How close to shoot near a road?

djrwood

Hello, i've spotted a field on the way to work which is being r*ped bu the pigeons at the moment. There were well over a hundred there feeding last night and this morning. I havent got permission to shoot on the field but have discovered who the farmer is and am planning on going and visiting him over the weekend to see if he wants me to get on there and get rid of them for him. The only problem is that this field is sided by two A roads. I'll do my best to explain it. There is a row of tress on the northern side of the field. Behind them is another field which is approximately 70m wide at its narrowest point and behind this is a fairly busy single carriageway A road. This road shall be at least 75m from where i am shooting. On the west side of the field i am hoping to shoot, is another single carriageway A road. I am planning on setting the hide at least 75m from this road.

There are trees which form a barrier between the field and the road and as long as i dont shoot towards it i am sure no shot will hit passing vehicles. I will be shooting in a southerly direction away from the other a road also.

I hope this has sufficeintly confused you but i hope you are still able to tell me what the minimum distance i should be from a busy A road to shoot a normal 12 bore. I dont want to go and ask the farmer permission to shoot on a field which is unsafe to do so and if i get permission i dont want PC plod showing up and ruining my fun.

Thanks

Dan

In addition to everyones superb advice-just remember to place your decoys in such a way that it encourages you to shoot into the field rather that across roads.

In a similiar vein,i often shoot near a sports field and do the same so my shot will always go across farmland rather than people doing athletics.

Edited by Imperfection

Thanks Al4x. Gram, there are exceptions but if you contravene them, you're in trouble.

Cheers

may be in trouble is the word, if its onto farmland odds are no problem. In the country lots of people accept it, my mums house regularly gets showered on game days, she knows how much damage it does so isn't bothered. Even the guidelines of road distance you could shoot from the roadside if you didn't "cause offence" to anyone

55 feet from the center of the road,that's the minimum distance u got to be to discharge a firearm,I think its the same distance where ure round hits or if ure quarry is within 55 feet u shouldent ought to take the shot. Let the dog get it! I think that's right correct me if I'm wrong.

its 50 feet not 55

You can stand in the middle of the road and shoot things, so long as you don't disturb anyone else or cause a nuance. What you can't do is let shot leave the area you have permission to shoot over.

wouldn;t recommend doing that unless you want a armed response unit on yer **** :)

Advice from BASC is definitive on this, in fact I think there was a case on here where a guy got nicked by plod for shooting within the 50 zone, it went to court, as the Police couldn't prove alarm or distress it was booted..the officer is still wiping egg off their face..

In particular, care should be taken when siting Guns near roads. Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

wouldn;t recommend doing that unless you want a armed response unit on yer **** :rolleyes:

There's different kinds of 'roads' :)

Now doing this on the M6's central reservation would be bad, but some very quiet country lane it may be appropriate and is not an offence.

When I had my FEO interview I asked about this re humane dispatch and was told that it's a very common misunderstanding that you can't do it.

that's interesting, spotted someone in his motor yesterday, parked up in the entrance to the field about 6 ft from the road in broad daylight popping rabbits from the cab of his truck. :rolleyes:

This is what it says.......

Highways Act 1980 section 161

1. If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits any thing whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

2. If a person without lawful authority or excuse;

(a) lights any fire on or over a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(:yes: discharges any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of such a highway, and in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

3. If a person plays at football or any other game on a highway to the annoyance of a user of the highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

4. If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, allows any filth, dirt, lime or other offensive matter or thing to run or flow on to a highway from any adjoining premises, he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

Highways Act 1980 section 161 (2)

For the purposes of this law, (Section 161 (2) of the Highway Act 1980) a highway is restricted to a public right of way for the passage of vehicles and does NOT include footpaths, cycle tracks or bridleways.

Guys...this old chestnut crops up regulary, please note the above, ...lets not get too stressed hey!!!

ATB!! :)

Edited by Dekers