Spelling and Grammar

Albertan_J

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I unfortunately suffer with dyslexia and the thought of someone on here pointing out the odd spelling mistake would not help me at all. i find it hard enough to reply to posts on here without some smart **** telling me ive made a mistake. :blink: :lol:

Whoa there that's a bit intense. I've never corrected your spelling have I? I've just made a general statement that the amount of topics on here with text message typing is shocking. Never attributed text speak to dyslexia I just thought it was a lazy way for people to type. :lol:

Totally agree :blink:

People will always make the odd mistake here and there. We're not perfect.

What really gets me is the lack of any punctuation in some posts, making them almost incomprehensible.

I don't bother reading posts I can't understand.

totaly agree with my fellow forum members,what the hell difference does it make,its the message that's important.you're post is not in the spirit of info sharing that this forum is about, I think you may have a little too much time on you're hands to be criticising others use of our mother tongue.......that chastisement over,if u ever go on an american forum u see very little in the way of grammer/spelling mistakes!!!

totaly agree with my fellow forum members,what the hell difference does it make,its the message that's important.you're post is not in the spirit of info sharing that this forum is about, I think you may have a little too much time on you're hands to be criticising others use of our mother tongue.......that chastisement over,if u ever go on an american forum u see very little in the way of grammer/spelling mistakes!!!

The message may well be important, but it's next to useless if it's written in a way that it makes no sense.

Far from having too much time on my hands, I don't have enough time (or patience) to read posts 3 or 4 times over so they make some kind of sense.

As I said in my original post "People will always make the odd mistake. We're not perfect". (I would include myself in that statement). It just seems to me that some people make more effort than others to get their point across.

Is it just me,but whenever I send a text message it is always written in full,never using shortened wording,always punctuated and using correct grammar?........but then again I am nearly fifty. :blink:

If I receive a "txt spk" message I reply without spaces or punctuation,so the other party has to make an effort to read it. :lol:

We see this type of thread nearly as much as the threads about police knocking / immigrants / what do you do for a living and how did you get your username threads.

Lots of mickey taking about folks spelling and grammar will end in a dummy being spat, everyone sympathising with the dummy spitter (probably a dyslexic) , maybe a bit of name calling and the thread will be closed.

:blink: :lol::lol:

Exactly, but when the message is in a long paragraph of imcomprehensible gibberish I don't bother reading it.

The worst culprits are those who post with a question written in text speak. If they can't be bothered clearly

stating the question then I can't be bothered trying to work out what it is before trying to help them.

I think this is mostly down to schools over the last 20 years or so when there's been less emphasis on

what you write being grammatically correct and spelt right and more on the content. This is why 'youngsters'

object so strongly when they're brought up about spelling/grammar, they aren't used to it.

When I was at school it didn't matter what you were writing it had to be spelt properly and make sense

or you'd lose marks.

Nial (old-ish ***).

what i don't understand from the posters that have dyslexia (and I do sympathize) is that misspelled words are normally underlined in red. right clicking will give more options.

don't get me started on text speak!! :blink:

Again I'm not perfect, but I do spell check when posting on the interweb, just seems a lot more people have less pride in their presentation.

bigt

Typos, punctuation, grammar and the odd speling mistake (sic) are fine, what I hate with passion is text speak and chav speak, which I believe are just different dialects of the same...

My personal hate list

m8

innit

you know like

r u

Bredren (Chaav speak for Brethren)

The word "whatever" when used as a punctuation mark, or as a reply when the person using having lost the argument is uanble to find any intellect to form a coherent response.

kewl

cuz

l8r

What is wrong with wanting to communicate well, frankly it's embarrasing how little respect for education and our National language people have.

I don't really care what people write any more. If it looks like ****, I just don't bother to read it.

If they can't be bothered learning the language, I won't waste my time reading their scribblings.

It seems to be a sad fact that there are those who seem to take a pride in being semi-literate :hmm:

I never read text speak. If I look at a long sentence and there is no punctuation, I don't bother reading it, it's bound to be sheeeyte :hmm:

There is hope.

My 9 yr old son is being taught how to use full stops, commas etc, and to put capital letters at the start of sentences.

He's not finding it all that easy, but he is making progress.

My plea to aid legibility would be for line spacing. It makes a post a lot easier to read even if the spelling/grammar is not 100%.

In addition to my earlier reply, I think that if you make the effort to write a sentence/statement in normal writing rather than txt speak, it shows your willing to be a mature coherant forumite and are therefore taken more seriously.

If I had a topic up asking for help on a permission and someone replied in txt speak & someone replying normally (spelling mistakes or not). I'd favour the second reply just for the effort put into it.

Scott

Edited by scotttomo