If you had to, how far could you walk in 24 hours?

Nial

I recon I'd struggle to do more than 30. Unless you're a keen walker it's not as simple as it sounds! If I really had to then I guess I'd push on, but at what cost?

I've walked 22 miles in 7 hours a few times and I hurt. I spend all day standing up and walk a fair bit but when you push all day it catches up with you. The skin on your feet tends to start packing up at about this point.

I've been wondering.

Leaving your house with say 10 minutes warning, how far do you think you could get in 24 hours?

Nial.

I bet i could hitch it 300miles in 24 hrs...

On foot....Not far....30/40 miles perhaps before my heart exploded...

Edited by smig4373

Some interesting answers.

The background to the question.....

I'm 41 and haven't done anything that really pushes me physically or mentally for a while.

You hear about people covering big distances in 'escape and evasion' exercises (Bravo Two Zero

across the desert) and I wondered how far I'd make it in 24 hours.

Nial.

I did the Longmynd Hike a few years ago, on four occasions. I now know I can walk 50 miles in under 24 hours. I did limited training for it and it was very enjoyable & challenging. I would recommend it to anyone who likes walking and wants a challenge.

If I had 10 minutes' notice to put my boots on and grab a wallet, walking on the flat I reckon I could cover 60 miles or so...

my keys are always in my pocket for my car land rover and bike so i'll do the 60 mile or so in under an hour (maybe a litte longer in the land rover) and start drinking the beer while I wait for you lot who are walking :lol: