how many have got rid of their bike

shade695

this year was my last on my bike :rolleyes: sold on my VFR800 Vtec as last year was a complete wash out and the roads are a complete nightmare for bikes this year, been a statistic before through my own stupidity and thought getting wiser and want to see grand kids one day.

any other bikers just had enough?

Bin riding bikes for over 30 years now and fast approaching half a century-bin off a few times and broken my fair share of bones but the idea of not having the escape that a superbike gives you is unbearable.Had to fight tooth and nail in the early years to get unlimited insurance with diabetes and suffered a 60% loading for many years untill the government outlawed such discrimination.My wife hates me riding bikes and worries whenever i go out but i've made my views known and told her that if i die on a bike then at least she will know that i died doing something that i truely love. :rolleyes:

I too are fast approaching my half centuary :/ remember all the pains and gains at the 40 barrier haha, but now had 2 elbow reconstructions (plasterer!) and the Viffer was getting heavy to handle and our roads up here are woefull, so when she went that day I bought myself a winchester select :yes: so starting something I've always wanted to do. but gutted on days like these seeing the bikes tearing up the roads, but stay safe Bruno and enjoy this weather :rolleyes:

Edited by shade695

I had a really bad smash nearly 4 years ago and came within a few mins of meeting the big man upstairs and I've not ridden since but if it wasnt for the wife and kids I'd have another one tomorrow...... would probably be a track bike though as you just cant ride as fast as I'd like on the road anymore, well not without pushing your luck.

The amount of near misses and close shaves got more and more frequent towards the end of our riding that running up to the accident me an my mates had been discussing jacking in anyway and going the trackday route.

Still gets me now though everytime I hear a bike go along top road near us (live near the Snake Pass in Derbyshire)... wish I was out.

Bin riding bikes for over 30 years now and fast approaching half a century-bin off a few times and broken my fair share of bones but the idea of not having the escape that a superbike gives you is unbearable.Had to fight tooth and nail in the early years to get unlimited insurance with diabetes and suffered a 60% loading for many years untill the government outlawed such discrimination.My wife hates me riding bikes and worries whenever i go out but i've made my views known and told her that if i die on a bike then at least she will know that i died doing something that i truely love. :good:

I owned my Rickman before I met my wife, so it's a non-negotiable - I sold it when we were first married (to buy such essentials as a washing machine, cooker etc), but as soon as I had some spare cash, I tracked it down and bought it back and I've owned it ever since, 40 years now.

Admittedly, nowadays, I seem to be working on it more than I ride it, but no, I still haven't had enough of it!!

I have been riding bikes for longer than I can remember having the time of my life up to the time I had a really stupid accident.

I fixed the bike as soon as I was able to and gave it to my nephew. At my age it was the wisest thing I could do.

Still miss it.!

I was a 'born again' biker, brought a cheap GPZ500, was great fun, but found just too many nutters on the road, and self preservation kicked in, and I sold it.

I used to be a 'despatch rider' back in the 70's using a tuned Suzuki GT380 ( loved those tuned pipes when they kicked in ) :good::good:

Do miss it.

ATB

Tony

Yep, been into bikes since a very young lad but sold mine last year (ZX6R). It was a money thing to be honest as I'd been on the sick for 7 weeks but looking back it also seemed that the older I got, the slower I got. I worried more about getting knocked off the bike and getting caught from those bloody cameras as being a driver for my living I could not afford to lose the licence.

Still miss it though. :good:

post-21389-1271350410.jpgYes me to born again biker,passed test in 2000 bought nearly new yamaha yzf 600 thunder cat,162 mph and i never like to come second was not a good mix so after a few close calls sold it to dealer and lost £1000 but am still here,lot safer shooting as a hobbie than biking.

post-21389-1271350410.jpgYes me to born again biker,passed test in 2000 bought nearly new yamaha yzf 600 thunder cat,162 mph and i never like to come second was not a good mix so after a few close calls sold it to dealer and lost £1000 but am still here,lot safer shooting as a hobbie than biking.

had a cat myself (YZF of course) shouldn't say but that was the one I came a croper on or off as the case was :lol: was being a complete toss and riding well outside my limits and came off at a left hander, was then a casualty of a high side (good 30' of air was rode haha!) but lived to tell the tale :cry1: rebuilt the cat and swapped it for a GSX1000 SeaDoo :good: then really got battered and bruised!! would really give my sole for one of those Can Ams (3 wheel jobs) £14000 though :good:

I had a really bad smash nearly 4 years ago and came within a few mins of meeting the big man upstairs and I've not ridden since but if it wasnt for the wife and kids I'd have another one tomorrow...... would probably be a track bike though as you just cant ride as fast as I'd like on the road anymore, well not without pushing your luck.

The amount of near misses and close shaves got more and more frequent towards the end of our riding that running up to the accident me an my mates had been discussing jacking in anyway and going the trackday route.

Still gets me now though everytime I hear a bike go along top road near us (live near the Snake Pass in Derbyshire)... wish I was out.

had to sell my last one cos i kept falling off! it was a cagiva wmx500 chassis with a suzuki sp400 engine, looked the mutts nuts, only problem is i don't bounce like i used to. was thinking along the same lines and getting a track day bike..

im robotic now ....

my last bike, a bandit ended with me spending some serious time under the knife/hammers/drills/chisels/reamers etc.... 12 months of rehab learning to walk again etc... not good, dark days...

no more bikes... besides, dont think they'd have much chance of repairing me again... :good:

couldnt put the missus through it all again...and ive got me boy now...so...after a lifetime of having them... no more bikes...

althoughhhhhhhhhh.... i used to ride competative trials.... not sure my wrist/forarm would stand up to any serious trialing but im thinking of having another crack at it... even if its just to smell petrol and two stroke and have shares in autosol again...

owned some monsters in my day and was made to ride, its the hardest thing ive ever had to let go of...

Still got a Thundercat but under pressure from wifey to sell. I've made it clear that, if I do, then any and all funds are for the sole purpose of buying any of the following items - fishing gear, shooting gear, audio gadgetry, IT gadgetry, new shed or greenhouse. Under no circumstances will it be used for any "sensible" household items! :good:

I always remember sitting at traffic lights on Smallbrook Ring way in Birmingham in about 1966-7 and was freezing my nuts off and a car pulled up beside me and this bloke and bird with beehive sat there all warm and my biking days ended - my aim was a car and not long after I passed my car test and got myself a Ford Zodiac Mk11 -Always had big cars - never had a mini-- from then on bikes were a hobby not a means of transport. -- finally sold my bike in 2004 - to me roads are just too dangerous and I am too old and had to many near miss's .

Dave