No Pigeons about...??

Catamong

Garyb and I had a run around at the weekend to see what was about, there's been very little Spring drilling in our area this year, and even the chewed up Rape patches had very few birds feeding on them, so we decided against going out on Sunday.

I noticed late on Sunday that the Beech trees near my house were full of birds feeding on the buds, and they're still there now, so if you've got a lot of Beech trees in your area, this is where they'll be. :stupid:

I took this piccy of one group about 10 minutes ago.

Pigeons210410.jpg

Cat.

There are still good groups in my area, mostly on clover, but some in the tractor tracks on the rape.

I shot two this morning while walking round a rape field and their crops were full of hawthorn buds.

Strangely enough they seem to be leaving the chitting peas alone this year, which is a nuisance because one of my Farms has acres and acres of peas.

Yup... still very few round 'ere

Saw "some" dropping into that rape we looked at by Dans earlier today...

Need rain, as rain = drilled peas :blink:

Charlie was up at the farm this morning for a 6am start and he shot nothing by 9am... Bit annoying as we had only just built a hide on the field :hmm:

After a shortage of pigeons most of the winter plenty in my part of N Norfolk and for the past few weeks they have been hitting the rape hard , but the pheasants have started to lay so thats it for pigeon shooting for me until after the harvest. :hmm:

I managed 50 on Rape last Saturday. No big flocks though all singles or pairs of birds. During the winter there were 1000's of Pigeon on this field.

I think they have all paired up now and have dispersed. I will give it another go this weekend and then give it a rest until the harvest.

A few in the trees round me eating buds but plenty else where now starting to get on the peas .due to the lack of rain there all on green stuff like rape and even young beat :lol: had 2 guys shoot the same beat field over the last 2 weeks with 72 and 57 shot ,had a look late this afternoon and there was well over 300 on again :o

They were on clover up until last weekend, but yesterday there was nothing on the rape, clover or in the air. I shot two that had empty crops. We have one field of stunted rape. It was sprayed about 10 days ago and I reckon in a day or so that will be a hot spot for a couple of weeks.

I managed 50 on Rape last Saturday. No big flocks though all singles or pairs of birds. During the winter there were 1000's of Pigeon on this field.

I think they have all paired up now and have dispersed. I will give it another go this weekend and then give it a rest until the harvest.

Same spot as last week, not a pigeon in sight after a hour.

Moved to another field of Rape which had also produced some good bags in the past few weeks. Found some low stuff. 5 hours later and shot 6 Pigeon.

That's me done until the harvest!!