fox den in the garden

i have a huge shed at the end of my garden an a fox has made a den under it my dog is goin crazy trying to get at them how can i get rid of them there pooin in my garden at nite an makin noise i need to get them packing any ideas or options

cheers

You can try peeing down the hole (regularly) or pouring ammonia or white spirt (old stuff after you have cleaned a paint brush with it) down it but if they have built a den then it probably means cubs this time of year and I for one wouldn't do it when there are cubs in the den, call me soft if you like.

Other tricks include taking the lid off an old can of paint and stuffing it down the hole with a broom handle or creosoting the shed (Not so effective but you get a nice shed even if it doesn't work). In all cases they don't like the smell and abandon the den.

Edited by Vince Green

Can you not poke a long length of timber under the shed and give the vixen a good whack to encourage her out?

A bite from a fox means two days in hospital (minimum) on intraveinous antibiotics. the teeth go deep and it festers. Foxes teeth carry some very nasty germs. If you get bitten by a fox don't wait until it goes nasty before you go to A&E. They will take you in and put you on antibiotics straight away because you risk getting blood poisioning. You never want to get that close to any angry fox.

Edited by Vince Green

A bite from a fox means two days in hospital (minimum) on intraveinous antibiotics. the teeth go deep and it festers. Foxes teeth carry some very nasty germs. If you get bitten by a fox don't wait until it goes nasty before you go to A&E. They will take you in and put you on antibiotics straight away because you risk getting blood poisioning.

Hey,i wouldnt be the one doing the poking.I'd be the one holding a shotgun... :blush:

A bite from a fox means two days in hospital (minimum) on intraveinous antibiotics. the teeth go deep and it festers. Foxes teeth carry some very nasty germs. If you get bitten by a fox don't wait until it goes nasty before you go to A&E. They will take you in and put you on antibiotics straight away because you risk getting blood poisioning. You never want to get that close to any angry fox.

in some cases rabies, will post you r kids trainers a couple wiffs of them an will soon be in the next county :yes::P

pipe from exhaust under decking when bolted seal the entrance. or moderated hushpower 20 or 12 bore. i use a sonic cat ,pest ,repeller in the garden against badgers digging great holes in the garden for worms etc,very effective, brocks have very sensitive hearing.they reckon just has effective on foxes. happy hunting :blush:

in some cases rabies,

Have you any evidence of that? the UK is rabies free AFAIK

Simple answer to the problem in this case is a cage trap and humane despatch any method using dogs won't be legal in this case

Have you any evidence of that? the UK is rabies free AFAIK

Not strictly true....generally speaking the UK is rabies free but i think that you'll find some bat species may still carry rabies.

Note to anyone, if you get a bat stuck in your house....wear thick leather gloves!

i have a huge shed at the end of my garden an a fox has made a den under it my dog is goin crazy trying to get at them how can i get rid of them there pooin in my garden at nite an makin noise i need to get them packing any ideas or options

cheers

If you accidentally spilt real creosote around the entrance point the trouble would be likely

to go away of its own accord. Sadly the DIY sheds are not allowed to sell creosote for painting

sheds fences etc but farm supplies can sell it for agricultural use. :oops:

Why not just put up a cage trap and take em one at a time?

Once you have caught one fox in a trap in that garden you are unlikely to catch any more. Not for a long time anyway. In any case, traps only tend to catch young foxes. Very unlikely to catch the old dog fox.

Once you have caught one fox in a trap in that garden you are unlikely to catch any more. Not for a long time anyway. In any case, traps only tend to catch young foxes. Very unlikely to catch the old dog fox.

so the fact that Ive caught and humainly dispatched 7 adult foxes in my garden in the same trap means your wrong on that quote.

if you can get a fox trap, bait it with rabbit, the smellier the better, let me know a location, if you dont have access to a modded (hushpower) Ive got a fully hushpower 410, using sub sonics the neighbours would hardly notice, travel in and out of london most nights (night workerr/pest control)