Bread maker

ziplex

Would be nice to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread but is it relatively easy to get right, anyone tried one with success? Now the Mrs makes me, herself and my two daughters sandwiches for work every day it could possibly be cheaper too.....and hopefully tastier than Asda's finest poly' wrapped sliced loaf?!

I make it all the time, great bread but not sure about cheaper..... more expensive than budget bread but on a par with the better loaves.

I use an Aldi basic machine and see no reason to change.

Taste is the most important thing really :good: , do you simply bung in the ingredients, set timer and forget until it's done?

I would,nt recommend the Aldi machine because they might be cheap but spares are very hard to get although they do make very good bread and are great value.The panasonic range are best long term because you can get spares on the auction site and they are fairly sturdy.Dont buy one if you think that it will save you a lot of money-decent flour (and you will buy every type you can-like a kid in a sweet shop) is not cheap and cheap flour rarely works.In my experience if you need the bread for sandwiches you will find carving the loaf easier with an electric knife as the bread tends to be taller and softer than your supermarket rubbish.Once you get used to your machine you will learn when the mixing cycle has finished and you can remove the paddle from the dough before baking starts-worth remembering.If you keep the machine outside of the kitchen then make sure you bring it in for a couple of hours b4 you use it as some breads are very sensitive to temperature.Hope this is of some help. :good:

Edited by bruno22rf

We have a Panasonic bread maker, and the bread is fab. The pizza bases are pretty special too. My wife finds it easy to use.

Another vote for Panasonic. Can get spares easily. We wore the pan out after about 3 years of almost daily use (~1000 loaves) try getting a spare Aldi one?!

Anyone make bread without a machine by doing it the old way?

Just got the rayburn fixed and now looking for things to cook in it,

:hmm:

I had a bread machine briefly, but found the odd occasion when it didn't work properly, or left pockets of dry mix unacceptable... Especially when all you want is some nice, fresh-from-the-oven bread :yes:

I make mine from scratch. Doesn't take a huge amount of time. In fact, most of your time is spent doing something else whilst waiting for the dough to prove and bake!

Can't beat real bread, real butter melting into it... Think i'm gonna have to go bake some! :good:

Anyone make bread without a machine by doing it the old way?

Just got the rayburn fixed and now looking for things to cook in it,

yup done it when we had an aga dead simple used to make 10 loaves at a time, its slightly more time consuming as you have to wait for it to rise etc but does tend to make better bread than a machine. Just freeze most of them

Misses got one for her birthday and hasn't used it yet. I have and it's ok, bread isn't bad but not as good as a proper loaf from the oven. Good to wake up to but then you're meant to leave it to cool/moisture to evaporate for a short while.. fustrating when you just want to scoff it down!

As said earlier, pizza dough is good. I still haven't tried bread rolls and nut/wholemeal breads which sound ok.

Bread making...is this the WI I've logged onto? :hmm:

I've got a kenwood machine, and its made many a loaf, usually yer stock Crusty White but I've made a few secret recipe jobs as well, I even got custody of the machine when I got divorced :good:

Get a quality machine, with a 12 hour timer, and a Quick Bake option: you just put extra yeast in to speed things up! (always follow the instructions). Mine is easy, just lob the ingredients in, make sure the dried yeast is kept seperate from the salt, and select the program number (number 10 for quick, extra crusty!) Lovely :oops:

You won't save money, you will probably spend more once you start experimenting, but you will get organic, chemical and preservative free bread! I use olive oil instead of butter so its even healthy :oops:

My Aldi one was a present, when it breaks I'll not bother to find spares, I wil buy another one. It has been going strong for over a year now :good:

I do the paddle trick when I remember :hmm:

I also add more water than advised but then add the seeds etc at the begining so that it will actually mix rather than make a mess with an overly wet mix. This trick seems to get the :oops: will all who taste it :oops: It makes it lighter

I also add a bit of milk powder to the mix.

It's all been said already but another vote for the Pansonic machine here, ours is so old I can't even remember when we got it.

Apart from making bread once or twice a week it gets used for naan bread as well, which is :hmm:

Hi all

I am glad I retired when I did, if all you shooters are now making your own bread.

The poor craft baker (not supermarket) will be out of business very soon.

If you make your own, without a breadmaker machine, prior to placing dough in the oven scald a little flour with boiling water, to the consistancy of wall paper paste, brush this over the surface of the dough before you cut the surface.

This will give you a sharp crackly crust, also open the oven door a fraction for 5/10minutes before removing bread from the oven, tap the bottom if it sounds hollow them it should be baked, when cool use a sharp knife to cut the bread, with a shallow serated edge, and most importantly enjoy your creation, and remember you did not have to start work at 2.30 in the morning to make it.

Bakerboy Terry

ps the best time to make a dough is when you are in a bad mood you take out your temper/frustrations on the dough, it works a treat, remember to mould the dough really tight for a better crumb structure.

Edited by bakerboy