Ringed Pigeon

ellebarto

Popped one by accident on Friday for the first time!

Is there any preferred/recommended approach I mean would the owner rather know what happened to it or his he just got try and chew me out for blasting it to bits?

I guess I should of know cos all the woodies stayed a million miles away ffrom me and this was the only fella to be perfectly decoyed in!

you didnt shoot an expensive racing pigeon that was on its way to winning a race... ???:beer: :beer:

what you shot, infact, was a racing pigeon that has gone feral from a loft :lol:??? happens quite regularly, and youre doing the pigeon boys a favour by getting rid as these ferals can distract and divert "proper" (ie still living in a loft) racing pigeons, making them go feral too. and theres no point ringing the owner and telling him you shot this bird (or telling him you found the body of his bird near a quarry after you disturbed a large peregrin falcon, whilst rabbit hunting, as once hapened me... :yes:) as you dont want to advertise to too many people that youre a gun owner, plus as racers turn feral all the time youd only be disturbing him with unwanted calls - and why would a racer drop into a decoy pattern if it was too busy winning a race?? ??? ??? ???

best to take the ring off (cut leg if you have to...), leave the body for mr fox, dump the ring in the bin at home, and congratulate yourself on a job well done :lol:

I used to race pigeons so Im probably best to advise...

If it were me I would like to know especially if it was a nice young bird, which do go astray for a few weeks at a time before turning up.

Just ring the RRPA on 01452 713529 and give them the ring number. Just say you found it on a carcase when walking the dog.

and......get yourselve some glasses or a British bird book and study the Woodpigeon in flight.... :yes::good:

I used to race pigeons so Im probably best to advise...

If it were me I would like to know especially if it was a nice young bird, which do go astray for a few weeks at a time before turning up.

Just ring the RRPA on 01452 713529 and give them the ring number. Just say you found it on a carcase when walking the dog.

and......get yourselve some glasses or a British bird book and study the Woodpigeon in flight.... ;):lol:

MMMM!!! Do they taste different??!?! :yes::good::P:lol:

• 1 month later...

WE MUST BE RIGHT UNDER A RACING LINE THEN FROM IRELAND TO ENGLAND COS WE GET LOADS HERE MIXED IN {caps sorry just looked up} with townies and farm barn birds, big flocks of em, used to take up about 15% easy of my yearly quota.

huge great flocks would occassionally be coming in from str8 out to sea, definately townies from off shore here, they were coming unto big fields of spring sown rape, just settle at one end, then some more would come in, some would come to deeks and pop pop, then they would all be in the air and circling, some more would break off and come in, wash rinse repeat, or even just put a shot off to lift them when tey got tired of playing, literally hundreds of them, didnt happen often but i found em regular enough.

EDITED TO ADD.

I meant to say quite a few had rings on, there must be alot of ferrals, thats all i can say about it, as there were alot of ringed birds.

Their heads came off and were cashed in same as any other pidgeon..

Edited by manxman2

you didnt shoot an expensive racing pigeon that was on its way to winning a race... :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

what you shot, infact, was a racing pigeon that has gone feral from a loft :yes: :yes: happens quite regularly, and youre doing the pigeon boys a favour by getting rid as these ferals can distract and divert "proper" (ie still living in a loft) racing pigeons, making them go feral too. and theres no point ringing the owner and telling him you shot this bird (or telling him you found the body of his bird near a quarry after you disturbed a large peregrin falcon, whilst rabbit hunting, as once hapened me... :good:) as you dont want to advertise to too many people that youre a gun owner, plus as racers turn feral all the time youd only be disturbing him with unwanted calls - and why would a racer drop into a decoy pattern if it was too busy winning a race?? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

best to take the ring off (cut leg if you have to...), leave the body for mr fox, dump the ring in the bin at home, and congratulate yourself on a job well done :stupid:

I agree, i used to phone them in, but people were not interested, usually told they went missing 10 months ago and had gone ferral. so dont bother now. dont worry you are not breaking any laws and doing the racing community a favour as far as I could find out.

I had a ringed racer in the last bag, It had a name and phone number stamped on the flight feathers. gave him a quick call. Nice chap. He said that if it has decoyed then its useless as a racer! thanked me for taking the time to call him. Felt better for being honest and calling him.

• 7 months later...

I shot a wood pigeon with a ring on once. Turned out it was taken from the nest, rung then put back. They do this to find out how far a Woody travells. Not sure if its true

I shot two woodies on the same field around a month apart both had rings on I contacted the BAO with the details and it turned out both were ringed from the same nest around 35 miles from my house !