More bad press

hogey

Well this weekends events in Northumbria add more fuel to the fires of the gun antis

I came down the A69 at lunch time and was suprised to see so many armed police with weapons you usually see with the Milatary.

I hope the officer that was shot makes a speedy recovery and the hunt is brought to a swift safe conclusion

Sounds like it might have been illegally held :

"When asked how Moat might have got a gun, Ms Hornsby said: "He knew everybody and knew how to get things."

I am pretty sure it is illegally held and the barrel a bit shorter than required

If he was considered dangerous why was he released?

Jon.

If the reports in the mirror are correct he should have been inside for 5 years at least

He turned up on the doorstep brandishing a gun screaming that Sam had a man in the house and she should let him out to 'get what's coming to him'. We barricaded the door and hid in my bedroom. He rang Sam on her mobile and said he was going to shoot us all.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2.../#ixzz0skHhGBue

Edited by HDAV

Given that he was just out of the nick, the gun must have been illegally held.

I look on it as a demonstration that banning or changing legislation relating to legally held guns will not help reduce gun crime as, for the most part, the weapons used are illegal.

Let's give Joe Public some credit. Look at the guy, look at his record (of violence), read that his 'temper' was known about etc etc. I don't think such an incident will go against the (law abiding) shooting community. OK yes the anti-gun lobby will use it to have aniother dig but I really don't think their looney ideas cut much with the public at large.

This isn't bad press for us but is seriously nasty, there is a lot more to come from this I reckon and hopefully they don't dither. If this guy wants suicide by cop they should give it to him hopefully wothout anyone else getting injured.

If this guy wants suicide by cop they should give it to him hopefully wothout anyone else getting injured.

well placed none fatal wounds, why ruin a career over it. Hopefully they pick him swiftly and without incident to the police or general public, it has been reported he has threatened in the past with a firearm which is why i believe he should have been doing a much longer stretch than 18 months (the current laws if properly applied would have prevented this, if the reports are true

EDIT: Seems the previous incident wasn't reported to the police........

Edited by HDAV

why would it ruin a career this guy has already shot one policeman so i can't really see any enquiry finding any wrong doing if the shot is fatal, fingers crossed they pick him up shortly as after cumbria this could go a horribly similar way

why would it ruin a career this guy has already shot one policeman so i can't really see any enquiry finding any wrong doing if the shot is fatal, fingers crossed they pick him up shortly as after cumbria this could go a horribly similar way

Firearms officers that deliver a fatal shot don't usually remain in SO19, seems daft I know but the mental effects of "dispassionately" taking a human life (i.e. Not in a blind rage or other altered mental state) are unpredictable, so the force tends not to put them back out on the front line so to speak. In reality, apparently most officers in this position accept this situation quite happily.

According to R4 this morning, he thought his ex was dating a policeman and he's targeting them, hence the high level of security.

On the plus side, the rest of the population's safe, as long as they don't wear hi-viz clothing or are traffic wardens...

3 miles from me :rolleyes: Not sure why anyone would think this will negatively affect legit shooters though :lol:

Guy gets out of prison on Thursday,

Illegally acquires functional sawn-off shotgun on Friday,

Kills and injures on Saturday.

Can't think of a more stark example demostrating how strict gun contol doesn't work/prevent determined nutters killing innocent people :lol:

Mark

According to R4 this morning, he thought his ex was dating a policeman and he's targeting them, hence the high level of security.

On the plus side, the rest of the population's safe, as long as they don't wear hi-viz clothing or are traffic wardens...

His ex thought he would leave her alone if she told him she was seeing a policeman

shaun

3 miles from me :rolleyes: Not sure why anyone would think this will negatively affect legit shooters though :lol:

Guy gets out of prison on Thursday,

Illegally acquires functional sawn-off shotgun on Friday,

Kills and injures on Saturday.

Can't think of a more stark example demostrating how strict gun contol doesn't work/prevent determined nutters killing innocent people :lol:

Mark

Here here criminals will all ways get there hand on firearms mate. Lets hope he shoots him self save the trial and more money wasted on him in jail

Firearms officers that deliver a fatal shot don't usually remain in SO19, seems daft I know but the mental effects of "dispassionately" taking a human life (i.e. Not in a blind rage or other altered mental state) are unpredictable, so the force tends not to put them back out on the front line so to speak. In reality, apparently most officers in this position accept this situation quite happily.

Indeed some don't remain in the police either. It is a good argument that gun control is indeed circumvented by those with criminal intent (but the antis will just use it as an excuse for even tighter controls on legit owners), may be its just more news worthy at the moment but it does seem like alot more coverage on these and other events I think 2010 may well see a spike in the Home office figures

Edited by HDAV

i live by the initial shooting in birtley n work just out of dent where the 2nd shooting took place.. there are all the police in the world buzzing about but other than the 1st days door to door i cant see that theres much being done. infact inlight of the threats he made the day b4 release against his ex id say the shear volume of police bodies on the ground is an attempt to look like all possible is being done after they dropped the ball on the 2nd maniac in as many months.

oh n swiss.tony remember everytime some barmpot goes ape with a gun n then tops his self the public feels robbed of justice and thats when we legitimate shooters become scapegoats.. AGAIN!

Edited by hookbones