Rolex Watches

Doc Holliday

Anyone have a rolex? in particular the Explorer II. Looking at suggesting one for the OH to get me for Xmas & birthday, seeing as I didn't want her to get me what she had planned to for my 40th.

I would like to hear from anyone who has one and if they really are worth the money. Or maybe there is something else which is a better buy, possibly.

Thanks in advance, as always,

Doc

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, i'd steer clear of Breitling, my dad had a very unusual one, when the glass broke, the factory refused to fix it but offered him any watch he wanted as a swap - he kept the original. Seemed a bit underhand to me, reneging on a warranty so they could get it back.

I went for a Tag for my 40th, think they are a little more 'today and tomorrow' than a Rolex.

AB

I've got an Explorer I which I wouldn't trade for anything. Prices have shot up recently because of the raw material costs and the strength of the Swiss Franc. As others have said, they are more than a watch and the only 'cheap' proper watch with a free sprung balance (or it was when I last studied these things). Unlike other watch makers that change their range every few years, I think Rolex are an absolute design classic.

Good luck with it. You'll just have to buy the missus one too!

I have the submariner, bought it over 15 years ago for less than £3000 they are now £4000 plus, wouldnt change it, it was a great investment. i use it every day and dont take it off. doesnt matter what i am doing. if you can afford it I would say go for it, it will be with you for the rest of your life.

doc

I bought a GMT Master Mk 1 for £1050 2nd hand in 1993 and think I could get about £1700 for it. I put a Submariner clasp on as the original kept coming loose . Mine looks like new despite it being worn alot . You can get the time more accurately on your mobile probably but I think it is nice to have a good watch . I dress like a tramp but at least have one posh extremity .I think Rolex are unique and would prefer a used one to a new anything else .

Great watches, but 2nd hand are better value, unless of course money is no object.

if you are in the vicinty or know someone who is then I would recommend

Koh Watches Enterprise

101 Upper Cross Street, Singapore 058357 (peoples park centre)

for 2nd hand rolex.

Edited by MGMan

I also think the Tag's are a nicer watch and have the same warranty, workmanship etc...

Personally I wouldnt touch a Tag. I got one for my 21st and the minute hand fell off after a year. Six months later the hour hand fell off. I then got a full refund.

My mate has one which has done exactly the same as well as a few other problems.

Personally I wouldnt touch a Tag. I got one for my 21st and the minute hand fell off after a year. Six months later the hour hand fell off. I then got a full refund.

My mate has one which has done exactly the same as well as a few other problems.

I agree I had a Tag before the Rolex and couldnt sell it fast enough.

doc

I have an Exp II which I bought 10 years ago and is now worth more than I paid for it. I have also just bought one of the last date subs as they are trading at a premium. IMO stainless steel Rolex sports watches are a great investment, especially the rarer ones if you keep them intact with the box and papers. Just look at the price of 60s Daytonas! They are the definitive sports watch with probably the strongest brand name in the world. Also a bit more affordable than an H&H, Purdey or Boss.

Don't kid youreselves that Tag make great watches. The old Heuer brand did (see Steve Mcqeen's Le Mans watch) , but when Tag bought them out to form Tag Heuer they changed to build a fashion watch round a bog standard (most often quartz) movement sourced from ETA (Swatch). Rolex still make their own movements.

With a Rolex you're not getting a H&H or Purdey of the watch world, more a Beretta EELL. They are good watches but they are mass produced.

post-23564-1283351859.jpg

When staying in London two years ago, I come across one of these and could not make up my mind to buy it or not, a grand plus seemed a lot for watch!

In the end I bit the bullet and bought it and I have never regretted it, in fact I now have a Rolex aswell and I fancy another Seamaster with a leather strap.

It is a lovely thing to own and it is something nice to leave the boy when I pop my clogs :good: