car accident

mikky

last sat my lad was driving through a crossroads when a woman coming in the opp direction turned right in front of him and hit the car putting a 2 foot long crease in the wing and door,he pulled over ,she pulled over and got out then jumped in her car and drove off before my lad could get to her,sensibly he didnt go chasing after her...he got the make and model and rang the police monday morning after getting a quote from the garage,only to be told that because he didnt ring the police within 24 hrs there was nothing they could do .The damage is only 200 quids worth,but why should this woman get away scott free, i have since found out from the reg no of her car who she is insured with and her policy number..........so where to next.....any suggestions

mikky

straight to her insurance company and make a claim, surely she has damage on her car to match, most insurance companies will just accept liability, you could suggest to them that you will employ your own loss adjuster to have a look at her car.

she has committed a criminal offense by leaving the scene of an accident surely the Police would be interested !!!

straight to her insurance company and make a claim, surely she has damage on her car to match, most insurance companies will just accept liability, you could suggest to them that you will employ your own loss adjuster to have a look at her car.

she has committed a criminal offense by leaving the scene of an accident surely the Police would be interested !!!

no mate...the police say within 24 hrs or its too late :blink:

i will ring her insurance co tomorrow

mikky

i have since found out from the reg no of her car who she is insured with and her policy number..........so where to next.....any suggestions

mikky

If you have managed (some how) to get the above info, can you not get her address and go round?

I am not suggesting going round "with the boys", but maybe she just paniced and is no regretting it?

Maybe a polite face to face can help you both out, as even claiming off her insurance genrally will have a negative on your lads (even though they say it will not)

So, my sugestion would be to get cash?

If you have managed (some how) to get the above info, can you not get her address and go round?

I am not suggesting going round "with the boys", but maybe she just paniced and is no regretting it?

Maybe a polite face to face can help you both out, as even claiming off her insurance genrally will have a negative on your lads (even though they say it will not)

So, my sugestion would be to get cash?

i am working on the address....its taking a little longer...wont be going round but will send a letter inviting her to pay for the damage

mikky

thanks for the replys.......any police officers on pw that would like to comment ...

at the end of the day it was only an accident, i am not out to get her in trouble or points on her licence etc,,,just pay for the damage caused

mikky

Edited by mikky

Aye, it would be a pity if she found her car on bricks with no wheels in the morning and

you happened to have a spare pair of **** wheels that cost whatever it'll cost to fix the

car!

:blink:

Niall

Aye, it would be a pity if she found her car on bricks with no wheels in the morning and

you happened to have a spare pair of **** wheels that cost whatever it'll cost to fix the

car!

:look:

Niall

niall...pre fac days that thought might have crossed my mind....... now ( and then )i am a law abiding citizen and justice will prevail.......... :blink:

mikky

It's not you who is getting anyone in trouble. She did that when she hit and ran.

Either put it on a proper legal footing or pay the bill.

Personally, I would report her to the Police and go to her insurance. She isn't bothered about you and your lad.

looks like i will be going down the legal route :blink:

looks like i will be going down the legal route :blink:

The lady has committed the offence of failure to stop AND failure to report.

Road Traffic Act

March your son up to the police station with MOT, Insurance and D/L and stay there until an officer takes a statement of witness regarding the accident. Your son has also committed the offence, but as there was no injury, it will not be prosecuted by cps (Do not allow him to accept a caution for it).

Just because the accident wasn't reported within 24hrs does NOT cancel out the "failure to stop" offence. Sit in the police station until you get an accident report/incident report number. Just because the accident wasn't reported within 24hrs does not somehow make the accident "invalid".

Basically the police are just being lazy and can't be bothered to deal with it. Ask one of them to show you where in the RTA it says that the offence of "failure to stop" is void if the other party doesn't report the accident within 24hrs.

The lady has committed the offence of failure to stop AND failure to report.

Road Traffic Act

March your son up to the police station with MOT, Insurance and D/L and stay there until an officer takes a statement of witness regarding the accident. Your son has also committed the offence, but as there was no injury, it will not be prosecuted by cps (Do not allow him to accept a caution for it).

Just because the accident wasn't reported within 24hrs does NOT cancel out the "failure to stop" offence. Sit in the police station until you get an accident report/incident report number. Just because the accident wasn't reported within 24hrs does not somehow make the accident "invalid".

Basically the police are just being lazy and can't be bothered to deal with it. Ask one of them to show you where in the RTA it says that the offence of "failure to stop" is void if the other party doesn't report the accident within 24hrs.

I agree with this completely. Get your son down the police station and don't leave until it's sorted. Each force will be different but you should be provided with a reference number which refers to your incident.

I have had many jobs where people have failed to report within 24hrs. As your son stopped the vehicle to exchange details, while the other driver failed to do so, she commits a worse offence as she hasn't even checked to see if anyone was injured.

The Police can often go and see the other driver and strongly advise them to make contact with the victim to resolve the issue. If not they would be reported and sent to court for fail to stop and fail to report.

ATB

Mick

Naturally your son can bring a small claims action for the cost of repair. It would be wise to obtain three estimates for this work.

It would be good if his insurers paid for a solicitor to make such a claim. However, because you cannot recover legal costs in the small claims court (non personal injury claims under £5,000) , it would not be cost-effective for you to employ a solicitor yourselves to chase after £200.

Similarly, as the case would not allow a solicitor to recover his costs from the other side, it is not suitable for a no-win no-fee agreement.

Does your son have details of any witnesses to the accident ?

I would hope his word would be believed over that of the fleeing miscreant at court. The court would need to be convinced that it was more likely than not that his version of events is the correct one.

Otherwise, carry on with the Police as described above but don't be scared of issuing your own small claims court claim.

there is some bull on here, what you need to do is report it to your insurer that is it, She left the scene and your son obviously got her reg number and your insurers will take it from there. They simply look her details up on the Motor insurers database and put a claim in against her, Make sure its reported to the police regardless of whether they can take any action or not.

Thirdly teenage sons can be creative with the truth as far as hiding from parents quite how accidents happened so just ensure he is telling the truth

there is some bull on here, what you need to do is report it to your insurer that is it, She left the scene and your son obviously got her reg number and your insurers will take it from there. They simply look her details up on the Motor insurers database and put a claim in against her, Make sure its reported to the police regardless of whether they can take any action or not.

Thirdly teenage sons can be creative with the truth as far as hiding from parents quite how accidents happened so just ensure he is telling the truth

:blink: spot on i say