Are Teague chokes worth the money???

Marley29

Hi all,

I am tempted into getting a set of Extended Teague chokes or possibly Victory chokes for my Beretta 686E which has mobil chokes.

I usually stick to 1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top for sporting.

The question is, are they really worth paying out for? Will it make much difference when shooting clays out to 40 yards or so, or are they just another bit of kit that doesn't make a blind bit of difference?

If you have any experience with these and can advise of any plus/neg comments I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teagues are top flight stuff. The advantage with extended chokes is that they are easier to swap. I suspect the average shooter would not be able to tell the difference. I have used flush mobil chokes and Optima extended. I prefer the Optima

(for the reason stated), but can't tell the difference.

I would spend the money getting your gun fit checked or a lesson.

I think the main advantages of extended chokes are that they are easy to change,if you are into that,and they protect the end of the barrel from knocks.

Both Briley and Teague are of excellent quality and accurate machining.The Briley has the advantage of being able to use the standard Beretta choke key but it's as easy to hand check them for tightness as you go along.

The Teague choke differs in its design in that the choke restriction tapers the whole length of the choke as opposed to the normal practise of a tapered portion followed by a parallel portion. You can read all about it on Teague's website.

I use an extended Teague 3/8 choke in my auto and am well pleased with it.

Vic.

Teague chokes from my experience makes for a pain in the *****, the ammount of people at one of the shoots i goto that have the chokes in a little case thing, stand there watching other peoples then get to the firing point and start talking amongst the group saying "hmmm looks like a 3/4 full for this bird then proceed to swap chokes every single stand.

but yes they are good chokes but unless you are into choke swapping i would stick to the standard key jobs, unless you are getting up there with the best of them you aren`t giong to benefit.

Best chokes on the market in my opinion.

I have a pair of extended Teagues that live in my MK70. I purchased them with the gun as well as a set of extended Brileys, i patterned them (also the standard invectors) and the Teagues were head and shoulders above the others (tried about 6 different cartridges), a much more consistent pattern.

Since then they have only been taken out of the gun about once. I dont believe in choke swapping and 1/4 and 1/2 is more than enough for me (especially when the pattern is that good).

My old man shoots a pair of ported Teages in his Blaser and considering he is shooting Cyl Cyl he hits very distant clays. Clearly not much wrong with those patterns.

For me the main reason to shoot extended chokes is that you can check they are tight by hand. No key required. Personally i don't like distractions between stands, so its nice to be able to just tweak the chokes tight. (My Miroku always loosens chokes as a lot of guns do)

Best chokes on the market in my opinion.

I have a pair of extended Teagues that live in my MK70. I purchased them with the gun as well as a set of extended Brileys, i patterned them (also the standard invectors) and the Teagues were head and shoulders above the others (tried about 6 different cartridges), a much more consistent pattern.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 1/4 & 1/2 in the used section and see how I get on.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Teague chokes are first class top end engineering. For me they are the best so I have the best but that does not mean I need them or that my shooting will be improved by them any more that by my choice of cartridge. However, in shooting there is a psychological element that should not be understated. It’s the shooting equivalent of the Witch Doctor and when you know your pattern and cartridge is as good as it can be then it places the mind into a winning frame and can’t help but help you. If you drive the best car you can afford and wear a nice suit - you feel good because you look good and perhaps better that your peers so too your gun, cartridge and chokes. However, if you attempt to quantify it in scentific terms for most of us our shooting falls apart long before we can blame chokes (or for that matters the makes of the chokes) - we missed the bird because we were nowhere near it!

PS Even though I use teague chokes I don't mess about changing them - I also believe more birds are hit than missed through the use of open chokes. Unless your an Ace Shot why not try Skeet and quarter at sporting. Out to 40 yards opens chokes help not hinder.

Edited by Towngun

• 4 years later...

Teagues are just chokes there is nothing special about them or what they can do, they are extended as are carlsens brileys so many others, in the aftermarket choke industry teague gets by with threading barrels on chopped or non multi choke guns, and in this country he has become popular, but briley do the same job at less money and have a good choke range available to boot, far more options than teague ever produced.

As for quality they are properly made and produced but as i said they are nothing special they dont do anything special, what i mean by that is they dont produce a choke 30 though nover full choke that you can shoot f steel through and the choke survive without a scratch.

Now if he made something like this you could start calling them top flight words like that but as they are they are chokes plain and simple no bells no whistles and no huge folowing based on performance like some other choke types out there.

Teagues are just chokes there is nothing special about them or what they can do, they are extended as are carlsens brileys so many others, in the aftermarket choke industry teague gets by with threading barrels on chopped or non multi choke guns, and in this country he has become popular, but briley do the same job at less money and have a good choke range available to boot, far more options than teague ever produced.

As for quality they are properly made and produced but as i said they are nothing special they dont do anything special, what i mean by that is they dont produce a choke 30 though nover full choke that you can shoot f steel through and the choke survive without a scratch.

Now if he made something like this you could start calling them top flight words like that but as they are they are chokes plain and simple no bells no whistles and no huge folowing based on perception of performance like some other choke types out there.

They are well made and light. But as far as I'm concerned a choke is a choke.

The ones that claim amazing patterns are usually just slightly tighter than they claim.

They are well made and light. But as far as I'm concerned a choke is a choke.

The ones that claim amazing patterns are usually just slightly tighter than they claim.

Agree in principle here, but some of the aftermarket american chokes are rather special in performance and if you can harnes that performance put those patterns to good use in your marksmanship you can gain an edge.

Some choke tube types just work they have well thought out profiling dual tapers etc these can offer real improvements.

Big names are Terror Indian Creek Muller and laterly Jebs but seminole suntoy and many more are unique in performance and not just your standard sort of choke.

Teagues by comparison are just chokes firms the world over produce std type chokes, and Briley offer threading just like teague and i will say their choke tubes are as good as many out there and cheaper, even cheaper than teagues.

Briley and Mandel are the best! :good:

Nice to see this thread again.

Never had a mandel i know they are just up the A1 a bit, but what are they like, he once said he would copy a terror if i wanted, that was 5 or so years ago, but i found another way of getting them out the states then, so did not bother.