mossley, Tameside. :yes::blush: Easy way to overcome your fears is to go into a large travel agents and ask to see a copy of the official airline guide.There are two volumes,which are as thick as the largest telephone book you can imagine, every surface printed on is in the smallest print possible and that is the timetable for every flight per month, in the world.Brings it a tad into perspective.Also if there is ever a plane crash it instantly makes headlines, unlike the thousands of other transport types.It's still not as much fun as being on a motorbike and a thousand times more boring. ENJOY.

Whats wrong with you lot, flying is the safest mode of transport (if I'm pilot in command then that's a different matter entirely :blush: ).

You only need to be scared sh****ss if you're in the middle east........its not just the crappy aircraft they use :good:

"A landing is good if you can walk away from it"

Whats wrong with you lot, flying is the safest mode of transport (if I'm pilot in command then that's a different matter entirely :blush: ).

You only need to be scared sh****ss if you're in the middle east........its not just the crappy aircraft they use :good:

"A landing is good if you can walk away from it"

But thats it, I'm not an uneducated chap, I'm not afraid of heights and know the statistics of safety, Its even proven that you are less likely to die in an aeroplane crash than you are a car crash.

Its not rational, thats whats so scary, lack of control.