hand loading 17hmr ammo.

I have had a 17hmr for a while now and i understand that it is pointless trying to reload rim fire ammo, but is it possible to hand load HMR ammunition from scratch?

If so is it worth it, where would you get the parts from and could you use the same heads as those on .17 mach 2 or .17 Remington fire ball.

I have had a 17hmr for a while now and i understand that it is pointless trying to reload rim fire ammo, but is it possible to hand load HMR ammunition from scratch?

If so is it worth it, where would you get the parts from and could you use the same heads as those on .17 mach 2 or .17 Remington fire ball.

Why would you want to?

Seriously, not taking the ****, but surely.

You would have to buy the primer liquid, and spin it into the bottom of the cases. When they load them, the spin the cases and drop the liquid inn the spinning gets all of the primer to the edges of the case.

Also, you would have to get a license to hold the primer propellent.

It is possible to load from new, because they do it in the factories, is it worth it, in all seriousness, give up on the idea and buy them from your RFD, it will be cheaper in the long (and short) run :oops:

The striker dent could be removed using oil inside the case and a punch inside, a bit like removing primers in some centre fire brass. But hardly worth the bother on that calibre, mabe on some obsolete ones though. Then a thorough degreasing drying and repriming. Providing that you can find suitable priming and powder combination. You are better off trying other rounds and finding the ones that suit rifle/conditions. Leave the research and developement to those who can afford it.

Paladin

HMR is rimfire ammo, so it's equally as impossible as any other rimfire ammo.

The only .17 rounds you can homeload are the Mach IV and the fireball, which are centrefire rounds.

The striker dent could be removed using oil inside the case and a punch inside, a bit like removing primers in some centre fire brass.

Paladin

do you mean as in hydraulic principle?

interesting idea but,quite a lot of pressure would be needed i presume to remove the dent.so as you say,we are getting into the impractical area.

i think if it was practical,someone would have taken the idea up by now.

al

Edited by albob

You will never get a licence for the liquid primer,its a volatile mix of nitrate chemical and fine crushed glass,it has to be made on site mixed a split second before placement in case. Its more dangerous than nitro glicerine, u imagine a solid lump of spray primer? It would be a instant grenade without need for a pin!

You will never get a licence for the liquid primer,its a volatile mix of nitrate chemical and fine crushed glass,it has to be made on site mixed a split second before placement in case. Its more dangerous than nitro glicerine, u imagine a solid lump of spray primer? It would be a instant grenade without need for a pin!

;)

so where can i get some of that then? :blink:

On CCI's website I saw a advert for reloading consumables for .22lr rounds. Seemed one crack shot rolled his own. It seems unnecessary to me, given the fact that you can get batches of ammo in the tens of thousands which goes the sameish speed and the complication of loading rimfire rounds.