General election

Dear All

With days to go until polling day we are asking BASC members to support our election campaign.

The opinion polls are suggesting a hung parliament. Whatever the outcome, it seems certain that there will be more new MPs than at any time since 1945. We will have our work cut out to build strong support for shooting in the next parliament. Identifying where candidates stand is the essential first step – and an election is the ideal opportunity.

BASC has launched a new service on the website to help shooters find where their candidates stand on shooting. Candidates are more likely to respond to an enquiry from a constituent than a question from BASC headquarters. We are therefore asking members to use our service to email their candidates through our election website.

This will help us target the right MPs, urge them to join the All-Party Group and offer them the opportunity to try shooting, meet shooters and see for themselves the substantial benefits that shooting provides for recreation, the environment and the rural economy.

Click here http://campaign.publicaffairsbriefing.co.u...3-490c7e6ead7e/ to visit the election page on the BASC website where you can find all the information you need.

Protecting our sport in the new parliament will put additional demands on our resources.

BASC strives to keep the annual subscription as low as is consistent with the best representation for your sport. Throughout the year we provide other opportunities for you to give a little extra if you wish. Every pound raised in this way goes directly to benefit shooting.

If you have not yet had the chance, please visit our Election Appeal which you can find off hte main site - I would be very grateful for your support.

Yours sincerely

Christopher Graffius

Director of Communications

Edited by David BASC

BASC election campaign shows strong support from candidates. Press release.

26th April 2010…………….……………………………………………….immediate release

A unique online election campaign run by the UK’s largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) has gathered the views on shooting of one in four of all declared general election candidates.

The campaign, which allows people to question all their local candidates on shooting issues by using a simple web page, has received responses from more than 700 candidates. Asked if they supported shooting carried out according to existing codes of practice, 63% said yes, with a further 18% declaring themselves to be neutral on the issue. Only 13% said they were firmly against lawful shooting with 6% undecided.

BASC’s director of communications, Christopher Graffius said “Our online election campaign has brought us a more significant response than any information gathering system we have used in previous election campaigns. We have trebled the amount of information we know about candidates’ views heading into polling day.”

“What the information reveals very clearly is that there is all-party backing for shooting, with some candidates from all of the political parties expressing their support. The largest group of those expressing support are Conservatives (239) followed by the Lib Dems (114) and Labour (65) but we have had positive responses from the SNP, Plaid Cymru, UKIP, independent and even Green party candidates.”

“It is important that everyone who shoots visits the BASC election website, which can be found on our homepage www.basc.org.uk, before May 6th and adds their voice to those demanding straight answers from candidates to straight questions on shooting issues. ENDS.

NOTES TO EDITORS:

A breakdown of current information can be seen here

David cameron is a deer stalker and f.a.c. Holder,(little known fact my freinds) also there repealing the hunting ban,and at the sportsman association meeting last year at bisley phoenix,there was talk of a partial pistol ban repeal! So can any one here guess who's getting my vote, as a hard working ex pistol shooter who also goes stalking?........

David, I tried and received the following. FYI 192.168.x.x is an 'internal' IP address (not a 'public' one), so won't get past your router/modem.

You may want to pass this on to your IT Chappies.

What I received when I tried:

Your message could not be sent.

A transcript of the attempts to send the message follows.

The number of attempts made: 41

Addressed To: election@basc.org.uk

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:40:03 +0100

Failed to send to identified host,

election@basc.org.uk: [192.168.50.10], 250 Mail queued for delivery

--- Message non-deliverable.

I had similar trouble to Alpha , but in my case the email ended up in some council officers PC about 100 miles away from the person I sent it to. Everyone has their own ideas on which party is best for shooting and rightly so , but look at the Tory and Labour track record on anti shooting laws. You might get a surprise which party past the majority of them.

So Davie Cam has a FAC lets all vote the cons. Much more out there than shooting I'm afraid and it wont be up to him in the future to keep shooting if we are ruled by Europe. Its a bonus if they are pro hunting but think of other things other than shooting please as not everything is based around shooting and hunting.

I'm stuck none of the top three have convinced me to vote for them other than when I was watching a Scottish economy debate was on when the SNP, Labour and the Lib dems all ganged up on the Cons candidate. That's when I thought the Tories will be the best as the others were living in a dream world.

got a nice reply from my Lib Dem candidate today!....

Dear Nick

Since I enjoy eating locally shot pheasant (and the occasional pigeon

- one less to predate on our allotment), it would be quite wrong for me to oppose shooting in principle. I am also familiar with the BASC.

I confirm that I support shooting sports conducted according to the current codes of practice.

Best wishes

Sandy Walkington

Sandy Walkington

Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidate for St Albans

lib dem mail to aptly named Hunter bounced -

Your email did not reach the intended recipient.

Parliament is currently dissolved and there are no Members of Parliament until after the General Election.

Email accounts for MPs and their staff are therefore not in use and your e-mail will not be forwarded, or stored for delivery at a later date.

This email is an automated notification. Please do not reply to this message as the mailbox is not monitore

Sent all the candidates in my area the email this morning also invited any of them to call or visit to discuss further. Our long standing Conservative MP went to the same primary school as my kids do, he was outside there yesterday and will no doubt be there again soon enough so know where to go to force an answer out if he does not reply.

Here's from one of my local my candidates

I apologise for not having responded to you earlier on this issue.

I have to advise that I am not supportive of game shooting due to animal welfare reasons. In particular, I have concerns about the breeding of birds for shooting and the conditions they are kept in.

I may be supportive of shooting of birds if there are sound reasons why they need to be culled but I would need to be convinced over these reasons.

I am happy to support target shooting.

Thank you for raising this issue with me.

Yours sincerely

Alistair Cameron

Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidate

A breakdown of current information can be seen here

If you're basing your vote on shooting matters everything you need to see is shown in the above link. You'd be mad to vote for anyone BUT the Conservatives. I'm voting for them anyway as they're the only ones with at least a half decent track record with the economy, aswell as shooting issues. Even if they're just blowing smoke up our @ s s e s with the repeal of the 1997 (2) pistol ban, at least they're blowing my flavour smoke! <_<

Mark

heres my replies

Thank you for your e-mail. For many people country sports are an integral part of rural life, and they contribute a considerable amount to the rural economy. We will preserve the right of people to engage in country sports and will only regulate where self-regulation fails to maintain high standards of animal welfare and environmental care. I support the first option listed below.

Best wishes

Nicky

Nicky Morgan

Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Loughborough

www.nickymorgan.com

Good morning Steve, First my apologies for the not replying before. This option sums up my views. I support shooting sports conducted according to the current codes of practice. I've had a go my self at clays but not too good!

Best Wishes, Mike

Mike Willis

Liberal Democrat Prospective MP for Loughborough

heres my replies

Thank you for your e-mail. For many people country sports are an integral part of rural life, and they contribute a considerable amount to the rural economy. We will preserve the right of people to engage in country sports and will only regulate where self-regulation fails to maintain high standards of animal welfare and environmental care. I support the first option listed below.

Best wishes

Nicky

Nicky Morgan

Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Loughborough

www.nickymorgan.com

Good morning Steve, First my apologies for the not replying before. This option sums up my views. I support shooting sports conducted according to the current codes of practice. I've had a go my self at clays but not too good!

Best Wishes, Mike

Mike Willis

Liberal Democrat Prospective MP for Loughborough

Conversation with our local LD activists about the party line says this is Bovine excreta - I rest my case