.17 hmr?22lr

adam1

Right I know this has been done to death and we all know the pros and cons, If you dont just use the search function as there's enough reading there to make you late for work., but i was just wondering who has had both and given one up as it was getting no use, not hyperthetically I mean actually done it, and obviously which one went and what were your personal reasons.

I thought it's just a slightly different take on a debate as old as the hmr itself.

Right I know this has been done to death and we all know the pros and cons, If you dont just use the search function as there's enough reading there to make you late for work., but i was just wondering who has had both and given one up as it was getting no use, not hyperthetically I mean actually done it, and obviously which one went and what were your personal reasons.

I thought it's just a slightly different take on a debate as old as the hmr itself.

I have both and I never use the HMR. Noisy, expensive and prone to losing its POI from the slightest of breezes.

.22LR is a great round and I regret ever buying the HMR.

Edited by harfordwmj

I have both and quite often take both out together. last night in fact sat in the truck waiting for rabbits to come out, i used the HMR for the longer shots, so as far as i am concerned yes i have a need for both, using the HMR bagged me a further 6 rabbits, of which i would not have gained using just the 22LR. plus its there if i call a fox within range.

horses for courses :good:

Ive got both my Annie is the serious shooter, and my walther is just for plinking around the farm targets tins ect, i should get ride of it for a proper 22 but i just love the size and feel of it complete with red dot and green laser sights :rolleyes: . The reason why i do keep it is i dont think i would ever use a .22 for proper hunting, the .17 does all i want, and for closer stuff i use my prosport, 5 collered doves 1 jackdaw and a pigeon in 45 min`s around some barns after feeding yesterday :good:

same as NB except got rid of the .22, wouldn't be without the HMR cracking accurate gun. As for being more prone to wind please don't make me laugh Harford, try them side by side at the same range and I guarantee the HMR will out perform the LR

Right, where do I start?

When I got my FAC I bought a HMR. Then I wanted a .22lr for the range so bought a SYSS Ruger 10/22. I used both for a while but got a bit concerned with the ricochet aspect of the .22 and sold it as I used the HMR more. Some time (and some guns) later I dropped the HMR for a .22 Hornet which was the best thing I ever did. I had to home load it but it was a wonderful round. Then I got .17 fever (next to no ricochet) so bought a .17 Ackley Hornet and dropped the .22 Hornet. Now if you like the HMR the .17AH will make you mess your pants, seriously! Once I got the AH I realised that I had a lot of space for a little .22lr. They may ricochet and you need to respect them, but they are so quiet it's daft to be without one. And they're next to free to shoot which is a real bonus!

So I guess a few questions will answer your needs.

1. Do you need to be quiet? Yes, .22 or no .17hmr or .22 Hornet. If no...

2. Are you willing to home load? Yes, .22 Hornet or no, .17HMR.

3. Do you definately only want one gun, because if you don't get both!

If you need to be quiet it's .22lr. If you don't then honestly, consider reloading and get a CZ Hornet. The Hornet is a wonderful little centrefire round that can be home loaded for not a lot more than HMR ammo costs to buy. The HMR is a great newbie gun but in my experience it doesn't really have enough uses. It's loud, not cheap to run and doesn't hit that hard so there are better options.

If you want a simple buy ammo and shoot rifle just for Rabbits that will do a decent range and have a flat trajectory with little ricochet risk then the HMR is good. I just chose to get into it a bit deeper because the other options have a lot more to offer.

.22 is nice and quiet (with subs) but I can push my range out with the HMR far beyond what I would ever trust the .22 at. Now that I've convinced my local farmer that it's not really that loud (even at night) I shan't be looking back. I have a MOD on mine but I admit that the supersonic crack tends to make any nearby rabbits grab their tin hats and run, but be honest how many times have you been able to take several out in a group, the impact noise is enough to spook em. people will tell you that HMR don't riccochet (bull) they just aren't as willing to do it as .22. I just Love my HMR

i have both .22 and 17hmr,the 17,s the first out of cabinet 9 out of 10,they are noisey but i find that rabbits don,t know were the sounds coming from with a mod fitted.i,d always have both though,.22hornet great round for fox up to 150 yards but a bit to expensive if you don,t reload,plus you might not want a centrefire.

I dont actually own a .22lr but my bezza mate has one. I myself opted for the .17hmr. We often take the 2 out together and use them 2 to our advantage. His .22 for the short range bunnies and my .17 for the longer range ones. But i must say that altho the .22 is a handy bit of handy kit. I'm not keen on how many rounds go rebounding off into near by hedges if they miss their targets. Iv put about 500 rounds through my Hmr and i can honestly say i'v had 1 maybe rounds wizz off into the hedge. Compared to my mates .22lr which to me does it 2/ 3 times out of every mag of 10. And as for noise, well the bunnies dont seem to be aware where the noise comes from the hmr with a mod on. A few may run for cover but most just sit up and freeze. Giving me the chance to bag one or 2 more. But i would agree with some above posts, if you got the 2 then use them.

I've got a cz 452 american,with a jager reflex custom moderator,scope I've a cheapy hawk 3x940 and its my most used gun on the land.I found remingtos the most accurate ammon,my point of aim has not changed in 3 years,I've a .22 target rifle and a lbp and a historic but ide never use a .22 on the land again,there ok down the club but that's as far as ide take any .22 .17 is so accurate its unreal,on bunnies its a one shot stop,yeah a .22 is real quiet but in my experience once ones been shot they all bolt.so why bother!