had the armed response out tonight!

SSS

Me and chunkyed were out shooting some rabbits on a couple of my permissions tonight.

The first we visited, I was using my .22lr. No bunnies about, so we decided to go to another piece of ground on the way home.

This land is only about 30 acres or so, and isn't cleared for firearms, so I use my shotgun on there.

We had a drive round and shot a couple of rabbits (bait for fox trap) and decided to call it a night.

Got up to the gate, Ed went to open the gate as I put the shotgun away. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a copper appeared.

'What you up to lads, you have been reported for...' I couldn't believe the next words that left his mouth... 'SHEEP RUSTLING'.

They had a look around my truck, checked the guns and dissapeared incase there were 'sheep rustlers' somewhere else.

Its no problem to me, but we have been on that permission countless times.

I think the chap who reported us was a bit twitchy because he heard gun shots, and saw lights in the field.

What can I say, unbelievable!

Sheep rustling is what the informant might have presumed in their total ignorance,but in today's litigious age the police have to respond even when they know better, just in case. As a dog handler I've regularly been called out to respond to reports of armed men walking over fields. Yep! A game shoot. And even though I knew that a shoot was taking place and the people participating I still had to respond and speak to someone. Same with reports of someone putting 'stolen property' in a van when I knew that the van was parked next to a canal and anglers used that parking spot. Still had to go even though the van and 'stolen property' were well gone by the time I got there.

This is from 2009 but as a member of both Farm and poacher Watch we get a lot of them pointed out to us and it is on the increased

The Observer April 2009

Farmers face ruin as rustlers cash in on soaring meat prices

Huge rise in thefts as criminals switch from stealing scrap metal to raiding livestock

The rising price of meat has led to a sharp increase in cases of livestock rustling, with sheep, cattle and pigs being stolen to order. In the past month alone, 500 pigs were taken in a raid on a farm in Staffordshire, 80 lambs and ewes "disappeared" from Bridgwater, Somerset, and 20 sheep about to lamb were taken from a field near Ulverston, Cumbria.

One devastated north Lincolnshire farmer has lost nine rare breed red poll cattle, three of them in calf. "It's a year's wages I've lost," said Gerrad Farmer, who started his award-winning pedigree herd five years ago. "I just despair." The National Farmers' Union acknowledged a "growing" problem, as farmers' representatives said animals were now being stolen in multiples and often to order. The Food Standards Authority has warned the public to be on its guard.

With rigorous regulations on the tagging and tracking of livestock, those stolen without documentation will be illegally killed in unregulated conditions with no check on the animals' health, prompting fears for the public's safety. Four pregnant ewes, butchered then gutted in a field near Barnard Castle, Co Durham, in January had recently been given worming treatment; this led to a health alert.

Industry sources say rustling has now grown far beyond "one for the pot" and that criminal gangs are turning away from scrap metal theft as commodity prices drop.

Rob Mercer, 28, who runs Packington Pork at Hopwas, Staffordshire, said his 500 weaners, aged six weeks and worth £25,000, were stolen after thieves drove through a wood, dismantled a metal security barrier, cut open a fence, drove half a mile, then emptied 14 kennels of piglets into a lorry. His neighbour, who heard noises, alerted him at 3am but the thieves had already gone.

With pork prices rising, he believes they were stolen to order for another farm, which would "rear them up" before trying to sell them on without paperwork. "To load 500 pigs in the dark, you've got to have people who know how to handle livestock," he said. "And you wouldn't steal so many pigs then think about where they were going to go."

Tim Price, spokesman for rural insurance company NFU Mutual, said many farmers did not insure against theft. But rustling was now estimated to cost the industry £3.5m a year.

Gerrad Farmer said of his cattle theft: "Beef has never been at as high a premium as it is now. The problem is that people come and steal these things from you."

The likelihood is that his cattle will have been killed illegally for beef, with no regard for their pedigree. "No decent abattoir or market can accept them without documentation, though I have heard there is a black market in cattle passports. So who knows how or where they will be slaughtered.

"I am seriously considering giving it all up. One neighbour discovered one of his beasts in a field. It had been shot, then they had cut the back end off with a chainsaw - cut the legs off. And they took what they could carry."

Cattle rustling has not been prevalent in recent times owing to tagging and traceability in the wake of diseases such as BSE and foot-and-mouth, said the National Beef Association's chairman, Christopher Thomas-Everard.

Danny Cracknell, a director of Farmwatch, which works with police to deter rural crime, said: "The price of meat now is so high that it is a growing concern to our members. There has been an increase in multiple thefts, where it used to be just one or two animals.

:yes::good:

Ash243, I know Rob Mercer you mention in the article, he lost a lot of pigs when they got nicked, worst was, they were never traced.

On a more serious not, I might have some lamb coming back from slaughter, anyone want some? :good:

wat a waste of time for cops iv ad amred cops 5 times now they no me by name lol they said ring up and tell us ur shooting time s wat truck ur in wat weapons things like that tried that and they still come so dont bother now it give s them a ride out in to country for them lol and they get to hold there gun s just not nice when u have a MP 5 pointed at u

3 lorry's full of sheep got pinched around here not too long ago, With meat prices going up its on the increase boys!

Hi Guys Ring the police and get your name on the shooting log and ring again when you finished shooting they will give you a reference number to quote its better that being face down in the mud with the armed response team around you !!!!!!!! so if anyone rings up saying they heaard shots the police are already aware of your actions

Regards Gary

Hi Guys Ring the police and get your name on the shooting log and ring again when you finished shooting they will give you a reference number to quote its better that being face down in the mud with the armed response team around you !!!!!!!! so if anyone rings up saying they heaard shots the police are already aware of your actions

Regards Gary

I always used to do this, but I was advised by the FLO and BASC not to.

Yeah but if soemone phones the police and say that they heard gunshots in the area they will always turn up no matter if you rang them up before hand so irrespective of what you do actually you will get the "face in the mud" treatment.

I didn't think the OP got "the face in the mud treatment".

I didn't think the OP got "the face in the mud treatment".

I didn't, I don't know where that assumption came from. The coppers were quite pleasant really. The one just had to brag that he had a .223 and there would be nothing left of the rabbits ;) Never mind. Life goes on :yp:

I am not sure why sheep "rustling", or stealing, is considered funny.

There has been a large increase in the theft of sheep and pigs in the last couple of years and I know of quite a few instances in Kent.

Anyone in the country seeing lights, or vehicles at night where they don't expect to see them, is going to make a phone call.

There is also the chance it could be illegal coursers.